Why become a member? ×

Wal bass - refinish or leave alone?

BB2000

I have an early 80's Mark 1 which is one of these basses that you just can't put down when you pick it up (it has the perfect neck for me). It's had a lot of playing hours from me and the previous owners and so it shows playing wear (for example there's a depression in the body where a previous owner rested his thumb). Most of the Wal's I see for sale look as if they've never left their case.

I'm probably going to have to sell this to raise cash, although I'm not sure what the market is like at the moment - a few years ago they were going for silly money in the states, but I haven't seen much activity lately.

What I'm wondering is if I should get it refinished and tarted up before i sell, or leave it as it is. What do you lot think?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354035451' post='1881238']
If you are going to sell it and it is in otherwise original condition, I'd leave it as it is.

If you decide to keep it and can't live with wear then talk to [url="http://www.walbasses.co.uk"]Paul Herman at Wal[/url] to see what your options are.
[/quote]

^ This . End of story .

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1354102960' post='1882012']
I am gonna guess leave it "as is" as anyway Paul herman will probably not answer back to your inquiry. I had the exact same thing, a wal needing a refin'... took him 7 month to get back to me.
[/quote]

Sounds about right, asked about a refret about 2 years back - took about 6 months to get a price. Pete always had a reputation for being difficult to get hold of (particularly close to his retirement) but I always got an answer to any query on the spot.

This probably won't help much, but my old Aria SB-1000 is currently being restored/refinished. This is mainly due to it being abused for a decade or so by me and my drummer. It was absolutely covered in dents from being wacked with drum sticks, bashed on cymbals and generally thrown around. A further decade spent in a dampish loft were not kind either.

In mitigation though it has sentimental value, is a 'keeper' because of that, and was barely playable as it was. Having been stripped back to bare wood it will be finished with an 'ultra-blond' clear coat rather than the original honey, and will have gold hardware to 'match' the brass bridge. You never know, I might actually gig it again.

I will eventually post photos in the build diary section (when I get my hands on them/it!).