Why become a member? ×

RH450 + RS210 Not loud enough

lloydage

Hi Folks

Hoping someone can help me out here..

Yesterday I played a gig with my band. We're a blues rock / garage rock band. The Stooges meets Dr Feelgood. Simple set up - Me (bass), 1 guitarist, 1 drummer and 1 singer. Just the 4 of us.

We played a small-ish bar/club that holds approx 200 and it was half full.

I played a MusicMan Big Al SSS 4 string through a TC RH450 and 1 cab (RS210). The Big Al was on Active and pretty much high up on most controls. The RH450 was on max gain (without red light flashing constantly) and the master volume was all the way up. Tube Tone was also up to about 9 O'clock and other EQs were mostly at either 1 or 2 O'Clock. The tweeter control on my RS210 was halfway at 12 O'clock.

The guitarist plays a Fender Telecaster (that has a hot rail) through a Fender Blues Junior Red October and he's loud. Very Loud!!!

Our drummer is also very loud!!

None of us were mic'ed up so we were all relying purely on our amps and drum kit.

Could I be heard above the drums and guitar? No.

I really thought with my rig I could stand up to the others but I couldnt. The rig lacked volume and punch.

This has now led me to the following questions

1) Was this an amp issue? Should I trade in my RH450 for an Orange Terror Bass 500 or MarkBass Little Mark III or GK MB500?

2) Was it a cabinet issue? Was 1 cabinet simply not up to the job? If I had added either a 2x10 or a 2x12 or a 1x12 from TC would this have sorted this issue? Or perhaps with just 1 cab you need to be mic'ed

3) Or are TC cabs just not that great and should I look at using my RH450 with different cabs altogether such as Bergantino HD??

Can anyone assist here?

All I want is a gigging rig that gives me plenty of punch but doesnt break my back lugging it around. I dont want an 8x10 fridge.

Thanks
Lloyd

I had a RH450 with one cab (although it was a Schroeder 2x15) and it was always loud enough. Whatever's said about the TC amps and their technical RMS output, their real-world volume is plenty. I'd say the RS212 under your 210 would sort the volume problems in the simplest and probably cheapest way. They come up s/h on here occasionally, too.

Whats your eq like? If yiuve got lots of extra bass being added that sucks a lot of volume. Also turn the tubetone down a bit, youre losing clarity.

I would add a second cab to raise up the 210 and make it easier to hear. The di output is handy too.

Your amp and cab are fine, you just need a second cab.

You're only putting out 280-ish watts into 2 10" speakers. Another 210 or 212, as many TC players do, will increase your amp to 4 ohms and more speakers = moving more air, therefore more volume.

[quote name='lloydage' timestamp='1353752755' post='1878057']
We're a blues rock / garage rock band. The Stooges meets Dr Feelgood.
[/quote]

If the Stooges met Dr Feelgood in a bar there would be one hell of a fight. No wonder you couldn't hear yourself! :blink:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353760561' post='1878157']
Your amp and cab are fine, you just need a second cab.

You're only putting out 150-ish watts into 2 10" speakers.
[/quote]

Corrected. :P

Ooops, Pete beat me to it.

Like everyone says though - add another cab. :)

Orrrr......

You could sell it & get a louder 2x10 (or other cab).

Ive played the RH450 through an RS210 many times without a problem. I usually put an RS112 underneath and use the acoustic reflection thing. I'd get one of those as an extension cab rather than the RS212. I play the RH750 now though ..... and there ain't that much difference. Cab placement and where you stand may be an issue.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably just purchase a 2nd RS210 and that should easily give me enough volume. It probably was also to do with cab placement (as being so low on the floor I couldnt really hear myself) and tweaking the EQ (i.e. upping the preset levels, some of the mids and perhaps pulling back on the bass).

Cheers
Lloyd (OP)