Why become a member? ×

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1374773048' post='2153101']
You know Skol (and paulflan), this is NOT helping me to give up GAS! :(
[/quote]

Haha, sorry about that :D Paul does offer good rates for his work... and no, I'm not on a commission! But I'll certainly be going back to him in future.

Worth dropping him a line if you're interested.

[b]Another quick update[/b] :)

Headstock cut...

...body cut

...it's really starting to take shape now!

Next steps are to add the frets, carve the neck out, glue the sides on, route bridge and pickup slots, finish, then set up.

As always, I'll keep y'all updated as it happens.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1375629635' post='2163623'] :o It's going to be nice!![/quote]
[quote name='urb' timestamp='1375697439' post='2164315']Looking good... I'm liking the finger board for sure[/quote]

Cheers guys! Yeah, it's definitely coming together now :) I'm a real fan of the overall shape - it's based on a previous bass that Paul built (and has since sold). The fretboard is a real beauty... I got to see it when I met up with Paul at the NW Guitar Show. Lovely piece of wood.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1375704115' post='2164430']
Cheers guys! Yeah, it's definitely coming together now :) I'm a real fan of the overall shape - it's based on a previous bass that Paul built (and has since sold). The fretboard is a real beauty... I got to see it when I met up with Paul at the NW Guitar Show. Lovely piece of wood.
[/quote]

The fretboard nearly has a zebra quality too it, although very subtle. Nice and classy! :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1375717716' post='2164684']The fretboard nearly has a zebra quality too it, although very subtle.[/quote]

Definitely!

...although rest assured no wild animals were harmed in the making of this bass. Well, not until we add the panda skin finish :crazy:

[I am of course joking - rhino hide gives a much better tone]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1375718279' post='2164693']
Definitely!

...although rest assured no wild animals were harmed in the making of this bass. Well, not until we add the panda skin finish :crazy:

[I am of course joking - rhino hide gives a much better tone]
[/quote]

:D Rhino hide would also make your bass pretty indestructible! :P

• 1 month later...

Ok it's about time we had another update, innit? :D Well the hardware has now arrived!!! Fresh in from the US of A.

Paul is planning to get cracking on with it this week, so I'll keep y'all updated on the next steps. Now far to go now... very exciting. Here are a few pics in the meantime:

[i]Hardware and electrics...[/i]

[i]Body ready for routing and assembly...[/i]

Things are really moving on now :) Paul's been busy this week assembling the various components of the bass. Next steps are to finish the pickup routings, install the hardware and electronics, finish sanding and then... well, it's nearly finished!

Here are some pics of where we're at. Thanks as always to Paul for his hard work and craftsmanship.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1381531961' post='2240528']Wow! It's really taking shape now! Looks a beauty! It's probably not something I would ever decide to buy, but it looks well, I think. You lucky, talented sod! :D[/quote]

Haha, cheers Milty! I have my Irish ancestry to thank for any luck I may have ;)

It's definitely taking shape, as you say. Paul has done a cracking job of the build and I really love the design even more now that it's put together.

Not long to go... exciting stuff! I'll keep you updated mate.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1381538542' post='2240572']
Haha, cheers Milty! I have my Irish ancestry to thank for any luck I may have ;)

It's definitely taking shape, as you say. Paul has done a cracking job of the build and I really love the design even more now that it's put together.

Not long to go... exciting stuff! I'll keep you updated mate.
[/quote]

Ha! We aren't as lucky as some would make out. I mean, just look at this weather! :D

It is looking well. It looks far better in the flesh than on paper. You'll record a demo of it, won't you? :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1381540554' post='2240574']It is looking well. It looks far better in the flesh than on paper. You'll record a demo of it, won't you?[/quote]
[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1381580933' post='2240901']And win the composition challenge with it too :P[/quote]
[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1381581356' post='2240913']It's a vicious cycle... :D[/quote]

Haha, cheers guys! It's definitely a virtuous cycle... ahem :D

Damn right I'll be recording material with this bass! It's rarely going to be out of my hands. Well, maybe when I take a bath and y'know, stuff. I'll put together a 'dry' recording of some kind once it's finished - just the bass with no FX, so you can hear how it sounds.

I'm also hoping to bring it to one of the bass bashes so folks can have a play on it.

Not long now... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm really pleased with the design! I've had a play on the original bass built by Paul that this one is based upon (now sold) and it was great. It's a very distinctive look and handles well too.

It's being fitted with Nordstrand pickups and preamp, so it should sound beastly :D

I'll keep you updated and post up a recording once I get my sticky paws on it...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384304425' post='2275145']
Nearly there mate? Looking good :)
[/quote]

Cheers Nige! Yeah it's coming along. Paul's been busy on a few commercial jobs - including a rather tasty buckeye burl jazz seen here...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160998-13-guitar-co-basses-for-sale-and-build-diary/page__pid__2274539__st__120#entry2274539

...but we're reaching the final stages of this build, so it shouldn't be too long now :)