Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1353329492' post='1873636']
...the balance between vocals don't stand out as well as they do in the masters. Any advice on that?[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353330538' post='1873655']
...if you upload an mp3 to SoundCloud it will get compressed again... ...which reduces the sound quality.[/quote]

Your audio may also suffer from compression artefacts which will not only reduce sound quality but can cause other problems, such as a perceived difference in mix levels compared to your original master:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact"]http://en.wikipedia....ession_artifact[/url]

I exported my master as 128Kb .mp3 file and listened to it [i]before [/i]uploading it as an uncompressed .wav to Soundcloud. :)

Edited by discreet

Not had a hope in hell of doing something this month - the pictures kind of put me off a bit this month - I had two conflicting thoughts and I wasn't sure how the f*ck I was going to create a bit of music incorporating the two...! I'll definitely check out the results though and vote - hopefully I'll be able to do something in Dec

cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1353333948' post='1873713']Not had a hope in hell of doing something this month - the pictures kind of put me off a bit this month...[/quote]

That's a shame Mike but I know you've had a busy few weeks with the London Jazz Fest being on (wish I could have made it down this year).

You can - ahem - [i]'thank'[/i] Nigel and I for the inspiration this month. Must admit I've really struggled with it myself. Ended up penning a song about a former failed relationship, dealing with deceit and the death of happy memories... so y'know, a chirpy and lighthearted singalong number on its way from me! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1353331597' post='1873679']
Your audio may also suffer from compression artefacts which will not only reduce sound quality but can cause other problems, such as a perceived difference in mix levels compared to your original master:
[/quote]
OK I'll check that out. I spent a lot of time EQ'ing this time and didn't really notice benefits. Is thee are argument for keeping it simple to keep the file sizes down?

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1353336155' post='1873750']
OK I'll check that out. I spent a lot of time EQ'ing this time and didn't really notice benefits. Is thee are argument for keeping it simple to keep the file sizes down?
[/quote]

The effects you apply to your mix have no impact on the size/Mb of the file you choose to finally output. It could be a 5 minute recording of radio static, or a 5 minute recording of the Halle Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road... if you output the final mix using the same bitrate and sample size, then the file size will be exactly the same.

The compression artefacts that Discreet is talking about are caused when your file is 'compressed' down to mp3 format - e.g. by the SoundCloud player (confusingly this 'squashing' of the file by the SoundCloud player is called compression, like the dynamic effect of the same name). This is why he recommends exporting your mix as an mp3 - and checking it for 'artefacts', such as odd noises and volume changes - and then once you're happy with it, producing a final version in .wav format for uploading to SoundCloud.

Hope that helps. It made my head hurt the first time I tried to understand this stuff!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353337126' post='1873762']
...recommend exporting your mix as an mp3 - and checking it for 'artefacts', such as odd noises and volume changes - and then once you're happy with it, producing a final version in .wav format for uploading to SoundCloud.[/quote]

Exactly. You explained it much better than I did. :)

I've been uploading 320kb/s MP3s to Soundcloud. I'll give the uncompressed WAV file format a go I think. It'll be interesting to hear the quality difference.

Skol, I'd definitely favour keeping the dynamics over compressing for loudness. I think I'm starting to fall more towards the latter unfortunately so need to watch the presets I'm using and use my ears more. There's a lot going on with the compressors in my recent tracks that I don't like. It's a tricky thing to become anywhere near competent at I have to say.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353334874' post='1873730']
That's a shame Mike but I know you've had a busy few weeks with the London Jazz Fest being on (wish I could have made it down this year).

You can - ahem - [i]'thank'[/i] Nigel and I for the inspiration this month. Must admit I've really struggled with it myself. Ended up penning a song about a former failed relationship, dealing with deceit and the death of happy memories... so y'know, a chirpy and lighthearted singalong number on its way from me! :D
[/quote]

singer- "24 years, just waiting for a chance, to tell her how i feel and maybe get a second glance, now i got to get used to not living next door to alice"

crowd- "ALICE! who the f*** is alice!?"

hope your song is that cheery and singalongy that everybody happens to know the right words to fit into the course.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1353076221' post='1871344']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]My entry:[/color][/font]
[b][url="http://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/d-a-de-los-muertos"]Dia De Los Muertos[/url][/b]
[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#000000][/color][/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]I hope you enjoy it.[/color][/font]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Wicked!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1353339151' post='1873809']Skol, I'd definitely favour keeping the dynamics over compressing for loudness.[/quote]

Yeah I agree. It's a tricky balance as you say, but I think I've [i]nearly[/i] got there... just a few more tweaks and then I'll abandon it and upload! ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353339731' post='1873828']
singer- "24 years, just waiting for a chance, to tell her how i feel and maybe get a second glance, now i got to get used to not living next door to alice"
crowd- "ALICE! who the f*** is alice!?"
hope your song is that cheery and singalongy that everybody happens to know the right words to fit into the course.
[/quote]

Goddammit, how did you know those were my lyrics?? :P

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353349808' post='1874100']
Yeah I agree. It's a tricky balance as you say, but I think I've [i]nearly[/i] got there... just a few more tweaks and then I'll abandon it and upload! ;)

Goddammit, how did you know those were my lyrics?? :P
[/quote]

because it's that singalongable that people will play it in pubs all the time and the drunks will stand up during the course and yell profanities and question the main protagonist's of the song social connections.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1353333948' post='1873713']
Not had a hope in hell of doing something this month - the pictures kind of put me off a bit this month - I had two conflicting thoughts and I wasn't sure how the f*ck I was going to create a bit of music incorporating the two...! I'll definitely check out the results though and vote - hopefully I'll be able to do something in Dec

cheers

Mike
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353334874' post='1873730']

[/quote]
i struggled a bit at first. In the end i decided just to have to different parts a la Layla, The Chain etc, tho its nowt like them. Hopefully i will have it finished by wednesday night.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1353357046' post='1874230']
made a couple of changes to mine [url="http://soundcloud.com/rockfordstone/waiting-for-a-hero-2nd-mix"]http://soundcloud.co...-a-hero-2nd-mix[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah like this one better than the first mix, first one was was good, but this one is better. Very nice vocals impressed.

Its a gentle version to my bull in a china shop approach to the subject :)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1353359912' post='1874277']
Yeah like this one better than the first mix, first one was was good, but this one is better. Very nice vocals impressed.

Its a gentle version to my bull in a china shop approach to the subject :)
[/quote]

cheers man, ive shortened the intro and tried to cut a bit of mud out of the guitar line, seems to have made it a touch brighter :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1353357046' post='1874230']
made a couple of changes to mine [url="http://soundcloud.com/rockfordstone/waiting-for-a-hero-2nd-mix"]http://soundcloud.co...-a-hero-2nd-mix[/url]
[/quote]

Nice one. Just did a quick comparison with the original and it is a tad brighter as you mention. The start of the track has me perplexed - in a good way! - as I'm a fan of found sounds and field recordings... so what is that at the start?? Sounds like a tape deck being set up.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1353361539' post='1874306']
Nice one. Just did a quick comparison with the original and it is a tad brighter as you mention. The start of the track has me perplexed - in a good way! - as I'm a fan of found sounds and field recordings... so what is that at the start?? Sounds like a tape deck being set up.
[/quote]

it is exactly that dude, tape deck being set up then play being pressed before the tune starts. i thought it was quirky

Cheers for the uploading advice. I normally just export as mp3 & upload to soundcloud.

I've abandoned what I was trying to do & gonna start afresh. It was going to incorporate both pics, but some things just aren't working. :(
I can't sing a jot, so expect an instrumental again.

Hi, reloaded my entry. Please ensure you link to the right one as I'm off-line for several days from Friday. You can compare the two versions on my account but its the one with "bc" at the end that I want to enter. The reverb, vocal and echoes are better.

Competition entry is here: http://soundcloud.com/mole-music-1/love-rat-bc

Thanks for the advice.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1353482693' post='1875001']I've abandoned what I was trying to do & gonna start afresh. It was going to incorporate both pics, but some things just aren't working. :(I can't sing a jot, so expect an instrumental again.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a tough one this month for sure. I wouldn't worry about the lack of vocals too much. It certainly hasn't influenced my previous votes in these challenges, but I guess everyone has their own way of making that decision. Most of the music I listen to at home is instrumental electronica, although I'm [i]trying[/i] to sing myself on the tracks I'm submitting for these challanges - only because I have an old condenser mic that's gathering dust (a Behringer C-1) and I'm keen to use it for something! :)

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1353489794' post='1875053']
Hi, reloaded my entry. Please ensure you link to the right one as I'm off-line for several days from Friday. You can compare the two versions on my account but its the one with "bc" at the end that I want to enter. The reverb, vocal and echoes are better.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. Should have mine uploaded tonight or tomorrow... just need a spare minute to render the final mix.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1353401658' post='1874538']it is exactly that dude, tape deck being set up then play being pressed before the tune starts. i thought it was quirky[/quote]

Ha ha, nice one! I like it - very inventive. Definitely caught my attention when I first heard the track.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1353482693' post='1875001']
Cheers for the uploading advice. I normally just export as mp3 & upload to soundcloud.

I've abandoned what I was trying to do & gonna start afresh. It was going to incorporate both pics, but some things just aren't working. :(
I can't sing a jot, so expect an instrumental again.
[/quote]

It has been tough. But there are some natural links between the two pictures, just! I had to do a fair bit of thinking before I started mine, and I've ended up with a story, it's like a tiny instrumental opera :lol: Nearly finished though! I also tried putting singing on mine, but I deleted it all, I can sing quite well but my voice sounds like a 12 year old girl's ffs :unsure: Appropriate to the subject matter, but horrible to hear :lol:

The entries have been great so far. And I find it fascinating how people interpret the same thing so differently.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353505477' post='1875314']
It has been tough. But there are some natural links between the two pictures, just! I had to do a fair bit of thinking before I started mine, and I've ended up with a story, it's like a tiny instrumental opera :lol: Nearly finished though! I also tried putting singing on mine, but I deleted it all, I can sing quite well but my voice sounds like a 12 year old girl's ffs :unsure: Appropriate to the subject matter, but horrible to hear :lol:

The entries have been great so far. And I find it fascinating how people interpret the same thing so differently.
[/quote]

Voice wise I have the same problem thats why I talk rather than sing on my track, I sound like some choir boy waiting for his b...ls to drop when I am trying to rock, which sounds really naff!

Hence the vocal style :D