Why become a member? ×

Speakon V Jack

leroydiamond

Recently acquired a markbass f500 amp that offers 2 Speakon outputs. I use the amp with 2 bass cabs. Is there an advantage to running 2 speakon cables from the amp to each individual cab?. At the moment i use 1 speakon cable to one cab and line in the second cab with a jack to jack speaker lead.

The main advantage is that if, when using two leads from the amp, if one stops working mid-gig, you still have one speaker going. Whereas with daisy-chaining, if the speakon amp to cab lead stops, your rig is silent.

Edited by Lozz196

I would change everything to Speakon if it was me. Far more robust connections, and almost impossible to touch or short out the connections accidentally (and speaker voltages can be enough to make you jump a bit).

Jacks originated (AFIK) as telecoms connectors and were never rally designed for speaker type currents. Speakons are.
You can get speakons which also take a jack connector if you want to keep your options open.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1351593424' post='1852929']
Recently acquired a markbass f500 amp that offers 2 Speakon outputs. I use the amp with 2 bass cabs. Is there an advantage to running 2 speakon cables from the amp to each individual cab?. At the moment i use 1 speakon cable to one cab and line in the second cab with a jack to jack speaker lead.
[/quote]
Yes, best to connect each cab to a separate speakon output on the head, that way each lead only has to carry the current to its respective speaker. If you daisy chain, the lead from the head to the first cab is carrying double the current.

You can either daisy chain or use both speaker outputs from your amp.

In the real world of semi pro bass playing there really isn't any difference.

The only recommendation I would make is to get 2 sets the best cables you can afford (I use OBBM cables) and wind them with care.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1351643144' post='1853797']
I would change everything to Speakon if it was me. Far more robust connections, and almost impossible to touch or short out the connections accidentally (and speaker voltages can be enough to make you jump a bit).
[/quote]

I used to agree with this until someone pointed out that if a drunken punter caught your lead and yanked it - might be better to have the plug just pull out of the socket (jack) that throw your stack across the room with a locked connector (Speakon).

This happened to me once, so it definitely gave me food for thought....

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1351683343' post='1854065']
I used to agree with this until someone pointed out that if a drunken punter caught your lead and yanked it - might be better to have the plug just pull out of the socket (jack) that throw your stack across the room with a locked connector (Speakon).

[/quote]

what was someone doing behind your stack?

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1351706987' post='1854462']
It was the keyboard player trying to find mains for his little world.....

He'd had a few sherbets methinks.....
[/quote]

That was a close one - I still think a 1/4" instrument jack is less than Ideal in pretty much every situation (aside from the event you describe and a few others).
I guess the solution is to keep all cables under control (tape, etc.) and let the sober guy wire the sound up!
Does anyone run a speaker cable far from their head? I've seen it done but not often. If I were running a speaker cable from a rack or pedal board etc, I'd feel better if the cable was snug and ran where it can't be tripped over - and hopefully not crushed!

And as flyfisher said, confusing an instrument cable with a speaker cable is asking for trouble.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1351643144' post='1853797']

Jacks originated (AFIK) as telecoms connectors and were never rally designed for speaker type currents. Speakons are.
You can get speakons which also take a jack connector if you want to keep your options open.
[/quote] There is also the issue that Speakons use solderless connections, unlike jacks, so they can be fitted and removed (and possibly repaired) on site with simple tools or a Leatherman.

[quote name='Wiggybass' timestamp='1351789932' post='1855475']
There is also the issue that Speakons use solderless connections, unlike jacks, so they can be fitted and removed (and possibly repaired) on site with simple tools or a Leatherman.
[/quote]

Agree - I prefer speakons but it's worth periodically opening them and checking that the screws remain tight - I've had some of mine loosen up as the conductors relax away from the screw with time and vibration.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1351709851' post='1854510']
Does anyone run a speaker cable far from their head? I've seen it done but not often.
[/quote]
In one venue the drums used to go on the opposite side of the stage to me, with the guitarist in the middle. I ran a long speaker lead to an extension cab behind the drummer so that he could hear me better.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1351683343' post='1854065']

[/quote]

I have a special "look" I save for people coming too close to my gear. It seems to deter them. :lol:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1351938260' post='1857033']
In one venue the drums used to go on the opposite side of the stage to me, with the guitarist in the middle. I ran a long speaker lead to an extension cab behind the drummer so that he could hear me better.
[/quote] We play a regular gig where space is so limited that I put a single 12" box either side of the kit and it's lovely. Not stereo of course but def gives a big spread of low frequency loveliness.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thinman' timestamp='1351938095' post='1857031']
Agree - I prefer speakons but it's worth periodically opening them and checking that the screws remain tight - I've had some of mine loosen up as the conductors relax away from the screw with time and vibration.
[/quote]

And if fitting them yourself make sure that you use the copper ferrule that is supplied with the plug.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1351938260' post='1857033']
[/quote]

It's a nice Idea. I could see it being a problem with high volumes or rooms with acoustic problems.
You'd get pretty unpredictable issues in some spaces as you'd have a few sources of bass frequencies - esp. if you have the low freq. drum(s) sent through PA sub(s) and the bass is used to carry the house!

In an appropriate setting it does sound promising, and might allow the rhythm section to monitor each other much more effectively!