Why become a member? ×

Beatles bass lines....wow!

iconic

Paul McCartney is a bass guitar genius . His virtuosity is in his taste and imagination , and the countless hooks , motifs and melodies he creates in his supremely well- crafted bass lines . In the Beatles and indeed his later work , his playing serves as a role model for bass players in popular music of all kinds on how to be creative while serving the music as a whole . One of his greatest skills is to be able to come up with lines that are so simple , so straightforward and and so obvious that only a genius could think of playing them , and in my book that puts him in a rarified group of bass players that has very few members . He is a master of the hook bassline and his lines provide a structure for the music in a such a intellegent way and that's what makes him a truly special player . There are hundreds of players who can be all kinds of flash, but they will never come up with a line like this in a hundred years of trying :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4NmRqeHPs

Edited by Dingus

I'm glad about this thread, so many people make silly comments dismissing how good he was (is?)

And if you came up with the early stuff now it would still be amazing, but he did it back when there was far less history of pop to draw on

Edited by lojo

Try Helter Skelter - ok it's John on a bass IV and Paul on g****r but still a great song, for me it has a punk edge to it before punk was around

Sgt Peppers album is excellent and for songs check out Day Tripper, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Help!, She Loves You and just because they are really good, listen to Golden Slumbers - Carry that Weight - The End as they are separate songs but all feed into each other

Sorry I mean the VI - heres a link to wiki if thats allowed.......[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Bass_VI"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Bass_VI[/url]

My understanding is it's essentially a guitar that sounds like a bass but sized like a guitar............. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1352591728' post='1865051']
Having been born in the 1950s and brought up during the height of 'Beatlemania' i've tried to avoid the Fab Four ever since.
[/quote]

Me too, though sadly too young to have ever seen them play. Strange you feel the need to avoid their music though. Do you also avoid the other influential bands around at the same time? the Stones, Kinks, Small Faces, etc etc (it's long list!).

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1352592667' post='1865060']
My understanding is it's essentially a guitar that sounds like a bass but sized like a guitar............. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, but it's a lovely, quirky bass (I virtually ruined a concert for my then wife once, coz I kept telling her we needed to see that bass afterwards, and that I needed one badly - this was before I even switched to bass).

BTW, thanks for this thread folks!

best,
bert

I have always enjoyed listening to the Beatles... However, since taking up the bass I have found I appreciate them on a whole new level :D

Our band has a new singer, and the first song she wanted to introduce was Dear Prudence.... Never heard it before, but what a gorgeous bassline :D. Great song to play too.

Although with many tracks how on earth Sir Paul has managed to play that bassline and sung at the same time has left me in complete awe! His voice may be past it now, but Blimey Charlie what a musician!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1352576864' post='1864875']
Exactly. Trouble is, some people confuse not liking something with it being rubbish. Never mind.
[/quote]

It crops up a lot round these parts unfortunately!

I recently got to record a load of Paul's parts for a symphony orchestra in Sweden, 'Martha My Dear' amazed me the way the bass part is superbly crafted around the orchestration, the doubling with the cello parts is a stroke of genius. I don't think there can be much doubt that Macca was a really thoughtful and incredibly musical bass player, he's certainly inspired me to look at the way I come up with bass parts. My favourite is still 'Something', I often struggle to sum up what I'd consider to be a near perfect bass part but that is almost certainly one of them.

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1352592667' post='1865060']
Sorry I mean the VI - heres a link to wiki if thats allowed.......[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Bass_VI"]http://en.wikipedia..../Fender_Bass_VI[/url]

[/quote]

It's essentially a baritone guitar, John and George often recorded bass parts with it, although George was far more adept with one than John was.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1352571733' post='1864797']
Rain is my favourite, the drums are ace on that too
[/quote]

I first heard that as a teenager in the early 80,s when I first picked up the bass, I had never heard the bass played so high up the neck before! It was my first experience of Macca as a bassist and not just a vocalist.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1352595795' post='1865101']

I first heard that as a teenager in the early 80,s when I first picked up the bass, I had never heard the bass played so high up the neck before! It was my first experience of Macca as a bassist and not just a vocalist.
[/quote]

I first heard it two years ago when I started playing, I had it on repeat for about an hour trying to figure out how to play it :lol:
Got there in the end though, same with Taxman which is quite similar

On the "Macca sings while he plays" issue, bear in mind that (1) the Beatles became a studio-only band in 1966 (the first ever studio-only band, in fact) so Macca didn't need to do both at the same time, and (2) before then he often played simplified basslines when performing live, especially on TV, since he knew no one would be able to hear what he was playing anyway.

As to why he used a pick, he was playing a woody-toned, shortscale bass with flatwound strings through inadequate amplification in a low-ceilinged Hamburg nightclub when he learned to play bass. I'm guessing that, like a lot of Basschatters, he was prepared to do anything to be able to hear himself while playing.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1352595781' post='1865100']

It crops up a lot round these parts unfortunately!

I recently got to record a load of Paul's parts for a symphony orchestra in Sweden, 'Martha My Dear' amazed me the way the bass part is superbly crafted around the orchestration, the doubling with the cello parts is a stroke of genius. I don't think there can be much doubt that Macca was a really thoughtful and incredibly musical bass player, he's certainly inspired me to look at the way I come up with bass parts. My favourite is still 'Something', I often struggle to sum up what I'd consider to be a near perfect bass part but that is almost certainly one of them.

It's essentially a baritone guitar, John and George often recorded bass parts with it, although George was far more adept with one than John was.
[/quote]

Ah that's a better explanation thanks!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1352595781' post='1865100']
My favourite is still 'Something', I often struggle to sum up what I'd consider to be a near perfect bass part but that is almost certainly one of them.

[/quote]

A truly superb bassline, also one of my favourites. But George Harrison (who wrote the song, of course) thought it was "too busy". :lol:

It is not really well known that George Harrison was quite good on the bass himself. Take a listen to 'She Said, She Said, Maxwells Silver Hammer and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight are a few examples of Georges bass prowess, Unlike John Lennons awful cock ups on The Long & Winding Road which makes me cringe when I hear it!! <_<

I can't add much more that has'nt already been said about his playing or songwriting skills. His vocals are pretty hot too, check out his general harmonies, or lead on numbers Long Tall Sally, Oh Darling, or Maybe I'm Amazed, which I could reach those notes!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1352632625' post='1865284']
A truly superb bassline, also one of my favourites. But George Harrison (who wrote the song, of course) thought it was "too busy". :lol:
[/quote]

I think that it had got to a stage where they were all suspicious of each other's motives when playing for each other's songs. I think it's a masterpiece!