Why become a member? ×

The basses you love to hate thread.

StephenFerguson

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1350931183' post='1845255']

Bass I love to hate. The well made , very versatile and extremely playable workmanlike Jaydee. A professional's instrument to be proud of......... and I think they're too ugly to even look at !! Sorry Jaydee fans but they're just hideous.
[/quote]

I disagree on the looks, but it's the sound i couldn't get on with with mine...still don't think i could *hate* it though

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1350858196' post='1844466']

Anything headless, they look like snow shovels with strings.

Anything that has an odd looking exotic wood top, they look like coffee tables, horrid.

Anything with more than 4 strings, simply unneccessary.

LED's, really??, do people [i]actually[/i] think these are cool??

Any Wish bass. These are jokes right?

I could go on, and on, and on, I have far more bass-hates than bass-likes. :P
[/quote]

Rick, we have much to discuss :D

Can anybody tell me- when it comes to modulus, it seems to be a very marmite thing. I aspire to getting one, so somebody tell me what it is that makes people hate them? the best reason i have heard so far is that they feel "plastic-y", i suppose the graphite neck and high gloss finish would make them feel a bit like a toy.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1350931183' post='1845255']
I'm of the school of thought that he fine tuned it and got it 100% at the second attempt (not withstanding the 'prototype slab body single coil stretched telecaster guitar). All the niggles of the classic Precision are sorted with a Musicman Stingray. It's always been a Precision Mk II to me. Whatever - I still prefer the niggles of the Mk I !
[/quote]

i always thought of it as a MK11 jazz bass... maybe i'm just wrong :(

[quote name='Blackbird88' timestamp='1350911021' post='1844918']
Fenders, simply for the lack of originality, in all the time P and J basses have existed the body design has never really changed much, and they never seem to try anything new. Probably why I like the Blacktop Jazz, there's a bit of creativity there, deviating from the norm and taking a risk.

[/quote]

eeem, what? fender recently produced an article on "the instruments you didn't know fender made". There were 5, violins and such, than at the bottom, a link, because fender has produced so many different basses over the years (excluding all P's and J's here) that they had an entirely different article for it. fender has risked a lot, especially in terms of bass guitars, it just never beat the originals, and lack of demand meant they ultimately dropped most of them. stick THAT in yer pipe and smoke it :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1350895355' post='1844647']
I can forgive Fenders for being 'boring' because of their pedigree, but I find Ibanez SR and those old Bass Collections with the skinny headstock really, really dull looking, as if they were designed by a committee of accountants.
[/quote]

good news- today we made the headstock an entire 8.7% smaller. This will result in less wasted timber and provide an annual saving of around £20!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1350933296' post='1845303']
eeem, what? fender recently produced an article on "the instruments you didn't know fender made". There were 5, violins and such, than at the bottom, a link, because fender has produced so many different basses over the years (excluding all P's and J's here) that they had an entirely different article for it. fender has risked a lot, especially in terms of bass guitars, it just never beat the originals, and lack of demand meant they ultimately dropped most of them. stick THAT in yer pipe and smoke it :D
[/quote]

Do you have the link to that article?

Thanks

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1350932689' post='1845288']
i always thought of it as a MK11 jazz bass... maybe i'm just wrong :(
[/quote]

A ray's too 'chunky' all round for a jazz , I think.

As for you LED haters..............

2 things

1) For everyone - side LED's (not on the front) have been a godsend to me. I had them put on my Shuker and they work well in bright sinlight and spot lights as well as in the dark.

2) I'm seriously thinking of having Aurora put front LEDs and also a lit pickguard on my Blueflower Jap 54P with it's red dice knobs and pink furry strap. It's a fun bass ( though the badass , Schaller pegs and Duncan pup upgrades make it serious too) - so why not have more fun ?? Is it cool.......... well , I can't answer that because I don't know what cool is and have no desire to find out - but it would suit my camp/OTTstage persona and the band's image to a tee.

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1350928514' post='1845210']
Grrrrrr ;) For the price of a t-bird and the amount of time gibson have had to perfect the "design" I resent having to tweak the bugger just to get a well balanced bass, at the end of the day I prefer to play on a well balanced peice of wood with a good allroung range (exepting my P bass which has a,,,,,p bass range but its allowed) rather than an unweildy coffe table ;). Oh and for the record, some of the cheap tanglewoods and aria basses I have played are just as good as alot of branded mid range basses...flame returned :)
[/quote]

You have a point. Flame off. :)
I was thinking of the epi t-bird, most of the gibby ones I've played have balanced ok. It's just that the heads tend to snap off for no good reason.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1350935890' post='1845355']
You have a point. Flame off. :)
I was thinking of the epi t-bird, most of the gibby ones I've played have balanced ok. It's just that the heads tend to snap off for no good reason.
[/quote]

the heads snap off because they are a different piece of timber from the rest of the neck, scarf jointed onto the top of the neck. They do this so they can tilt the headstock back and avoid the strings jumping out of the nut or anything like that. lots of brands don't do that, because it weakens an already weak part of the neck, but i suppose its personal preference really.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1350902988' post='1844758']
Yes and yes, couple of twiddles on the bridge and truss rod and they were fine. Quick move of the strap button/chuck some weight on the body end of your strap and the t-bird stays put just lovely.
If you can't play bass well you may need to buy a more expensive instrument to make up for it.
:)
*flame on....*
[/quote]

If you have to do too much twiddling, adjustments of truss rods, move the strap button positions, and add weight to the body, then to be honest, you're buying a sh*te bass, and definitely the [i]wrong[/i] bass! :P

I'm not a fan of Thunderbirds in any way,however the Mike Lull T-Bird is killer.
Ric's aren't my favourites either-they look cool enough,but I don't like playing them.
Pointy basses in general I find horrible.
I generally like Ibanez basses,but I wish they'd stop making signature basses with stupid
graphics and inlays (That big K5 inlay ruins an otherwise nice bass.)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1350911953' post='1844935']
err.... you know fender invented the original right?
[/quote]

I do, I meant that not much about them has changed since then, sorry for the ambiguity.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1350934605' post='1845325']
http://axvault.com/2012/10/10/five-other-fender-instruments/

there's the article. Can't be bothered finding the links to the bass specific part, but it should be in there somewhere.
[/quote]

I did not know about this, I'll have a read of it tomorrow, I'm at work right now on a nightshift. And in the meantime I'll amend my comments to this "Fender P and J basses are way too common". I realise they're common for a reason, but I prefer something a little more unusual. Based on which I'm not sure why I play an Ibanez SR...

Edited by Blackbird88

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1350936341' post='1845363']
the heads snap off because they are a different piece of timber from the rest of the neck, scarf jointed onto the top of the neck. They do this so they can tilt the headstock back and avoid the strings jumping out of the nut or anything like that. lots of brands don't do that, because it weakens an already weak part of the neck, but i suppose its personal preference really.
[/quote]

The scarf jointed necks are stronger than the one piece ones. Is all of the point of a scarf joint, the grain keeps going in the right direction, its the one piece necks with angled headstocks that break off, like on Gibsons.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1350946752' post='1845565']
The scarf jointed necks are stronger than the one piece ones. Is all of the point of a scarf joint, the grain keeps going in the right direction, its the one piece necks with angled headstocks that break off, like on Gibsons.
[/quote]Yep. Milty get youz facts straight!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1350949737' post='1845584']
Don't wanna be a negative force on BC, but would it be too much asked for you to tell the rest of us what that object is?

best.
bert
[/quote]

It's a strap isn't it?

If you can actually call it a bass...the Kala U Bass. Really?? Close to 500 quid for something that you will only use to amuse your mates with once or twice and get bored of soon afterwards because you own another bass that you can actually use in a practical, conventional situation. Stupidly expensive for what it is. I hear they are releasing or have already released a 5 string model. Give me a break!