Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353547525' post='1876027']

Frickin' heck this is good, Nige! You've packed loads of ideas into it and they fit together very well indeed. Your bass playing on this track is just superb - completely blew me away in places. Sounds great too - nice and loud but with plenty of dynamics.

Truly awesome music guys! The standard is very high this month and no wonder.
[/quote]

Thanks mate! I had a blast doing it. This competition has got me writing and recording again after a long hiatus. I learned a hell of a lot doing this, I REALLY enjoyed it. It's so nice to just be yourself without any commercial concerns.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1353575778' post='1876130']
Being a mono-instrumentalist
[/quote]

You only have to compose the piece :) you could always get a singer, drummer and guitarist involved if you like. Or use midi instruments, or even... looped bass parts? :)

As for no way to record... This just means you need a way to record, cheap interfaces can be found and nothing is more satisfying and potentially horrifying at the same time :lol: (Some of the recordings I've done in the past have frustrated me to the point of practicing :lol:)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353576442' post='1876136']
Thanks mate! I had a blast doing it. This competition has got me writing and recording again after a long hiatus. I learned a hell of a lot doing this, I REALLY enjoyed it. It's so nice to just be yourself without any commercial concerns.
[/quote]

Well I reckon you could make your stuff a commercial concern if you wanted to Nige, sounds very polished to me. For me the freedom in these challenges is being able to do something different to my usual electronic stuff... messing about with real (and toy!) instruments, having a crack at singing, etc. I'd never have done that sort of thing otherwise. You could even call it a "musical journey"! (if you were, like, a tw@t or something).

Can't thank Charic enough for kick-starting all this. Basschat Medal of Honour for that one, I reckon. Can't blame him enough for my new blisters either. Swings and roundabouts.

Uploading mine tonight when I get home. It's nowhere near the skill level of you guys but heh, simple things for simple minds ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353580692' post='1876216']
Well I reckon you could make your stuff a commercial concern if you wanted to Nige, sounds very polished to me. For me the freedom in these challenges is being able to do something different to my usual electronic stuff... messing about with real (and toy!) instruments, having a crack at singing, etc. I'd never have done that sort of thing otherwise. You could even call it a "musical journey"! (if you were, like, a tw@t or something).

Can't thank Charic enough for kick-starting all this. Basschat Medal of Honour for that one, I reckon. Can't blame him enough for my new blisters either. Swings and roundabouts.

Uploading mine tonight when I get home. It's nowhere near the skill level of you guys but heh, simple things for simple minds ;)
[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing it Paul!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353543979' post='1876008']
Ok here's mine. It was FUN!

You Can't Touch Me Now (or .. The Day of The Dead Demon Fiddler)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/silddx/you-cant-touch-me-now-the-day"]http://soundcloud.co...-me-now-the-day[/url]
[/quote] that was awesome!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1353589402' post='1876319']
that was awesome!
[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1353589703' post='1876323']
I think Nige is a potential winner again this month...
[/quote]

Aww guys :blush:

Of course it would be incredible to win a custom bass, but I can happily say that what I've gained from writing and recording this piece is something that is beyond all the winning and losing and competition. I've made some music that I love, it was enormous fun and very challenging, and frustrating at times. I am 100% better as a musician for it.

There is some superb music in this thread that caters to a lot of tastes, someone will win, and they'll fully deserve it :)

Thanks again, you are very kind :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353590304' post='1876335']

Of course it would be incredible to win a custom bass, but I can happily say that what I've gained from writing and recording this piece is something that is beyond all the winning and losing and competition. I've made some music that I love, it was enormous fun and very challenging, and frustrating at times. I am 100% better as a musician for it.

There is some superb music in this thread that caters to a lot of tastes, someone will win, and they'll fully deserve it :)

[/quote] you can give the bass to me if you want then :D it's a good piece. :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353590304' post='1876335']

[/quote]
That's what its about!

Had fun doing this and really enjoyed the banter, great competition, great site and great prize. Would personally give a major organ to win the bass :P but whoever wins will deserve it, the standard has been really good, everyone has been really friendly and there have been some great entries, learned loads as I have never done a song before in its entirety, just done stuff jamming with others, so its been a great but steep learning curve.

Good luck to everyone involved, and I really do mean that! :)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1353592678' post='1876376']
Had fun doing this and really enjoyed the banter, great competition, great site and great prize. Would personally give a major organ to win the bass :P but whoever wins will deserve it, the standard has been really good, everyone has been really friendly and there have been some great entries, learned loads as I have never done a song before in its entirety, just done stuff jamming with others, so its been a great but steep learning curve.

Good luck to everyone involved, and I really do mean that! :)
[/quote]
Very well said mate!

^ Definitely agree with all the sentiments above.

There's not a person among us who wouldn't want to win a custom bass. But hand on heart I can honestly say I don't enter these challenges set on victory - I mean it'd be nice, sure! - but if I started thinking like that I probably wouldn't bother as the skills on display here are [i]way[/i] out of my league. I'm amazed I've had such support during the past few challenges to be honest, which has been a massive boost to my musical confidence (a bigger prize than any).

What I really like is the attitude we're all approaching it with. I've taken part in various remix competitions in the past, and they tend to attract nastiness and big egos. No sign of that here, which is truly is a rare thing on the Interweb! Or maybe a common thing among bass players... :drinks:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353592253' post='1876366']
Yeah but how do you rate my Jimmy Savile impression? :D

Cheers mate :)
[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to listen to any entries since the first couple, but I'm imagining that your JS impression involves sitting the bass on your knee, fiddling with it's bits & then fingering it?

I'm still at work, so can't hear anything (I'll be here til 9:30 :( ).

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1353596111' post='1876410']
Judging by the quality I think the prize this month has inspired people to up there game but I think that we're all learning as a result which is cool.
[/quote]
I think you're right but I reckon it's more about really putting some effort in. I'm sure we all have some very funky ideas, but it's about turning them into audible reality and that can take a lot of work. I can't play keys for instance and had to work hard to get what I wanted onto tape. I have to get a keyboard now :) dave_bass5 lent me his about six months ago and I'd hardly used it. Now I am desperate for one of my own! Thanks Dave!!

So I think the prize may have driven people to put more work in and you're right, it shows. There's some cracking stuff in here! I've not had the chance to hear all of them but I love Lord Sausage's, and for me, Blademan's is a great big smack in the face of personality. I know Blade is a bit down on himself and says he just hacks at it, but he's played to his strengths this month and the results are there, he should be very pleased with himself. I'm going to have a listen to all the tracks tomorrow night.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1353610596' post='1876624']
I haven't had a chance to listen to any entries since the first couple, but I'm imagining that your JS impression involves sitting the bass on your knee, fiddling with it's bits & then fingering it?

I'm still at work, so can't hear anything (I'll be here til 9:30 :( ).
[/quote]

Dirty bastard.

:D

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1353543381' post='1876001']
Very nice mix and I am guessing you have deffo done this before, put together very professionally, this sounds like its been produced by a pro!

Nice one, impressed and bowing down to the skill and knowledge involved, well beyond anything i could produce technical wise :thank_you: .
[/quote]
[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1353543529' post='1876003']
Freakin' sweet Lord Sausage! has a totally awesome 70s cop show thing going on too :-D
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353547525' post='1876027']
Wow, very clean production on this! Sounds awesome. Really like this ska intro… and the second half just plain rocks! Great guitar chops and some cool FX going on. It definitely has a showtime/soundtrack feel to it that captures the Scooby pic especially well. Good work, M'Lud!
[/quote]
thanks a lot for your kind words but tho i have a bit of experience i'm no pro. Like some of the others said it ain't about the competition and it has been rewarding doing it. Really enjoyed it, especially as its been a slog. Now to listen to everyone elses. Listened to silddx, walman and blademan all very good!

Edited by Lord Sausage

Ok I'm done. Found it tricky deciding how to approach this month's challenge, but settled on a dreary little number about how people can be deceptive, and how when relationships turn to ruin it spoils the memories associated with them - just like it has done with Savile, a once national hero but now a figure of hate (I used to love Jim'll Fix It as a kid…).

It's very much based on a past relationship of my own, in which I had a chunk of years ruined by the discovery that my then betrothed was in fact a cheating swine. I found the only way of moving on was to let those memories fade and die and be happy about doing so (a nod to the Mexican day of the dead festival, where the second photo comes from). 'Twas a long time ago and I've since happily got hitched to Mrs Skol. But I still found it very cathartic to write about.

Anyway, enough of that old bollocks… ;) have a listen:

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bad-riddance

PS: it's mixed solely on headphones, so I'm keen to know how it sounds on your own systems. Most likely either either a tinny wreck or a muddy soup, but hopefully somewhere between the two.

Edited by Skol303