Why become a member? ×

Opinions On Options Please...

bassjamm

Hi all,

Apologies in advance, this may be a bit long winded.

I'm about to move out and won't have too much space for gear, so I'm shedding a load of unused and unwanted stuff. However, I want to get myself a tidy little rig sorted to accommodate love level practice, jams, and small gig needs.

Currently I have an Orange TB500 amp which I think is spot on. Nice and simple. However, it is for sale and I am considering parting with it and getting myself a small combo (like the TC one). I do love it's valve qualities though...but I have a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket that I use as a valve pre for grit when the TB500 isn't an option. So valves in an amp/combo aren't essential.

I'm without a cab :/

I play mainly funk/groove based stuff. Mainly finger style, but I do like to rock out with a pick in the comfort of my own home from time to time :) I'll be using my Precision, and if the Wood & Tronics doesn't sell, that as well.

So...I've been offered a few different things, and I'm considering a number of options...[list]
[*]Ampeg Micro VR swap for my Orange TB500 - Pros, nice and compact, love the Ampeg tone, looks cool... Cons, might be a bit too small
[*]Bergantino HD212 purchase - Pros, love 12" cones, packs a heavy punch, nice and compact for a one cab option (i feel)... Cons, money that could be used for other perhaps more important things at present
[*]Barefaced of some kind - Same as the Bergantino on both accounts, except I'd probably have to buy one new as they seem to stick with their owners.
[*]TC Electronic BG250 Combo - Pros, one stop shop really, fun to be had with the toneprint, can sell the Orange... Cons, may be a bit limited, guessing it won't have a very warm sound.
[/list]
The Bergantino and Barefaced options would both mean keeping the Orange. So not only would I be spending out, I'd also be keeping a piece of gear I could raise funds from.

Any thoughts on what you may do given the above?

Thanks in advance...more for putting up with reading than anything else, ha!

Jamie

When I moved down to London, I sold up and bought an Ibanez P5110 Combo, perfect for low level practice, as it's really very small, plus the headphone out and aux in are very useful, it puts out more than enough volume on its own to keep up with a drummer at rehearsals, and small gigs - assuming you're not in a metal band, can be used for very effective on stage monitoring when there's PA support to be had, you can hook it up to an 8 Ohm cab to get the full 500W out of it and if all else fails, you can pop the head out and fire it through 2 big cabs.
I finally got my hands on an EAD Foundation 112 cab for when needs must, too good to let it slip by, but for 99% of the time, the combo by itself is perfect.

I have a love/hate relationship with 10" speakers, much prefer the natural low end of a 12" speaker, but whenever I get close to parting ways with this little combo, there's nothing that can really compare for my needs right now.
By the sounds of it, it would suit you too.
Might be worth considering one if you can find one, or perhaps something similar?...

Eude

Another amp worth a look at is the Markbass Mini CMD121P. I`ve been amazed at how much sound is generated from such a tiny little amp. Plus it`s easily loud/full enough for gigging with my 8-piece band on its own (though I do have an NY121 speaker as well, if needed). I like a very traditional warm P-bass sound, and this amp can easily do that. Very small and light too.

I think you need to decide whether sound or size is most important, one needs to come first. Berg is the best sound to weight ratio but NOT small or that portable. Barefaced - demands on the model. Personally the Big Twin T is the only one I'd want to play for a gig. The Compact is phenomenal in volume for its size, but sound quality is not particularly bassy or inspiring (IMO). The others are going to leave someone with your experience of gear, shall we say, underwhelmed.

The best balance of size to sound (and factoring in price) is, IMO, a Berg AE112 or HT112 if you can get one. Add in a Genz Benz Streamliner 3.0 (one on the forum for 220), you should be able to nap that for a little over 500-600 quid total on the S/H market. Powerful enough for small gigs (I've done big band gigs with a similar rig). Literally it's bass in one hand, amp in gig bag, cab in the other hand. It's also got a valve that you can drive for more gainy sounds, but is also easy to dial back for more solid-state response.

Thanks for the opinions guys. That combo sounds Ibanez combo sounds interesting not sure if it's my bag though.

The Markbass gear is just wrong in my opinion,but thanks for the thought.

As for your thoughts Mark...the weight of the HD212 isn't an issue. It's size isn't too bad (got a tidy little nook it'll fit into you see :-p ). I think it'll give me the biggest sound in the smallest enclosure. Bearing in mind,my holy grail of cab is the SVT610HLF! But a pair of Aguilar DB112's could tempt me if only the price was right...but I digress!

The Genz Benz sounds interesting. Are you on about the Shuttle that's just come up? And are you sure it's got a valve? I don't see any mention of one on their site.

Surprised to hear that on the Barefaced though.

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1352810908' post='1867651']
Thanks for the opinions guys. That combo sounds Ibanez combo sounds interesting not sure if it's my bag though.
[/quote]

I appreciate that, I wasn't sure about it, but pulled the trigger anyway, change in lifestyle forced the decision. I've been nothing but amazed since though. WoT is a big fan of these little buggers too. If you are looking for one, I'd suggest you try one out first just to be sure, if you can make it over to South Croydon/Sanderstead way, you're more than welcome to try mine.
There are a few other combos out there that might meet similar criteria, Tecamp's Puma Combo 110 might do it if you can get hold of one, but the head ain't removable, and there's the new Ashdown MiBass Combos which have a removable head too, but I think they're kinda pricey for what they are.

Surprised to hear that on the Barefaced though.
[/quote]
I've heard similar, mixed reviews of some of the earlier designs, but the newer 12" based cabs seem to get nothing but good feedback, still not convinced about the build quality but man alive, do I love the look of the more retro styled ones :)

Eude

The Silver grille cloth option does make the barefaced cabs look killer . . . I've a compact and find it really full and strong in the lows - YMMV of course, I'm using a GK mb fusion with it - which does give out a fair amount of low end. Never played through a berg, let alone A/B'd them so I can't draw a comparison.

The barefaced cabs are built with a pretty balanced approach IMO. They are designed to be light and rugged.
They are very very light, and feel well put together (everything fits fine, looks good, and works without issue - at least my version of the compact does). The only niggle I have is the feel of the duratex coating - it looks good, is readily touched up for repairs, and seems to be very tough - but it feels rough and unpleasant. Still feels better than rat fur, and while tolex might feel better . . . I'm not eager to strip and reapply it after it scraped and torn.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1352818592' post='1867798']
The Silver grille cloth option does make the barefaced cabs look killer . . . [/quote]

+1

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1352818592' post='1867798']
The barefaced cabs are built with a pretty balanced approach IMO. They are designed to be light and rugged.
They are very very light, and feel well put together (everything fits fine, looks good, and works without issue - at least my version of the compact does). The only niggle I have is the feel of the duratex coating - it looks good, is readily touched up for repairs, and seems to be very tough - but it feels rough and unpleasant. Still feels better than rat fur, and while tolex might feel better . . . I'm not eager to strip and reapply it after it scraped and torn.
[/quote]

Had no idea you could patch and repair the finish, that's pretty cool :)
My impressions of barefaced are based on a fairly old compact from a while back, so things may well have changed wildly since then...

Eude

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1352808781' post='1867601']
The Compact is phenomenal in volume for its size, but sound quality is not particularly bassy or inspiring (IMO). [/quote]

Interesting! Can't say that I've found either - but everyone's ears are different. You get out what you put in IMO.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352818876' post='1867805']
+1

Had no idea you could patch and repair the finish, that's pretty cool :)
My impressions of barefaced are based on a fairly old compact from a while back, so things may well have changed wildly since then...

Eude
[/quote]

Perhaps they've changed. I know they've reworked some of the bracing to stop light heads vibrating!

The Markbass gear is just wrong in my opinion,but thanks for the thought.
[/quote]

Ha, know what you mean. I used to really dislike the look of it, but once I`d heard a few bassists use them, and loved the tone I altered my viewpoint. Still not over-keen on the looks now, but my ears win the battle.

The Berg AE112 needs a good pairing ampwise, IMO... and it can have a hardish sound. This is typical of NEO, IME, and I would suggest
a GS112 as a cheaper alternative or better still, a pr. These are relatively basic cabs but they do low end very well, and you'll find them easily enough.
I think the Berg is a better cab but not worth the premium price.

If I could swap my Berg AE112 pr for DB112's then I would as they suit the sound I'm after, more.

What about keeping the Orange amp and buying a Barefaced Midget. Small size and low weight plus loud enough for small to medium gigs and not just a rehearsal rig. A real professional level rig. They can go deep too if you want - just use the EQ to taste.

If size is less important then the Compact offers a more in volume and depth for a small increase in size and weight.

Frank.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1352834757' post='1868168']
A couple of £ will get you a large black (or whatever colour you like) permanent marker. Pop the grille off the MB & colour the cone, problem solved.
[/quote]
Don`t get me wrong, I`m so happy with the sound, I want people to know I`m using Markbass gear, so the yellow cones are staying. I just prefer vintage looking gear, which Markbass certainly isn`t.

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1352892412' post='1868839']
How about getting one of the Orange SP 2x12 cabs to go with the head. Could always even add a second one in the future.
[/quote]

Very good idea, as you can get the full 4 Ohms into one cab with the TB, right?

Eude

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352902344' post='1869106']
Not much point in drawing all the watts when only one speaker is actually moving air.
[/quote]

There's two speakers in the SP212 cab, although aren't they acting as one, not really sure how isobaric stuff works... :ph34r:

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1352906616' post='1869220']There's two speakers in the SP212 cab, although aren't they acting as one, not really sure how isobaric stuff works... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Half the power is going into moving the front woofer (which makes sound) and half into moving the back woofer (which makes the front woofer think it's in a bigger enclosure but doesn't make any sound). So if you've got 500W going into an isobaric 2x12" the sound coming out is equal to 250W going into a standard 1x12" of twice the net (internal) volume.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1352906876' post='1869224']
Half the power is going into moving the front woofer (which makes sound) and half into moving the back woofer (which makes the front woofer think it's in a bigger enclosure but doesn't make any sound). So if you've got 500W going into an isobaric 2x12" the sound coming out is equal to 250W going into a standard 1x12" of twice the net (internal) volume.
[/quote]

So, does that mean the cab technically goes lower, but at the expense of volume then Alex?