Why become a member? ×

Do you think this is a genuine 1978 Fender Precision?

Rothers

w[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1354122002' post='1882381']
Why not? How about 49?
[/quote]

well feedback is pretty important if your an ebayer if they have like only a couple of feedbacks they could have just set up the account with the intention of ripping you off ... the more feedback the more you can trust them

Looking at the US auction it seems it might have hex grub screws on the bridge, which also isn't right for the year. I wouldn't consider it until I'd seen pictures with the neck and scratchplate removed, and any bid would have to take all the changed parts into consideration.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354150068' post='1882907']
Why is the neck alignment on the piss?
[/quote]

Because it's a late 70s Fender. That might be the reason for the lack of wear, on account of it being a complete dog and consequently has hardly been played.

When I was helping out at my local music shop in the late 70s not a single one of the Fender guitars and basses that came in were in a fit condition to go straight on display. Most had mis-aligned necks, many had far more problems. All of them required time with the in-store guitar tech before they were in a saleable condition. By comparison, the Ibanez and Aria instruments that came in at the same time rarely needed even tuning.

Threads like these highlight two common but unfortunate facts.

1. Ebay is a minefield, and that the default mindset appears to be "believe nobody".
2. Buying "older" or even "vintage" Fenders is a total nightmare - and should not be approached by anyone except existing experts.

The main question is my mind is [i]why[/i] would you buy a 34 year old bass? If it has investment potential, and you intend to put it away for another 20 years in the hope that it will make money, fine. But this instrument, with it's bizarre machine head downgrade, is surely unlikely to do that! So It's an old bass that is being sold for a similar price to a brand new one. But from an era when the Fender "quality control" (sic) was notoriously variable. Several people have already questioned the presence or absence of certain "key" features, and others have confirmed or denied that their assertions were correct!

Jesus. Is it really worth it? :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354180542' post='1883027']
Because it's a late 70s Fender. That might be the reason for the lack of wear, on account of it being a complete dog and consequently has hardly been played.

When I was helping out at my local music shop in the late 70s not a single one of the Fender guitars and basses that came in were in a fit condition to go straight on display. Most had mis-aligned necks, many had far more problems. All of them required time with the in-store guitar tech before they were in a saleable condition. By comparison, the Ibanez and Aria instruments that came in at the same time rarely needed even tuning.
[/quote]

I can vouch for this. I worked at a well known music shop and hire centre in the late 70s and most, I reckon as many as 4 out of 5, were indeed unplayable out of the box. Always gaps in the neck poket. Misaligned control plates, etc. Some of them were very, very heavy too. There were some good ones and these used to get sent for hire while the boat anchors were foisted on the retail buyers. Gibson stuff wasn't any better. There were a lot of horrid Les Pauls. Westbury's were the nicest thing in the shop by some distance at the time.
It was a real boost to vintage* sales.

*anything over 10 years old back then!

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch it with someone else's. I'd want to see it in the 'flesh' as it were before making a decision given the asking price.

It just doesn't look right for a 34year old instrument. My 20yr old Squier has more 'ageing on it than that Fender. (ok, that might be down to how it was kept and stored but...)

As soon as I played my 78P in the shop, I knew by the way it sounded and played that I had to have it. I didn't know anything about Fenders at the time and didn't know how old it was - just that it was the nicest playing and sounding bass I had ever played. I traded my Stingray for and have had no regrets.
Investment was not a factor (despite my inexperience, luckily the price was fair). The weight and neck pocket gap have never been an issue.

I suppose the points I'm trying to make are:
- If it's a great bass, it's a great bass regardless of year/brand, but yes, in hindsight ensuring that you're paying the market value is prudent.
-Not all late 70's Fenders are dogs
-Try before you buy!

I wouldn't dismiss that ebay one, as it could be a great bass. I'd try it out, and if good, check the gubbins/establish exactly what is original, and negotiate a substantial price drop based on the findings.

[quote name='Joker2807' timestamp='1354183229' post='1883088']
i think the bottom line is avoid it mate
[/quote]

I know that intentions can be misinterpreted on forums, so apologies If I have mistakenly detected a patronising tone in your post.
I'm not in the market, but I stand by the point that if you can get a great playing and sounding bass for a price where you wouldn't lose out if reselling, then go for it. Don't be put off trying something just because something is not original or from an era of ill-repute. [i]As long as the price is right[/i].

:-)

I`ve only played three 70s Precisions, loved them all, and owned two of them. Unfortunately circumstances meant I`ve had to put mine up for sale, but had the circumstances been different, I would no way have let them go.

Have to add though, if I were buying a regular recently made instrument, I`d have no problems buying untried, but with an older "vintage" instrument, I`d want to check it out/play it before making the decision.

Edited by Lozz196

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, Tally said:

My Red Wine 78 still has the thumb rest attached, with the bridge cover and the pick covers in me case.   As peep's have mentioned - why Wilkinson's?

12 year old thread... that might be a record!  :)  

• Like 1