Why become a member? ×

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

Cheers for the comments all!

[quote name='paulflan0151' timestamp='1357600049' post='1925332']We should probably decide on a fretboard first as we might have to compromise with the board being so big. As for wood. I'd go for mahogany.[/quote]
Nice one Paul, I'm happy with mahogany.

[b]Anybody got any suggestions for a fretboard wood?[/b] I'm only familiar with rosewood myself - that's what's on both my other basses (a battered yet beloved Ibanez EDB600 and a defretted Hohner P-bass copy).

[quote name='Roger Evans' timestamp='1357655448' post='1926066']Thats a fine looking design! Nice work. I'm a P-bass man myself but I like the shape of this. Eyecatching and original. Reminds me a bit of a Curbow which I also like.[/quote]
Yeah, I love the shape of it. Paul's made a 36-fretter in the same style, which is what this build is based on. I posted a pic of it on the first page of this thread. Caught my eye the minute I saw that!

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1357658124' post='1926134']Lovely design :) Although ...the bottom horn seems quite far back , couldn't this potentially make it a little neck heavy when its resting on your leg?[/quote]
Good point. The bottom horn is going to be shifted slightly forwards towards the body to give it a bit more 'leg room'.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357659545' post='1926172']That's looking good. To me it has a bit of a LeFay vibe.[/quote]
Definitely! Great comparison.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357663314' post='1926278']Not a huge fan of that top horn at the moment, but that's me. I prefer things a tad... pointier :P[/quote]
Nah, I love that chunky top horn! That's a really strong feature of the design to me. I'm not keen on horns that join the neck with no gap (although Mike (Urb) on Basschat has a very nice Sei bass with a joined horn/neck!). But chunky is good :gas:

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357686319' post='1926921']Re fretboard wood - I have [b]tiger ebony[/b] on my fretless 5 and it feels lovely...[/quote]
Thanks Bluejay! Sounds exotic... :) I'll have to do some Googling to learn more about it.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357687671' post='1926950']IMO the curves on the top horn are a bit odd, the middle cut could do with a smoother angle. all IMO etc.what position are the pups in? it looks quite warwick a-like[/quote]
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc! :lol: I persionally like the steep angle of the top curve. Like the horn itself, I think this really contributes to the overall shape. That's not dismissing your input though Luke, genuinely appreciated mate. I can't comment on the p'ups position - they look like normal soap bars to me - but Paul might have an answer. We haven't got into any detail on the electronics as yet, but will do so further on in the build. Watch this space!

^ Cheers for the input folks. I'd never considered ebony for the fretboard but will investigate and ask Paul what he thinks.

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1357742247' post='1927599']Personally i'm sort of on the fence about the design cant decide if i really like it or really dislike it lol.
Its different thats for sure which has to be a good thing. Love the extra frets.[/quote]

Ha ha, that's what I like about the design! :D It's got loads of character IMO. The original bass it's modeled on has 36 frets; this one's going to have 28 which is fairly unconventional but a great addition I think. I like playing high using an octave pedal to get a synth-like tone on electronic tracks, so those few extra notes will come in handy. Anyway, cheers for the feedback Elvis! Good to hear from you mate.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357828981' post='1929134']I've got another draft in progress with a tweak by the bridge too. The problem is I'm no designer/artist [/quote]
Nice effort, Charic. It's a bit too pointy and [i]heavy metal[/i] for my tastes :D but I do like the continuation of the line where the top and bottom horns join the body (i.e. the fact that the line there matches up on either side of the neck). That aspect of it definitely adds something. Thanks for the idea mate!

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1357826517' post='1929048']Aye man i like playing hi with an octaver too. Do you have a hothand by the way? It seems if anyone would it'd be you. I fancy one but im just a bit worried that i'd either use it on everything or on just one track lol.[/quote]
Nah, I don't have a hothand - it's something I might explore in future, but for now if I need those kinda noises I reach for a synth instead. They are cool though... but as you say, I'm not sure whether the novelty would either wear off quickly or take over completely. I've got a live project in mind for later this year (fingers crossed), so [i]perhaps[/i] I might look at getting one then. We'll see ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1357591059' post='1925079']
Got the initial drawing back from Paul at [url="http://www.13guitarco.com/"]13 Guitar Co[/url] and wow! - I'm very pleased with it :) He's going to extend the lower horn slightly to create some extra leg room for playing sitting down. Other than that it's good to go.

Next step is to order in the wood. I'm currently thinking of a dense material like mahogany/myrtle/ash for the body and maybe bubinga or maple for the neck... but all that could change!

If anybody wants to make suggestions then please do - I'd welcome any input throughout the build.

Cheers.
[/quote]

Normally I think single cuts look stupid and fugly but thats really nice... Keep us updated :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1357861677' post='1929861']Normally I think single cuts look stupid and fugly but thats really nice... Keep us updated [/quote]

Cheers! Yeah, I love the design myself. I suppose it's a kind of cross between a single and double cut. Must admit I'm not normally a huge fan of single-cut bodies either, although there are some nice ones out there (Mike Flynn/Urb on Basschat has a lovely looking single cut Sei).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to keep this thread updated during the build, so watch this space... :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1357860612' post='1929840']
Nice effort, Charic. It's a bit too pointy and [i]heavy metal[/i] for my tastes :D but I do like the continuation of the line where the top and bottom horns join the body (i.e. the fact that the line there matches up on either side of the neck). That aspect of it definitely adds something. Thanks for the idea mate!
[/quote]

No worries! I think that was the main bit that was bugging me :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357827050' post='1929061']
I had a play with the shape on my phone during a 2+ hour wait at the doctors and came up with this :)

[/quote]

I like this version, although i don't like the bottom horn of the original design, or charics one. I would change it, i just have no idea what to. Of course, all that is just irrelevant, because it's not my bass :)

^ Cheers for the comments folks. I must admit I haven't thought far enough ahead to start on the fittings and electronics as yet - that's not me being lazy, I've just been obsessed with reading up on different wood choices at the moment ('tis a genuinely fascinating topic!).

Speaking of which... as it stands, I'm thinking of a mahogany body, with perhaps a wenge/maple laminate neck and a fretboard that I'm still pondering (the shortlist is currently maple, ebony, rosewood or pau ferro. But other suggestions are welcome!).

Paul has explained that the wood needs some time to aclimatise to his workshop, so once it's on order there'll be chance to start thinking about the rest of it :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1358118778' post='1933568']
Paul has explained that the wood needs some time to aclimatise to his workshop, so once it's on order there'll be chance to start thinking about the rest of it :)
[/quote]

That's how i know it will be a great bass. He obviously takes time to make sure it's right!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1358120151' post='1933597']That's how i know it will be a great bass. He obviously takes time to make sure it's right![/quote]

Cheers Milty, I couldn't agree more! I think Paul's love of his craft speaks for itself. First time I saw his website I was blown away by his handiwork - very impressive and a great diversity of designs.

Anyway thanks for the comments mate and feel free to post suggestions here whenever you like - I appreciate your input :)