Why become a member? ×

Starting-A-Band Blog/Diary

Truckstop

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1355216693' post='1895368']
.... and rolling around on the floor of the marquee.
[/quote]

That's fine with me!

Ha ha, no I also shared your concerns but I figure that if they ever so get nasty I can simply get rid of one (underhand I know but I'm trying to run a business here!) and if they decide to run off with each other (fnar) then I'd hope they are conscientious enough to give me notice and I can recruit a couple more singers!

Either way I don't think I can turn this opportunity down; I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I've found not one, but two great singers first time!! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that!

Yeah gonna need a keyboard player sharpish. I'm thinking I should go it as a five piece for a while, build up a reputation, get all the promo stuff sorted, get a dep for recordings and stuff and then when I have a business together then I think it'll be a lot easier to find someone.

Thanks for all your input guys!

Alex

Subscribed

Was in a band with 2 girly singers last year - one had a great belt it out voice and the other was a bit more refined. We found stuff written for female singers worked a lot quicker and easier than songs written for fellas. The pitching is way different. Theres plenty of stuff around though - think Blondie, Pink, Tina Turner, Adele, Katy Perry, Motown, Kim Wilde, Spice Girls, Girls Aloud, Beyonce, Abba, Sheryl Crow, Fleetwood Mac

Also Pm'ed

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1355181212' post='1895227']
I was trying to think of some bands which featured 2 female vocalists, as that could be a starting point for some interesting stuff : Abba obviously, Rumours era Fleetwood Mac, Heart, The Corrs (kind of), errrr ......... Any more? Probably loads, and I'll kick myself for forgetting.
[/quote]
Baccara. Believe it or not, "Yes Sir I Can Boogie" is the number 7 (yes that's right seven) best selling single of all time! Worldwide.

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1355307967' post='1896581']
One of the bands i play for has 2 female singers, as well as Blondie we've thrown in Eurythmics, Pretenders, Adele. Currently looking at KT Tunstall's Suddenly I See and also Tainted Love, the original Grace Jones version. Nice quick win there with Tainted Love.
[/quote]
My band has [b]no[/b] female singers, but we do [i]Rehab[/i] and [i]Stand By Your Man[/i]!

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1355307967' post='1896581']
One of the bands i play for has 2 female singers, as well as Blondie we've thrown in Eurythmics, Pretenders, Adele. Currently looking at KT Tunstall's Suddenly I See and also Tainted Love, the original Grace Jones version. Nice quick win there with Tainted Love.
[/quote]
Meant to say Gloria Jones, not Grace ! :blush:

I got chatting to a guy at a black tie corporate who was doing the sound for a female duo. He was telling me that they get stacks of work in either the 2 girls and backing tracks format, or ( he's the guitarist ) they go out as a 5 piece, and they are always busy. Didn't hurt that the girls were both stunningly pretty, built like Kelly Brook and one blond,one brunette. The fact they had great voices was, he advised, the least of the issues, as the dance floor was full of middle aged insurance brokers having a good letch at the pair of them and their spray on Lycra outfits, and they always got repeat bookings. Sad to say that we are so predictable eh chaps, but nice work if you can get it for the band.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1355216693' post='1895368']
Hmm, call me a pessimist, but I have a bad feeling about the '2 female singers' thing. Two possibilities spring to mind:[list=1]
[*]They learn to harmonise together, become best buddies, get fed up with splitting the money so many ways, and leave the band to go and work as a duo with backing tracks.
[*]They become ultra-competitive, argue over who sings what, start to hate one another, and get involved in an on-stage cat-fight at a wedding gig, which ends with them knocking over the 7-tier wedding cake and rolling around on the floor of the marquee.
[/list]
[/quote]

That's what BJorn said to Benny.
Of course Benny thought he was talking Swedish sh*te, and the rest is history.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1355216693' post='1895368'][size=4] them knocking over the 7-tier wedding cake and rolling around on the floor of the marquee.[/size]
Might never happen of course....
[/quote]

This image is refusing to go away, rolling in the cake (to the tune of Adele, which makes the image a little less pleasant...)
:)

• 1 month later...