Why become a member? ×

The basses you love to hate thread.

StephenFerguson

It may come as no surprise that I may have a slight amount of disdain for Rickenbacker, unweildy, uncomfortable and with ZERO versitility. The sound is however, unique. Rickenbackers piss me off so much due to the attitude of the company that makes them. There are worse basses out there that do not justify their price or reputation so here goes.

Stienberger: Sounds like a synth(ish) and makes you look like a twat.
Modulus, any modulus! have you played them? Awful.
Gibson Thunderbird, even the better ones with zero neck dive sound like slurry, Tokais copies sound better!

So yeah, attack! defend! or mediate :)

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1350838140' post='1844067']

Stienberger: Sounds like a synth(ish) and makes you look like a twat.

So yeah, attack! defend! or mediate :)
[/quote]
I really wanted to like Steinberger but when I played a real one it was not a nice experience. It would have been even more painful to pay the asking price! :o

Fender. Pay over the odds for the vintage stuff which was pennies at the time, pay over the odds for the new stuff which costs Fender pennies to make, their designs are predictable (bordering on a bass cliche!) and the good stuff (Japanese) is difficult to get because they're rarely exported.

But I bloody love playing them and love the sound/aesthetics.

Damn you Fender!

I don't like Ricks either. But hey - some folk have hands and ears that Ricks fit perfectly.

My recommendation would be to spend your energy on something a bit more positive. Tell us about what you DO like. BCers just love to find a new player, piece of music or piece of equipment that we've never considered before.

CB

Warwicks! Had at least 6 or 7 and all sound the same (the one that didn´t - Stramer Stage 1- sounded like c&%$)

Can´t understand what the fuss is about. They really look lovely, but those necks (specially after 00) all fell like a baseball bat! You need to get lucky to get one that´s been shaped properly.

Gibson thunderbird - had one, but besides the neck dive, just couldn´t play that darn thing (maybe I need to improve my chops lolol)

And Musicmans - I know I have two - and the one I have from 88 has the greatest neck ever - but they never sound balanced!! The E string is fatter and the G string has no meat at all!! Fender gt that right the first time! (but weirdly I play with the MM every weekend... go figure)

This love/hate relationship with MM started with a 96MM 20th anniversary I bought new at Bass Center - beautiful bass, but very lame sounding.

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1350838140' post='1844067']
... Rickenbacker ... ZERO versitility ...
[/quote]
Not true, Rickenbackers are versatile and can make a variety of sounds like any other bass with two pickups, with different varieties of strings and styles of playing - check out McCartney and Squire, totally different sounds.

Having said that, I've never really liked the way they look but it wouldn't stop me playing one.

I do enjoy a good moan.

The Danelectro Longhorn is an abomination.

Gibson SG's machine heads make it look jug eared and unbalanced.

I hate to be sweepingly general, but most basses with anything over 6 strings, look ungainly.

Most BC Rich and Dean Metalman's.

Moan groan, etc.

I just like simple, subtle, good design.

Edited by jaydentaku

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1350856799' post='1844446']
I do enjoy a good moan.

The Danelectro Longhorn is an abomination.

Gibson SG's machine heads make it look jug eared and unbalanced.

I hate to be sweepingly general, but most basses with anything over 6 strings, look ungainly.

Most BC Rich and Dean Metalman's.

Moan groan, etc.

I just like simple, subtle, good design.

[/quote]

BTW which BC Rich gets the thumbs up? To me, though I´ve never played one, I would go for the Mocking Bird (probably because James Lomenzo played one on Pride & Glory)

Oooh, I like this, but where do ya start??! :lol:

I have to start with Ricks, purely in tribute to the OP's opening statement, and I'm referring to the 4001/3 Rick, shocking to look at, and play.

Anything headless, they look like snow shovels with strings.

Anything that has an odd looking exotic wood top, they look like coffee tables, horrid.

Anything with more than 4 strings, simply unneccessary.

LED's, really??, do people [i]actually[/i] think these are cool??

Any Wish bass. These are jokes right?

I could go on, and on, and on, I have far more bass-hates than bass-likes. :P

As you can see, I'm pretty traditional. All my favourite songs, and players, all used Fenders, and they sound, strangely, just like bass guitars. If its good enough for them, its definitely good enough for me. Almost every bassist i know, has spent years playing, and buying all kinds of basses, and almost without exception, they end up with a Fender.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1350858196' post='1844466']
Oooh, I like this, but where do ya start??! :lol:

I have to start with Ricks, purely in tribute to the OP's opening statement, and I'm referring to the 4001/3 Rick, shocking to look at, and play.

Anything headless, they look like snow shovels with strings.

Anything that has an odd looking exotic wood top, they look like coffee tables, horrid.

Anything with more than 4 strings, simply unneccessary.

LED's, really??, do people [i]actually[/i] think these are cool??

I could go on, and on, and on, I have far more bass-hates than bass-likes. :P

As you can see, I'm pretty traditional. All my favourite songs, and players, all used Fenders, and they sound, strangely, just like bass guitars. If its good enough for them, its definitely good enough for me. Almost every bassist i know, has spent years playing, and buying all kinds of basses, and almost without exception, they end up with a Fender.
[/quote]

Being a newbie I was afraid to say that about basses with more that 4 strings, but I totally agree with you (and fancy basses - 10.000 dollars Fodera etc )

[quote name='Stance' timestamp='1350858614' post='1844473']
Being a newbie I was afraid to say that about basses with more that 4 strings, but I totally agree with you (and fancy basses - 10.000 dollars Fodera etc )
[/quote]

Oh yeah, that reminds me, that Fodera ying yang thingy, looks like a tacky £200 beginners gimmick bass, or a 6th form hippy students woodwork project, just horrendous. What [i]were[/i] they thinking?