Why become a member? ×

Rosewood or Maple 'board?

Kobra11

Some might say maple is harder and gives a brighter sound, but I prefer the look of a R/W board.
[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/4778-maple-vs-rosewood.html"]http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/4778-maple-vs-rosewood.html [/url]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1354380816' post='1885410']
Lots of people say that a maple board will give a brighter tone than a rosewood one, others will say there's little difference & that the choice is more aesthetic than anything else.
[/quote]
This. In 2 lines Rhys has captured the sum total of human knowledge on this question. There really isn't anything to add to it.

I've played both and liked both, however I find the feel of a maple board a tad nicer and the tone like others say is slightly brighter, it's not a massive difference though! Aesthetically it depends on what you're going for, but play both and see what you think it's personal choice at the end of the day :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1354382525' post='1885434']
This. In 2 lines Rhys has captured the sum total of human knowledge on this question. There really isn't anything to add to it.
[/quote]

This forum would be a far better place if everyone displayed the intelligence & good taste that you so obviously possess.
:)

In my own experience , the amount of laquer on the maple board playes a big part in how much difference theur is between maple and rosewood boards . The extra brightness people traditionally associate with maple is actually more to do with the laquer on the board rather than the actual maple itself , so how different the same Fender bass with rosewood and maple boards sound is to a certain extent dictated by what kind of finish is on the board . In the mid to late 1970s Fender basses with maple boards were covered in a thick layer of bulletproof laquer that even coated the frets , and so were much brighter sounding as a result . Nowadays the laquer is much thinner , so there is not as noticable a difference . Choose the one you like the look of the best . They will both sound like a P Bass .

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1354384539' post='1885460']
This forum would be a far better place if everyone displayed the intelligence & good taste that you so obviously possess.
:)
[/quote]

Rhys is not just an intellegent man , but a good- looking one too .

Happy now ?

Edited by Dingus

I`ve found that of the Precisions I`ve had with maple boards, they tended to have a snappier sound that the rosewood ones. But that`s at home practice volume levels. In all honesty, in the mix, and recorded, I couldn`t tell the difference. So go with the best player, unless you have a specific colour combo fave - for me, its Oly White/Tort/Rosewwood.

my P has maple and a terrific grindy growl sound due/helped by the more present top end. But - and to be frank the strings/pickup/body wood are all also going to have an effect as much as the neck.
Having said that I would love to know what Rick's Fine's slab P bass build will sound like with the maple laminate fretboard on maple.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1354382525' post='1885434']
[/quote]

One thing to add, in the long term, when you come to a refret, rosewood will be cheaper than maple - no relaquer. Other than that the above applies.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1354396555' post='1885619']
i think alot of confusion is caused by this argument... maple vs rosewood... on a PASSIVE bass maple is brighter than rosewood, especially with a laquered board... when you intoduce an active system its almost impossible to tell
[/quote]

You'd be pushed to notice it recorded. It's a bit of a myth.

Personally, I prefer maple boards on my basses both on aesthetic and sound. I've found there is a little bit of a difference sound wise as it gives a bit more of a brighter sound where as rosewood gives more a mid pronounced sound. Tested this by swapping the necks over on a Precision Bass I had a couple of years back and did straight recordings with it.

On a last note, nothing can beat a black bound maple fingerboard with black block inlays and a nice amber tint. Phwoar!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1354397318' post='1885632']
You'd be pushed to notice it recorded. It's a bit of a myth.
[/quote]maybe recorded.. but i can tell the difference in playing a laquered maple fret board on a jazz to a rosewood fretboard on a jazz.... pickups were different granted but the maple board was a little brighter/harsher/aggressive.. a myth..? maybe it was the pickups...