Why become a member? ×

Endorsement with markbass

AaronScho

Hey people my band got signed to a pretty good deal on a pretty good label, so I was thinking since I'm gunna be getting a lot of exposure ( all ready have a bit) it wouldn't be too cheeky to ask markbass for an endorsement !

I think there's a few guys on here who are endorsed by them so if any one could point me in the direction of who I should get in touch with I'd be greatfull

Thanks !!!

There's an Endorsement Enquiries contact on the www.markbass.it website. Failing that I think Peter Murray is the Artist Relations guy (as well as pretty much everything else!) so if you can find his contact details he's a great guy to talk to.

Hope you get it! And congrats on the label deal!

Edited by chrismuzz

andyjimgram raised a few very valid points when it comes to being sponsored/endorsed artist.

My management hounded Warwick for almost 2yrs before they gave me an artist deal and that only came around when I met the artist rep for the UK at a support gig we were doing for a friend of mine that was already an endorsee. At that time we only just got signed and didn't even have an album to promote yet. Luckily, he really enjoyed my playing, he liked what we were doing and offered to give some support in the form of an artist deal for basses only, but I did actually buy a rig at retail price shortly after. I didn't have any free gear (except for a couple of boxes of Black Label strings), but he did give me a very helpful discount for the basses which I took full advantage of with the use of my puny advance. My name was used for Warwick PR on the website and printed materials which may have made me look like a fully fledged endorsee, but the truth was that I was a normal customer that had a more than reasonable agreed discount. Okay, it helped to promote me and the band when we were cutting our teeth, but ultimately Warwick were the benefactors as I still parted with a lot my money to buy my kit for the sake a name drop here and there.

My guitar player was already was one of Calrbro's main endorsee's back then and he helped to design a couple of their guitar amp products. They offered me a full endorsement to help promote a new line a bass amps. I went to the factory with Mike and met the team. The amps were still in development, but I built a very good rapport with the guys and felt that we could work together very well. As my deal with Warwick was only for the basses I took them up on the endorsement. A few months later I sold the Warwick amps in time of the launch of the new Carlsbro bass amps at the BMF show later that year. The rig I demoed that weekend came back home with me ready for our next tour. Carlsbro even gave us our own 6k FOH to support the tour and some other kit for a rehearsal room. It was a really good time and helped us out tremendously. I will always be grateful for their support when I was a young musician.

To cut a long story short, about 18 months later after I became an endorsee for Carlsbro the band split and I went into the shadows as a musician and songwriter for a while. I then decided to get back into the fold again as a hired gun, but I had sold most of my gear and no money to replace it. All I had was one remaining Warwick bass and a Lakland 55-02 that I bought whilst I was living in Dallas TX...both of which I still have today. I didn't have any amps or any other outboard gear. So, I thought I would go knocking on some doors to see if I could get any help to support my career as a session musician. As I had a good friendship with Carlsbro during the early stages of my career I called them first. They now only manufacture small practice amps, so they couldn't be much help to me as it concluded. I went to back Warwick and they couldn't give a monkey's. The reason being that I was not a familiar musician and not performing regularly enough with any big names. That was the same story with every other company I approached a few years ago. Since then my work load has increased to the point whereby I am playing full-time, my work is being used by popular artists over in the US and my profile is starting to build back up quite nicely, but I still can't get any sponsorships.

I am no longer worthy of a little help as it seems. It doesn't get to me as I never expect a free meal in this industry and I am more than satisfied with the kit I have now and I am able to do my job, but don't be fooled into thinking that a bass guitar or amp manufacturer owes you because you have just put your signature on a record contract or you played in front of the Queen with Robbie Williams last night. It doesn't work that way. I have friend that has played in arenas all over the world for the past 11yrs and only recently got his first artist deal with an amp company, which he has told me wasn't anywhere near his first brand choice, but is grateful for their recognition and support. Thats how it goes for us working players that have yet to be awarded with a Grammy. Companies sponsor/endorse you because they buy into what you do as a musician and feel that your name and level of exposure will benefit the brand, despite how awesome you think you are. You will find that most of the time the company will approach you with an offer and build a working relationship with you...in effect, you become a static sales rep for the brand which carries responsibility if they do offer a discount or free gear. If you are lucky enough to be associated with a brand remember that they chose 'you' and believe in what you do as they think you can help raise the profile of the brand in the marketplace. Be grateful...be flattered and don't take the mick!

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='AaronScho' timestamp='1352414553' post='1862898']
Thanks man !! If any one has any other contacts for other company's that they like pass them on !!
[/quote]

It's this quote that makes me think that you just want an endorsement with anyone.

I've got deals with a few companies,and have had different experiences than what others have mentioned.I'm not
really what you'd call a 'band guy',but I am a busy professional player who has worked with quite a few people.
My first deal with Spectraflex came after I emailed them about an order,and I got into a conversation with the
owner who had viewed my website (which I link in all my emails).The iGig deal was the same.The string deal was
similar in that I phoned up to order some strings and got talking to the Boss for quite a while.
Amps were a bit different. A few years ago I got talking to the Mark Bass rep at Bass Day in Manchester and was
offered a deal with them which I didn't take for various reasons,but mainly because I like their amps but they didn't
blow me away (and I'd recently bought a Genz Benz after a head to head test). With regards to Ashdown,I'd been
running into the rep at music stores for a while and often been asked about using their amps but I wasn't interested.
When the MiBass was being released I was called and asked if I wanted to come and check it out. I went and tried it,
loved it,and we struck a deal.I've not used anything else since and couldn't be happier-it's a great amp.
I've spoken to a few people over the years either at events or in stores,some are interested in what I do as a player
and some aren't because I'm not 'high profile' enough.Sometimes you speak to a rep who shows interest and have to follow
up via email or phone,but the artist relations guy isn't interested-It's swings and roundabouts. What you don't want
is to just hit up loads of companies hoping that one will give you something.

My own very limited experience with endorsement and sponsorship is that more often than not it is actually the smaller companies that are more inclined to take a risk on lesser known or less high-profile musicians than the big name companies. A smaller independant bass builder might be more readily prepared to sell one of his instruments at a discount to someone still trying to make a career who will give his work at least some degree of exposure and credibility , whereas the major brands can adopt a wait and see approach in the full knowledge that most of the people who approach them for deals will in fact come to nothing , and if they do become successful they will still probably be able to become associated with the musician in question anyway . I can think of at least two major bass brands started from nothing who have established themselves in the indusry very, very successfully by giving stuff away to established players like it was Christmas until they were in all the magazines and on t.v ect as part of a deliberate business strategy , and then promptly stopped and adopted a much more guarded approach once their brand identity had been cemented in the consciousness of the bass playing public. You can certainly see it from the companies point of veiw- they are after all in the business of making a profit and not part of a welfare system for aspiring musicians , and have to ask themselves if the value of whatever discount they are offering to a potential endorsee will be exceeded by sales from the resultant publicity, the answer to which will most usually be a resounding "no" .

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1352451096' post='1863114']
Congratulations, nice one.

I'd be lucky to get an endorsement with Marks & Spencer, let alone Markbass. Lol

Geoff
[/quote]

An endorsement with Marks & Spencer would probably be worth more , and Markbass don't do Scotch eggs.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352471600' post='1863516']

It's a Plan B. What does the OP do if MB aren't interested?
[/quote]
Carry on using their stuff? If Mark Bass said no and you jumped to another company,it shows that you don't care about what you use and will only go where the deals are.Use the gear you like-if you get a deal,great.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1352490122' post='1863882']
Carry on using their stuff? If Mark Bass said no and you jumped to another company,it shows that you don't care about what you use and will only go where the deals are.Use the gear you like-if you get a deal,great.
[/quote]

This!!!
I've got a couple of 'deals' (I prefer to call them good relationships) and its because I've been a customer for a good few years, an advocate of the company, and I love the gear.
Jumping between companies just for free/cheap gear doesn't breed loyalty or a tone you'll be happy with.

Si

I`d love an endorsement with Fender, Markbass, and Rotosound. Not really interested in any other companies, as although they make quality gear - and I have owned lots of it - the afore-mentioned are the brands that I have found work best for me. I doubt I`ll ever be in the position to get an endorsement, so for now I`m just happy to say I use those brands, cos they just sound great.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1352466733' post='1863441']
I'd never have the brass neck to ask for something for free. If you love the gear that much then support the company and pay up. If you got signed then use some of the money you'll earn.
[/quote]

While you're right, there's other stuff you can do to support a company. I've had an email thanking me for supporting GK on here for example.

I'd like to echo the sentiment about only being endorsed by gear you like. Once you're endorsed by someone, you're tied to them (even if only morally). If you're only after a discount then you don't deserve any kind of help from them. They should be showing you encouragement by giving you your benefits while you help them by staying loyal and showing that you support them by using their gear.

Wow lot of replys !!!
I'm getting more markbass stuff regardless of if I get an endorsement or not because I like those amps, would just help with a little cash off,

Only got a combo right now but need more power
But was just trying to get some info on it

To the guy that asked my band is called Coffee And Cakes For Funerals

Thanks for the read guys !!