Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353636004' post='1876922']
Ok I'm done. Found it tricky deciding how to approach this month's challenge, but settled on a dreary little number about how people can be deceptive, and how when relationships turn to ruin it spoils the memories associated with them - just like it has done with Savile, a once national hero but now a figure of hate (I used to love Jim'll Fix It as a kid…).
Anyway, enough of that old bollocks… ;) have a listen:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bad-riddance"]http://soundcloud.co...ob/bad-riddance[/url]
[/quote]
Love the sound, well worth waiting for!

Ok I'm done. Found it tricky deciding how to approach this month's challenge, but settled on a dreary little number about how people can be deceptive, and how when relationships turn to ruin it spoils the memories associated with them - just like it has done with Savile, a once national hero but now a figure of hate (I used to love Jim'll Fix It as a kid…).

It's very much based on a past relationship of my own, in which I had a chunk of years ruined by the discovery that my then betrothed was in fact a cheating swine. I found the only way of moving on was to let those memories fade and die and be happy about doing so (a nod to the Mexican day of the dead festival, where the second photo comes from). 'Twas a long time ago and I've since happily got hitched to Mrs Skol. But I still found it very cathartic to write about.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bad-riddance"]http://soundcloud.co...ob/bad-riddance[/url]

PS: it's mixed solely on headphones, so I'm keen to know how it sounds on your own systems. Most likely either either a tinny wreck or a muddy soup, but hopefully somewhere between the two.
[/quote]

That's great mate! Great tune and I like the vocals, especially the harmonies. There's some nice melody and harmony going on in the music. Really like it Paul! Full of personality too, I totally get that it's very personal.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353636004' post='1876922'] Ok I'm done. Found it tricky deciding how to approach this month's challenge, but settled on a dreary little number about how people can be deceptive, and how when relationships turn to ruin it spoils the memories associated with them - just like it has done with Savile, a once national hero but now a figure of hate (I used to love Jim'll Fix It as a kid…). It's very much based on a past relationship of my own, in which I had a chunk of years ruined by the discovery that my then betrothed was in fact a cheating swine. I found the only way of moving on was to let those memories fade and die and be happy about doing so (a nod to the Mexican day of the dead festival, where the second photo comes from). 'Twas a long time ago and I've since happily got hitched to Mrs Skol. But I still found it very cathartic to write about. Anyway, enough of that old bollocks… ;) have a listen: http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bad-riddance PS: it's mixed solely on headphones, so I'm keen to know how it sounds on your own systems. Most likely either either a tinny wreck or a muddy soup, but hopefully somewhere between the two. [/quote]

I really did have no hope :D

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1353655072' post='1876963']Love the sound, well worth waiting for![/quote]

Cheers Ed. Good to know it sounds ok. It's never ideal mixing on just headphones, but it's what I'm stuck with. A bit like painting in the dark, or something! Paul

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353663978' post='1877048']That's great mate! Great tune and I like the vocals, especially the harmonies. There's some nice melody and harmony going on in the music. Really like it Paul! Full of personality too, I totally get that it's very personal.[/quote]

Thanks Nige! I sound like a Bee Gees tribute act when the backing vocals are solo'd :blink: but they seem to sound ok when dumped in with the rest of the mix. Must say I didn't plan the harmonies at all - a happy accident there. Definitely a personal song, but had fun trying to work in Savile, Scooby and Mexican festivities. We didn't make it easy for yourselves, did we mate?? :D

PS: it's mixed solely on headphones, so I'm keen to know how it sounds on your own systems. Most likely either either a tinny wreck or a muddy soup, but hopefully somewhere between the two.
[/quote]

Mine is mixed solely on headphones too. Not even proper ones, just my Sennheiser i300 ear buds. I have some expensive KRK studio monitoring headphones which I use for tracking. When I mix, I get the basic level balance, effects, eq, etc on the KRKs, then I do the mix with the ear buds into the MacBook while sitting on the sofa with a glass of wine and a cigarette :) The only time I used my monitor speakers was when I tracked the guitar solo and that was only so I could get some volume feeding back into the pickups for a more live sound.

Yours sounded fine on my ear buds mate.

It's very much based on a past relationship of my own, in which I had a chunk of years ruined by the discovery that my then betrothed was in fact a cheating swine. I found the only way of moving on was to let those memories fade and die and be happy about doing so (a nod to the Mexican day of the dead festival, where the second photo comes from). 'Twas a long time ago and I've since happily got hitched to Mrs Skol. But I still found it very cathartic to write about.

[/quote]

'I didnt have a Scooby how she did it', great line! Like it and like the backing vocal additions, love the manc ring to it.

Well put together, nice one! :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353669009' post='1877127']I really did have no hope :D[/quote]

That's what I've thought to myself each month! There's some mind-boggingly good talent on display in these challenges that I'll never be able to match. No reason not to get stuck in though, eh?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353669790' post='1877141']Mine is mixed solely on headphones too.[/quote]

Good to know I ain't the only one! Yours sounds great, Nige. A really clean mix with a solid low end and not too thin on top. Monitors are for wimps ;)

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1353670023' post='1877145']'I didnt have a Scooby how she did it', great line! Like it and like the backing vocal additions, love the manc ring to it. Well put together, nice one! :)[/quote]

Cheers Steve! Glad you dig it mate.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353669132' post='1877131']
Cheers Ed. Good to know it sounds ok. It's never ideal mixing on just headphones, but it's what I'm stuck with. A bit like painting in the dark, or something! Paul

Thanks Nige! I sound like a Bee Gees tribute act when the backing vocals are solo'd :blink: but they seem to sound ok when dumped in with the rest of the mix. Must say I didn't plan the harmonies at all - a happy accident there. Definitely a personal song, but had fun trying to work in Savile, Scooby and Mexican festivities. We didn't make it easy for yourselves, did we mate?? :D
[/quote]

I'll admit, I chose my picture because it made me laugh, I liked yours because it was a great excuse to get some Mexican Mariachi feel going on in the first section, but yeah, not the easiest of images to combine into a piece initially. BUT, I think the music on here shows that people got some great concepts from them. I did some research into the Day of the Dead festival and got some ideas, but it took a week to get my ideas together and decide how to approach the music. It sort of developed organically after that.

I love happy accidents! So inspiring when thye happen isn't it, opens up a new musical palette.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353670502' post='1877157']

Oh Rob :( No entry this month mate?
[/quote]

Mine was way back on page six of this thread, mate. It's just that it sounds a bit sad to me now :)

Serioulsy, I am a bit annoyed that two of the (many) VSTs I used don't seem to want to transfer from midi to audio. I play it back in Cubase and it is there but when I create an audio file, it is not (there is a drone under the opening speech that carries on through the whole first section and a bass part that comes in under the vibes sound in the middle - their absence is not a death blow but it does impede the forward momentum of the piece). Too late now.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353675877' post='1877259']
Mine was way back on page six of this thread, mate. It's just that it sounds a bit sad to me now :)

Serioulsy, I am a bit annoyed that two of the (many) VSTs I used don't seem to want to transfer from midi to audio. I play it back in Cubase and it is there but when I create an audio file, it is not (there is a drone under the opening speech that carries on through the whole first section and a bass part that comes in under the vibes sound in the middle - their absence is not a death blow but it does impede the forward momentum of the piece). Too late now.
[/quote]

Oh of course it is, sorry, I've not had much time to look at the thread until now, or listen to much of the music. I'll have a listen tonight.

It's a real pisser when things like that happen, I feel for you mate. It's not too late though!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353678051' post='1877302']
Am off to do a gig right after work and won't be home until after midnight so it literally is too late :lol: (I don't think it's going to make enough difference to warrant the effort anyway, Nigel ;))
[/quote]

Oh well, have a great gig to compensate mate :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1353681515' post='1877367']
I'll try and get the entries up tomorrow, I'm heading up Norwich way so it wont be first thing in the morning :)
[/quote]

Ahh good. I'll try & get mine finished in the morning if I can. I'm working til 10pm tonight. :(

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1353681515' post='1877367']
The offer stands though :)

I'll try and get the entries up tomorrow, I'm heading up Norwich way so it wont be first thing in the morning :)
[/quote]

Can't wait to get a listen to them all, and i can do that now that i'm free all day on saturdays these days :D

Enjoy the weekend lads! pint anyone?