Why become a member? ×

Covers and attention to detail

HMX

I'm a sucker for attention to detail when it comes to covering a song and I like to stick closely to the original basslines.

Anyone else similar - or more improvisational?

And - on a related note - are there any small bass nuances in songs that you have to pick up on and include? I'm not in a covers band but like to play along at home. Example, 0:49 of Rope by Foo Fighters. That bass slide and octave pick gets me every time. So good!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpqZT_56Ns[/media]

Playing along to the record at home and playing in a band doing covers are two entirely different things.

As soon as you're in the band situation everything becomes much more fluid. Playing the bassline exactly as recorded may well no longer work depending on how the instrumentation of you band differs from what is on the recording and how closely your band mates stick to the recorded versions of their parts.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1351454421' post='1851416']
Playing along to the record at home and playing in a band doing covers are two entirely different things.

As soon as you're in the band situation everything becomes much more fluid. Playing the bassline exactly as recorded may well no longer work depending on how the instrumentation of you band differs from what is on the recording and how closely your band mates stick to the recorded versions of their parts.
[/quote]
Good points! I'm in a band but we never perform covers.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1351454421' post='1851416']
Playing the bassline exactly as recorded may well no longer work depending on how the instrumentation of your band differs from what is on the recording and [b]how closely your band mates stick to the recorded versions of their parts[/b].[/quote]

+1. In my experience most 'musicians' can't even be bothered to [i]listen [/i]to the originals properly, let alone play their parts correctly. The attitude seems to be, 'meh - that's close enough'. Which is very frustrating if (like myself) you are a bit anal about getting things right.

Edited by discreet

Just about the only time I don`t play a cover exactly is if I can`t work it out by the recording, as it`s not prominent enough, and if I subsequently can`t find any tab accurate enough. At that point I`ll make something up that`s near enough. The only exception is Basket Case by Green Day - I`ve never sat down and got the runs/fills nailed - I just do my own thing. Can`t work out why my attitude is different with that one song - it`s not even that I don`t like it, I do, a lot.

I'm a close enough guy. I figure the recording is the way that one guy played it that one time on that day. Bass lines evolve and change over time, sometimes they have to be changed, compromised or elaborated on live. This is the same for the original player, as well as the person doing the covering.
I always try to listen to a few live versions in addition to the studio version. Also I'm arrogant enough to figure I'm a decent player, why not 'Gaf it up' a bit ;)

I wonder how many of these threads there are now?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1351460578' post='1851502']
+1. In my experience most 'musicians' can't even be bothered to [i]listen [/i]to the originals properly, let alone play their parts correctly. The attitude seems to be, 'meh - that's close enough'. Which is very frustrating if (like myself) you are a bit anal about getting things right.
[/quote]

I figure that's what tribute bands are for. Unless you're in a tribute band (i.e. people come to see you because they can't see the original band), what's the point of replicating a record note for note? After all, it's rare that big name bands play their songs live exactly like they do on the record. I remember Dave Gilmour saying that you can easily tell if he's not enjoying a gig because he plays his solos just like on the record. Hell,i I've got a live version of Sunshine of Your Love where Jack Bruce varies the bassline during the chorus of what must be one of the most famous bass riff songs.

Whatever I play, I always play the bassline properly. However, it's my own interpretation of the original. I strive to keep the signature bits in, but they go off from there. Once I've created my own bassline, I try to play it properly.

My band has developed its own versions of Genie in a Bottle and Toxic. Everyone recognises them when we play them, but we're a rock band and they're far from being close to the way Britney or Christine's band did them.

I was once listening to a band playing Paranoid and noticed the bassist stuck to root notes throughout, not playing a single one of the runs. I asked a few of the people I was with what they thought of the song and they all thought the band played it well. Most people mix what they're hearing with the version that's being replayed on their own heads, I think.

When I had an originals band a cover would be our take on the song. The only thing that would stay original would be the lyrics & the basic chord structure or riff. Everything else changes.
When I played in cover bands I tried to play as close to the original as needed (you go see a band live & their songs will be played slightly different).

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1351498725' post='1851694']
I was once listening to a band playing Paranoid and noticed the bassist stuck to root notes throughout, not playing a single one of the runs. I asked a few of the people I was with what they thought of the song and they all thought the band played it well. Most people mix what they're hearing with the version that's being replayed on their own heads, I think.
[/quote]

IMHO most people don't care as long as long as it's done well, and 'done well' does not necessarily mean being true to the original. They are generally there to have a good time, which is generally more to do with the band creating atmosphere and enjoying themselves. And let's face it, except in specific places, what average (non bass playing) punter pays anything more than cursory attention to the bass line?

Hi
I tend to play my own style on most covers, leaving the bits in that matter, like the solo in 'Alright Now'! To me it's all about how we feel the song. I'm actually better known for my bass improvisation now and people come to see the band partly for that. We've even added a bass solo to 'Badge' which goes down well! :mellow: If I were doing a tribute I'd play it as near as possible to the original, allowing for the dynamics of the band. Playing original songs allows freedom to express yourself.
If I'm asked to play something in a certain way I will but for me it's about putting my own stamp on a song. Most covers have set bits you have to play anyway so you do need to get those right.

One of the worst covers I heard was this guy in a 60s covers band playing root notes to 'My Generation'! I just wanted to grab it and show him how. :shok: :lol:

Ellie :rolleyes:

I used to be a bit anal about getting the lines as close to the originals as I could. Having seen plenty of bands get away with a far less disciplined approach through the years I'm more flexible these days. Also if it's a short notice depping job there often simply isn't enough time to learn every line of what is required in absolute detail. Root noting Paranoid or My Generation isn't really acceptible though!

Edited by KevB

Not really. If you want to get it absolutely right you'd also buy the same bass, use the same strings and put it through the same amp into the same speakers as on the original record (which may have been recorded using a different set up to what they used live - or even recorded by a session player).

And ask everyone else in the band to do the same. So long as you have a singer who can sing exactly like the original, then you'll get close.

But, you'd only be doing it for yourself. Most of the audience won't be paying that much attention.

I have a simple approach to this. If the bandleader wants me to play a song once, he either supplies the dots or he gets a 'near as damn it/flying by the seat of my pants/never heard the original anyway' approximation. I play in one covers band and have held the gig for about 3 years. We play a range of covers from 60s to now and I have never heard the originals of most of the tunes and those I have heard I heard years ago once or twice and have certainly never worked on them. We have never had anyone come up to any of us and say 'that bass part was wrong' but this is probably because they are SO wrong that it is obvious we are not trying to play them right :lol:

When I do shows, every note is written down and the product is 100% accurate. To expect people to learn every nuance of a cover when they are working in several bands/situations in between gigs is pretty naive.

Every time this subject appears, the thread goes round in circles. If you don't want to learn the original bass line - fine. If you do - fine. I'm off to learn a new number. The chances are I won't be using the same bass or the same strings used on the recording, and it's unlikely that I had the same thing the bass player had for breakfast before the session, but I [i]will [/i]be learning the original line - as far as is possible. Because I enjoy the challenge. :P Peace out!

I remember seeing a covers band many years ago doing Whisky In a Jar - the way Thin Lizzy did it. Except without the lead-line, as the guitarist wasn`t very good.

I think it`s ok to change things about a bit, but to not play the main part of a song, well that`s going too far. All that sticks in the mind of the audience is that you were too cr*p to play it properly - job not done.

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1351511038' post='1851866']
"own stamp" or "my version" often means "I cant be arsed" to learn it properly
Just a thought
(dons tin hat)
W
[/quote]

To which I will add - if you're going to recreate the original in all respects than you might as well put the CD on.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1351513395' post='1851927']
I remember seeing a covers band many years ago doing Whisky In a Jar - the way Thin Lizzy did it. Except without the lead-line, as the guitarist wasn`t very good.

I think it`s ok to change things about a bit, but to not play the main part of a song, well that`s going too far. All that sticks in the mind of the audience is that you were too cr*p to play it properly - job not done.
[/quote]

There's an amiable old fella that comes along to a jam session I frequent and this is often one of the songs he does. He just strums the chords and sings it and whoever is covering for him on bass usually puts that lead guitar riff in for him :D

It honestly doesn't matter to anyone but the individual musicians involved. This was completely brought home to me at a recent gig that I played with my covers band. It was a party for one of the guitarists and the drummer who were both celebrating their 60th birthdays and as well as the present line-up of the band playing they had guest spots from musicians who'd previously played in the band. The bass-playing predecessor took the stage for a handful of songs which gave me an opportunity to view the band from the audience. This is a musician with far more technical ability than I'll ever have and who makes everything he plays seem totally effortless and his basslines all sounded great, but the actual notes that he played had little in common with what was on the recorded versions of the songs...

And you know what? It didn't matter - the songs still sounded great and I bet I was the only person in the room who noticed that he was playing something different to what was done on the record.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1351511974' post='1851886']
I have a simple approach to this. If the bandleader wants me to play a song once, he either supplies the dots or he gets a 'near as damn it/flying by the seat of my pants/never heard the original anyway' approximation. I play in one covers band and have held the gig for about 3 years. We play a range of covers from 60s to now and I have never heard the originals of most of the tunes and those I have heard I heard years ago once or twice and have certainly never worked on them. We have never had anyone come up to any of us and say 'that bass part was wrong' but this is probably because they are SO wrong that it is obvious we are not trying to play them right :lol:

When I do shows, every note is written down and the product is 100% accurate. To expect people to learn every nuance of a cover when they are working in several bands/situations in between gigs is pretty naive.
[/quote]

so you're in the "cant be arsed to learn it" camp then.