Why become a member? ×

Zoom b9.1ut General discussion thread.

Shockwave

Got the editor working on the Mac, once I had worked out that MIDI Out on the USB->MIDI cable needed to go to MIDI In on the B9 :huh:

Now trying to decide whether as a first task to edit all the User editable patches in the Total section to EQ flat across the board, Level 80 (unity according to the manual) and [i]probably[/i] Mix 80 (to keep a bit of original) for use with the amp.

Suggestions as to Yay or Nay from anyone else who has had one for a bit longer and uses one as multieffect in front of their amp?

Father Christmas delivered the goods, just need to figure out how to use the thing now! Read the manual a bit last night, but need to find the time tonight to sit down and programme all the patches I want. Got next gig on Saturday, and I'd love to be able to use it if possible!

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how solidly built it is, not how I remember zoom pedals of the past being!

Well I got chance to spend a little while with it tonight, but didn't get on so well......

It just seems really difficult to set up the patches I want, and incredibly complicated to use! I didn't seem to find any sounds I liked much, and it all just sounded a bit too processed and multi-fxy to my ears.

Glad I hadn't got rid of my pedal board yet! Seriously considering returning it at the moment, just don't know if I've got the time or patience to see if I can coax any useable sounds out of if. Bit gutted to say the least!

Clearly I'm just thick, because noone else has had any problem setting it up! :D

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1356705560' post='1912679']
I think the Zoom set up method suits some more than others. TBH I needed to use the manual before my B2.1 made any sense, so I can only suggest a session of RTM while twiddling.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'll have another go with it this evening. Got a bit despondent last night, but I'll give it another good try before I throw the towel in.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1356729888' post='1913087']
I'm intrigued to know whether there is a difference in the quality of amp sims and effects between the B3 and B9? With the B3 being the newer kid on the block I was thinking this may be the better option? Had my own thread on this but it seems as popular as a fart in a space suit.
[/quote]

I'd be surprised if many people posting in this thread had the option to compare the two: it mostly seems to be full of people who have bought a cheap B9 and are working out how to use it.

If you have a B3, or know someone that does, why not find someone with a B9 near you and get together for a bake-off?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1356862444' post='1914314']

I'd be surprised if many people posting in this thread had the option to compare the two: it mostly seems to be full of people who have bought a cheap B9 and are working out how to use it.

If you have a B3, or know someone that does, why not find someone with a B9 near you and get together for a bake-off?
[/quote]

I have neither hence the enquiry!

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1356877813' post='1914584']
I have both and I'm finding the sims in the B3 have the edge over the B9 for me
[/quote]

Thanks for that.
I think it was to be expected. The B3 surely shows Zoom's way forward, and of course we can expect a larger board soon, seeing as the B9.1ut goes for peanuts now.
B6.2ut?
B10.4ut?
B73.26ut with integrated live BootsyLee SklarCollins? I'm saving!

best,
bert

Anyone still wanting one of these - £85 delivered from DV247 but you have to ring them to get that price, they're £99 on the website. Got mine yesterday so not had a real chance to try it out yet. It would be great if people could post the patches they've set up as there aren't many on the web.

I know the B9 does midi , but if I plug a midi keyboard ( tecnics digi piano thing with general midi etc) via 5 pin din into the B9 , will it send the midi signal through via the usb into my computer? . I am struggling a bit with this totally as I can't make it work. however , this piano has plenty of virtual sounds , instruments , drums and stuff already , and I can record audio piece of proverbial .

Do I need the midi ? I think i do, but what am I missing regarding the signal chain?

Reading through the manual while waiting for my faulty B9 to be replaced it would appear that you cannot place a Tubescreamer in front of an amp model as you can with a B3. Am I correct?

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1357175523' post='1918838']
I know the B9 does midi , but if I plug a midi keyboard ( tecnics digi piano thing with general midi etc) via 5 pin din into the B9 , will it send the midi signal through via the usb into my computer? . I am struggling a bit with this totally as I can't make it work. however , this piano has plenty of virtual sounds , instruments , drums and stuff already , and I can record audio piece of proverbial .

Do I need the midi ? I think i do, but what am I missing regarding the signal chain?
[/quote]

I think the MIDI is to change patches and settings on the B9 - not to provide MIDI out to control a synth module or software.

MoJo - I can't see a reason why you should not be able to use some kind of booster with an amp model in the same way you would with a real amp. Not so different in many ways from using an active bass, boosting the signal, only with some dirt.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1357211524' post='1919046']
The amp models and the od pedals are in the same virtual bank. One or the other. :-(
[/quote]

As I thought. Not good. I can see me selling the B9 on when I get my replacement

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1357207872' post='1918983']

I think the MIDI is to change patches and settings on the B9 - not to provide MIDI out to control a synth module or software.

MoJo - I can't see a reason why you should not be able to use some kind of booster with an amp model in the same way you would with a real amp. Not so different in many ways from using an active bass, boosting the signal, only with some dirt.
[/quote]

I meant the onboard tube screamer and onboard amp sims

Finally crumbled and treated myself to one of these. Very impressed so far but i've only had a quick go through the headphones. Like to try it through the amp before I reach my final conclusion which i'll do at low volume this weekend at home then crank it up on Monday night when I rehearse with the band. So far.....so good. Bought a Roland UM-One midi-USB interface at the same time so looking forward to seeing how well that works as well. I'm storing/using the unit in a Diago Gigman case and it fits very well along with the power adaptor.