Why become a member? ×

Want to run this past you please.

Dandelion

I am due to play a small pub gig (Rural/Local)

Would it be silly to take my Trace 1215 combo + extension cab, as opposed to just the combo?

We have a real drummer as opposed to a machine.

I prefer to utilise the extension cab with less volume on the combo, rather that using just the combo, but at a higher volume.

But I don't want to look like total twit.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1354054016' post='1881569']
Take the whole rig, at least it will be off the floor so you can hear it. Don't turn up too loud.
[/quote]
+1. The added height will probably mean you`re less likely to want to bump the volume up, plus there will be a greater depth to the sound. It`s what I do with my Markbass combo & ext speaker, when I`m not going through a house PA.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354061188' post='1881713']
Take the lot and leave the extension cab in the car until you find out if the combo can cut it or not.

If not then; hey presto….!
[/quote]

Good plan, until he decides he needs it, dashes out to the car and some bugger has nicked it :)

MMmmm... :unsure: The combo can cope volume wise when volume set at 5+, but it everything sounds fuller with the cab attached with volume at 4+. But I don't want to appear too "Spinal Tap". I think I will take the cab, and just stick the cover on it and use it as an amp stand for the combo initially and connect it all up only if necessary.

Adee.. We just do the standard rock covers thing.

Cheers for you time all.

The only people who will think you are a twit are the people who don't know what they are talking about. I play with a 15" combo and a 410 cab under it. I get to play it at low volume, it sounds great, i can see what is happening and I can hear what is happening.

The last gig we played, (small pub) the sound guy said, "that's a bit over the top isn't it?" as he walked past our two guitarist's 2x 412 cabs and tube heads.

He then mentioned later on that he had a GK 210 700rb combo that he blew up.

I rest my case

The Trace head in that combo will "only" be giving 150w into its own cabinet's driver. Halving the impedance to 4 Ohms by adding a second 8 Ohm cabinet will allow it to deliver about 300w (rms)
I found that my AH300SMX and 1153 cabinet could only really manage (without PA assistance) against a small PA amplifying acoustic guitars and vocals.
Introduce a drummer using more than brushes or Hotrods, and you'll be struggling to hear yourself or to be heard over the rest of the band.
You can always turn it down!