Why become a member? ×

Android app idea

bremen

I have in my hand a smartphone. I tap it in time with the tune we're playing at its correct tempo. It remembers that tempo and saves it with the title of the song.

I repeat that for each tune in the set.

(Later, at a gig)

I select the songs from a list and arrange them into a setlist.I put the smartphone on a stand that the drummer can reach. The display is showing the name of the first tune in the set I've just arranged. He touches the screen.

The display flashes four (or eight, or whatever) times at the appropriate tempo for that tune. He clicks his sticks. Away we go.

Meanwhile, the display is showing the next tune...and so on.

Does this app exist, or can anyone help me create it?

Sounds like a useful app and not too difficult to develop (disclaimer: I know NOTHING about developing apps!).

I guess you'd also need to compensate for drummers who like to speed up as the song progresses. Maybe some kind of electro-shock system, wired to the mains? :)

Seriously though, this could do ok as a 69p offering. They are obviously other (possibly better) ways around the problem - creating a click track in advance of the gig, etc - but this has the advantage of being more immediate and 'in your pocket'.

Anyway, I'm just off to the Patent Office...

I have metronome apps and one of them allows tap tempo. All you need to add is a "save as..." button. the program would then save the tempo, you type in a name, it stores it as name.tempo and then you can open these files from within the metronome app.

I've done some programming in the past but I have no idea how to do android apps

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1352210319' post='1860133']
Something like this?:
[url="http://appshopper.com/music/clockwork-metronome-click-track"]http://appshopper.co...ome-click-track[/url]
[/quote]

that looks exactly like the right sort of thing but it's not for android, it's applestyley :o

Yes, but with the flashing display rather than (or as well as) audible click, so it's truly stand-alone, and with the emphasis on it being useable on a dark, crowded noisy stage. Big bright font for the setlist, moves on automatically to the next tune after it's introduced the previous one, that kinda thing.

And for Android. Apple can suck my lemon.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1352208058' post='1860077']
I have in my hand a smartphone. I tap it in time with the tune we're playing at its correct tempo. It remembers that tempo and saves it with the title of the song.

I repeat that for each tune in the set.

(Later, at a gig)

I select the songs from a list and arrange them into a setlist.I put the smartphone on a stand that the drummer can reach. The display is showing the name of the first tune in the set I've just arranged. He touches the screen.

The display flashes four (or eight, or whatever) times at the appropriate tempo for that tune. He clicks his sticks. Away we go.

Meanwhile, the display is showing the next tune...and so on.

Does this app exist, or can anyone help me create it?
[/quote]

You should keep ideas like this to yourself otherwise someone else might end up making a bit of money! :P

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1352212383' post='1860173']
Jeez, you guys heard of Google? :P

[url="http://www.ollapp.com/app/clockwork-metronome-click-track/android"]http://www.ollapp.co...k-track/android[/url]
[/quote]

Not available yet?

that "Metronome: Tempo" app looks like it'll do the job. it's 65p though and i've not yet added a payment method to my phone so can't try it at the moment.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1352217634' post='1860269']

Not available yet?

that "Metronome: Tempo" app looks like it'll do the job. it's 65p though and i've not yet added a payment method to my phone so can't try it at the moment.
[/quote]

I've signed up to get notified when it is, so I'll let you know.

Would be good to get a few more details of what you require just to be clear about things.

The songs you want to set BPM for: are they just ordinary mp3's from the sdcard?

If all the songs you will be playing remain a constant BMP and you just want to tell the drummer that inital BPM then its quite simple, If you wanted to tap out the entire song, taking into account bpm changes throughout the song, and then reflect these changes back once the drummer sets of a tune (i.e the bpm changes on the screen in realtime) then thats something much more complex.

EDIT: ahh i think I just realized that you are talking about tapping the beat as you jam it live, same applies though, if your songs are kinda like jazz and the BPM is jumping then this will have to be weaved into the app, increases the worklaod significantly

Edited by bruno von

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]No, what is google?[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]10[/size][/font][/color][sup]10[sup]100 - [/sup][/sup][color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Although the Americans spelt it wrong :)[/font][/color]

Edited by bob_pickard

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1352279320' post='1860930']
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]10[/size][/font][/color][sup]10[sup]100 - [/sup][/sup][color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Although the Americans spelt it wrong :)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Beauty!

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1352279320' post='1860930']
[/quote]

The Americans spell it wrong, the Englishman counted it wrong - that's a googolplex ;-)

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]Gugle= 10[/size][/font][/color][sup][sup]100[/sup][/sup]

[quote name='bruno von' timestamp='1352254598' post='1860839']
Would be good to get a few more details of what you require just to be clear about things.

The songs you want to set BPM for: are they just ordinary mp3's from the sdcard?

If all the songs you will be playing remain a constant BMP and you just want to tell the drummer that inital BPM then its quite simple, If you wanted to tap out the entire song, taking into account bpm changes throughout the song, and then reflect these changes back once the drummer sets of a tune (i.e the bpm changes on the screen in realtime) then thats something much more complex.

EDIT: ahh i think I just realized that you are talking about tapping the beat as you jam it live, same applies though, if your songs are kinda like jazz and the BPM is jumping then this will have to be weaved into the app, increases the worklaod significantly
[/quote]

Dunno about what anyone else wants from it, but all I need is something to start the song at the right speed, without a click track. I'm fortunate in that none of the drummers I regularly work with speed up during a song, but ioccasionally a song can start at the wrong tempo (more often too fast than too slow)