Why become a member? ×

Best Female Bass Player

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='394887' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:13 PM']And I'd love to know why.[/quote]

Although it's a generalisation based on the the nature of the human brain, men are more obsessive whilst women are better at multi-tasking. Thus in the workplace women often make better managers and administators whilst men often make better sales people, traders or engineers. All of which stems back to prehistory where the man that was utterly singleminded about being the best at hunting or finding a mate tended to succeed, as did the woman that could look after a load of children whilst keeping the fire going and preparing the food. Survival of the fittest as it once was (which I now suspect means we'll have de-evolution as those that procreate soonest and more prolifically will take over...)

Anyway, getting good at an instrument requires a rather male degree of obsession. Note how many female singer-songwriters there are compared to 'virtuoso' widdly guitarists!

Would anyone care to name a notable gay bass player? I've been racking my brain but I can't think of any! (It is claimed that the homosexual male brain is more like the heterosexual female brain).

Regarding the original topic, Me'Shell Ndegeocello may not be the best but she's certainly the baddest IMO.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='395519' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:20 PM']Would anyone care to name a notable gay bass player? I've been racking my brain but I can't think of any! (It is claimed that the homosexual male brain is more like the heterosexual female brain).[/quote]

Steve Swallow (allegedly)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='395519' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:20 PM']Although it's a generalisation based on the the nature of the human brain, men are more obsessive whilst women are better at multi-tasking. Thus in the workplace women often make better managers and administators whilst men often make better sales people, traders or engineers. All of which stems back to prehistory where the man that was utterly singleminded about being the best at hunting or finding a mate tended to succeed, as did the woman that could look after a load of children whilst keeping the fire going and preparing the food. Survival of the fittest as it once was (which I now suspect means we'll have de-evolution as those that procreate soonest and more prolifically will take over...)

Anyway, getting good at an instrument requires a rather male degree of obsession. Note how many female singer-songwriters there are compared to 'virtuoso' widdly guitarists![/quote]

imho you're looking in the wrong direction. Generalising music based on a type, ie rock music, where it's still trying to break free of traditional male stereotypes. (given that traditional rock and roll music isn't even 100 years old) To prove my point, you only have to look at classical music and the amount of amazing female musicians that there are. That kind of puts the whole brain obsession theory out in the window i'd say.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='395519' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:20 PM']Would anyone care to name a notable gay bass player? I've been racking my brain but I can't think of any! (It is claimed that the homosexual male brain is more like the heterosexual female brain).[/quote]

sexual orientation doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Just because you don't know somebody is gay, doesn't mean that they aren't.

Edited by bumfrog

[quote name='bumfrog' post='395540' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:48 PM']sexual orientation doesn't make any difference whatsoever.[/quote]

+1; same for skin colour and sex.

Not trying to be a killjoy though. I have no problem with a thread of 'Prettiest bass players' or the fact that given the makeup of BC most of them would be female.

That JJ Burnel was a bit of a fox though :-)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='395519' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:20 PM']Would anyone care to name a notable gay bass player? I've been racking my brain but I can't think of any![/quote]

[url="http://www.andyfraser.com/andy.html"]Andy Fraser[/url], formerly of Free.

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stefan+olsdal"]Stefan Olsdal[/url] of Placebo.

[url="http://www.nypost.com/seven/05192007/gossip/pagesix/gay_and_furtive_rock_n_roller_pagesix_.htm"]Chuck Panozzo[/url] of Styx.

And, I'm sure, lots more. Maybe even some on BC.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='OldGit' post='395527' date='Jan 30 2009, 04:30 PM']Steve Swallow (allegedly)[/quote]

Vibraphonist Gary Burton, who has often worked with Swallow, is gay not allegedly but actually out.

Not that that can necessarily tell us anything about Swallow.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='400444' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:32 PM'][url="http://www.andyfraser.com/andy.html"]Andy Fraser[/url], formerly of Free.

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stefan+olsdal"]Stefan Olsdal[/url] of Placebo.

[url="http://www.nypost.com/seven/05192007/gossip/pagesix/gay_and_furtive_rock_n_roller_pagesix_.htm"]Chuck Panozzo[/url] of Styx.

And, I'm sure, lots more. Maybe even some on BC.[/quote]

Duff Mckagan - G n R , Velvet Wotsit.

According to an interview with Steve Adler in Classic Rock Magazine, before G n R were signed, and when they were both addicts, they were rent boys who used to do things to business men for $50 a pop. So to speak.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='400599' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:05 AM']Duff Mckagan - G n R , Velvet Wotsit.

According to an interview with Steve Adler in Classic Rock Magazine, before G n R were signed, and when they were both addicts, they were rent boys who used to do things to business men for $50 a pop. So to speak.[/quote]

Call me pedantic, but does providing a service actually count as being gay?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='401446' date='Feb 5 2009, 08:04 PM']Call me pedantic, but does providing a service actually count as being gay?[/quote]
If you are perfectly happy to put something in your mouth that heterosexual males would not, then I think so.

• 1 month later...