Why become a member? ×

Best Female Bass Player

[quote name='clauster' post='195307' date='May 9 2008, 10:21 AM']Yorks5stringer:

I was lucky enough to do the live sound for one of her gigs almost 20 years ago.

Bass into Yamaha SPX90 into PA
Microphone for the vox

Knew how to play and sing and really use FX creatively and musically.

At sound check she stood in front of the stacks to check her sound - "You've got 6db of boost at around 4khz, can you turn it down to 3 please?" I checked the desk and yes, there was 6db of boost right there!

Amazing lady![/quote]

Crikey! I think I need her as my sound person....

For me, Me'Shelle is as funky as funky gets; awesome player. Love Tina Weymouth too; great lines. Rhonda Smith is also excellent, as are Gail Ann Dorsey and Yolanda Charles; from a rock perspective I like Melissa Auf Der Maur who I think has a fabulous tone and great lines. I loved Suzi in the 70s, but more for the look than her playing. However at the moment I'm in love with Tal. She's wonderful. Her bass playing's not bad either. :) (although it did rather disturb me when a work colleague thought she was about 15!)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='348087' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:08 PM']Burke Shelley? Geddy Lee? :) :huh: (playing a cassette years ago
, I was asked by my boss 1 time''who's the chick singing'')

Enid from Girlshool? :huh:[/quote]

Much as I liked Enid I thought Tracey Lamb had a better tone. :huh:

Edited by 4000

[quote name='XB26354' post='195414' date='May 9 2008, 12:39 PM']Tal Wilkenfeld is playing with VC in more ways than one - which is perhaps why when he has a gig nowadays she is always there :huh:[/quote]

:)

Really???? Blimey, there's hope for me yet......

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='202804' date='May 20 2008, 12:17 PM']Paula Gardiner, Gill Alexander, Melissa Slocum, Chi CHi Nwanoku (principle Double Bassist with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment), Miranda Sykes, Antonella Mazza.....

I could go on - some of these pop bassists are a bit weak when looked at alongside some of the jazz and classical double bass players listed here. There are hundreds of quality female double bassists that could knock these 'celebrity' bassists into a cocked hat.

The world of music is broader than you think![/quote]

There are also probably hundreds of unknown bassists who could knock the majority of [i]any type[/i] of celebrity bassists into a cocked hat, and there probably always will be. What else is new?

Can you define how these pop bassists are "a bit weak"? Is the fact that they play for the song not sufficient? Was Jamerson "a bit weak" because he played pop? I know where you're coming from Bilbo and on some levels I agree, but sometimes it might help if you could get off the "jazz is [i]so[/i] superior to all other musical forms" soapbox. Besides which, there are many reasons for liking a player and many ways in which a player can be good, and it's not all to do with having the greatest technique or most sophisticated note choice, unless you only tend to think of music in intellectual terms, which for me is rather missing the point.

(Sorry, I've had 45 years of this from my dad and it gets right on my Wilkenfelds!!!!).

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='349165' date='Dec 8 2008, 10:22 PM']Can you define how these pop bassists are "a bit weak"? Is the fact that they play for the song not sufficient? Was Jamerson "a bit weak" because he played pop? I know where you're coming from Bilbo and on some levels I agree, but sometimes it might help if you could get off the "jazz is [i]so[/i] superior to all other musical forms" soapbox. Besides which, there are many reasons for liking a player and many ways in which a player can be good, and it's not all to do with having the greatest technique or most sophisticated note choice, unless you only tend to think of music in intellectual terms, which for me is rather missing the point.

(Sorry, I've had 45 years of this from my dad and it gets right on my Wilkenfelds!!!!).[/quote]

My point was that the suggestion that a handful of high profile female pop bassists are carrying a flag for feminism in contemporary music fails to acknowledge the dozens of classical and jazz players out there who have been solid working professionals for decades. I know of one female friend who wanted to play the double bass but was told by a male d/b player that women couldn't play it because it was too physical - I'd like to meet the guy who told her that :) . Of course some of these players that are being discussed are perfectly credible bass players and are probably very capable but my point was simply that the 'phenonmenon' of a female bass player should not be seen as a novelty anymore than a female doctor, dentist, solicitor, judge.....

For the record, I think discussions about 'female' anything are chauvanistic and indicative of a patriarchal attitude to women and to what they can achieve.

PS Jazz is superior - its not my fault!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='351928' date='Dec 11 2008, 04:49 PM']My point was that the suggestion that a handful of high profile female pop bassists are carrying a flag for feminism in contemporary music fails to acknowledge the dozens of classical and jazz players out there who have been solid working professionals for decades. I know of one female friend who wanted to play the double bass but was told by a male d/b player that women couldn't play it because it was too physical - I'd like to meet the guy who told her that :) . Of course some of these players that are being discussed are perfectly credible bass players and are probably very capable but my point was simply that the 'phenonmenon' of a female bass player should not be seen as a novelty anymore than a female doctor, dentist, solicitor, judge.....

For the record, I think discussions about 'female' anything are chauvanistic and indicative of a patriarchal attitude to women and to what they can achieve.

PS Jazz is superior - its not my fault![/quote]

I would hate you to meet my dad. he's 87. fought the Japanes in the 2nd world war and has medals and he's a lovley person. yet without realising it he's a Fascst, racsist. dislikes gays. and thinks women belong in the kitchen.he's from a generation thats slowly dissapearing. but those views are always going to be around. my post was'nt to belittle women bass players. the one in the youtube vid is a better player than me ans she can also sing as well.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='351928' date='Dec 11 2008, 04:49 PM']My point was that the suggestion that a handful of high profile female pop bassists are carrying a flag for feminism in contemporary music fails to acknowledge the dozens of classical and jazz players out there who have been solid working professionals for decades. I know of one female friend who wanted to play the double bass but was told by a male d/b player that women couldn't play it because it was too physical - I'd like to meet the guy who told her that :) . Of course some of these players that are being discussed are perfectly credible bass players and are probably very capable but my point was simply that the 'phenonmenon' of a female bass player should not be seen as a novelty anymore than a female doctor, dentist, solicitor, judge.....

PS Jazz is superior - its not my fault![/quote]

Sorry Bilbo, didn't realise you were just having a go at the "female" aspect. However I just saw the thread as a bit of fun really, in the same way as if it had been "your favourite rock player" or "favourite Fender player" or whatever, or your "favourite science fiction film". Heck, they have "best actress' at the Oscars, no one seems to have a problem with that, and it has also probably brought to light some players that may not have got a mention elsewhere. I definitely didn't see it as chauvinistic, but having grown up in a family dominated by strong women I don't think I even know what that really means! We could always do a "favourite male player" thread to even things out. :huh:

PS...I think you should meet my dad....he'd like you! At least until you mentioned Miles Davis "going electric".... :huh:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='4000' post='353024' date='Dec 12 2008, 07:26 PM']Sorry Bilbo, didn't realise you were just having a go at the "female" aspect. However I just saw the thread as a bit of fun really, in the same way as if it had been "your favourite rock player" or "favourite Fender player" or whatever, or your "favourite science fiction film". Heck, they have "best actress' at the Oscars, no one seems to have a problem with that, and it has also probably brought to light some players that may not have got a mention elsewhere. I definitely didn't see it as chauvinistic, but having grown up in a family dominated by strong women I don't think I even know what that really means! We could always do a "favourite male player" thread to even things out. ;)[/quote]

Sure it's just a bit of fun, but can you imagine a 'Best black bass player' or 'Best gay bass player' thread?

[quote name='bremen' post='394819' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:10 PM']Sure it's just a bit of fun, but can you imagine a 'Best black bass player' or 'Best gay bass player' thread?[/quote]

Take your point, but (more in reply to Bilbo, really, but not picking on him per se) there's no question that large swathes of musical endeavour are notable for the statistical under-representation of women. [i]Even[/i] Jazz is a bit - er - male dominated ;)

And I'd love to know why.

Given that they count for over 50% of the world's population, it would be a [i]Good Thing [/i] on so many levels if there were more women players. Because then there'd just be [i]more players[/i], irrespective of their gender or their genre.

And then we wouldn't have to differentiate - there'd just be fiery threads about who's better - Tal Wilkenfeld, Victor Wooten or Charlie Mingus.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='348087' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:08 PM']Burke Shelley? Geddy Lee? :P :) (playing a cassette years ago
, I was asked by my boss 1 time''who's the chick singing'')

Enid from Girlshool? :huh:[/quote]

I'll tell Burke that next time I see him ;)
What were you listening to .. and what's a cassette?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='194078' date='May 7 2008, 05:02 PM']Constance Redgrave out of [url="http://www.spikedrivers.co.uk"]Spikedrivers[/url]... she's one of the finest blues bass players I've heard, and a tone to die for...

[url="http://www.spikedrivers.co.uk/downloads/03soulsearchinblues.mp3"]Soul Searchin' Blues[/url]

[url="http://www.spikedrivers.co.uk/downloads/02youngandstupid.mp3"]Young and Stupid[/url][/quote]

+1 Did you know she tunes the E down to a D? They dragged me up for a slot on my 40th and it completely threw me. She's great. ;)

But... Me'Shell, all the way "If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night' is probably my favourite bit of electric bass-playing from anyone, male or female.

I would have to give an honourable mention to Yolanda Charles of Robbie Williams fame (if you like that sort of thing)...

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q92r3-khXOg"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q92r3-khXOg[/url]

Mentioned before but a +1 for Melissa Auf der Maur, mostly 'cos I'm into that ginger thing :-)