Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan infatuation

bubinga5

clinical maybe but soulless, i cant get my head around..you only have to listen to AJA's title track to know these guys were doing something special, there music like loweregisterhead said, takes me to another place.. but of course this is all a mute point if they dont do it for you...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1350751309' post='1843095']
Horrible, clinical, souless, over-produced. I must be missing something. Give me Steeleye Span (who still tour regularly) any day.
[/quote]

Blimey...couldn't agree less, but each their own of course! I think the songs are beautifully crafted, and full of soul, but what do I know?? I've got Husker Du on in the background.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1350755632' post='1843191']
ok - i know the odd song by them.

one album to start with please...
[/quote]i always think the best way to listen to any new band is to buy "the best of " showbiz kids is a great one... but i think AJA is the one to really hear SD at there best...

then maybe a look at Fagans masterpiece the Nightfly.. thats a different kettle of soul altogether mind.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1350746958' post='1843005']
Great music, and having seen basschats Pete Academy's Steely Dan tribute band (Nearly Dan) I can thoroughly recommend them too. :D

Frank.
[/quote]
Our drummer who's a bid Steely Dan fan, went and saw 'Nearly Dan' last week, and he said they were amazing!

Unfortunately, for me, I know that Steely Dan are extremely good at what they do, but I think I would be bored after about 20 minutes.

Please go easy on me, it's just my opinion! :huh:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1350765395' post='1843349']
Yep, pick any band or artist and we could have exactly the same discussion and range of opinions.
[/quote]
Yet nobody jumped into the recent David Bowie and Chris Squier thread saying anything negative :rolleyes:

(I don't like either,I just didn't think it was worth commenting on. But I do like most of Steely Dan's stuff.)

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1350764192' post='1843329']
I like the first album, but the others I tried sounded a bit like lift music.
[/quote] oh please not the generic lift music cliche.. i hear that so many times... i dont care if its not your preference but dont palm it off in such a way

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1350766757' post='1843368']
oh please not the generic lift music cliche.. i hear that so many times... i dont care if its not your preference but dont palm it off in such a way
[/quote]

You know what they say, no smoke without fire. To me it sounded like lift music. It's the production and some of the percussion they use on the later albums, it makes me feel like I'm trapped in John Lewis.

I know they're good, though, I really like the first album, some great tunes.

Great band - have been a fan for a good while now. Glad I got the chance to see them at Hammersmith a few years ago as they weren't really renowned for touring a lot. Keith Carlock was on fire that night with Ready Freddie Washington on bass.

The Royal Scam & Aja my two favourite albums - a great intro for anyone wanting to get into the 'Dan'...

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1350752688' post='1843115']
Yes, I think you are, but you're doubtless moved by something else entirely. For me, I don't get Miles Davis, or The Beatles, or a whole host of other acts that most people might think sublime for that matter, but I think Steely Dan are wonderful. When I put on one of their albums, I'm transported to another place. Yet, when I was offered tickets to see them live in London a number of years ago, I turned them down - I didn't want to be disappointed. On record, they're always fabulous. All part of the rich tapestry that is life, my friend!! :)
[/quote]

Absolutely agree, I love their music, including most of the recent stuff. I don't like the Beatles either, but I do like Miles, so it is indeed horses for courses. Souless though? Don't get that at all. Maybe it depends on where your soul's at?

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1350830402' post='1843938']
I'm finding that on gigs we're getting more and more younger people turning up, who find Steely Dan quite hip.
[/quote]i put AJA on when i go to my sisters house and her 2 daughters love it..... they always say "put steely on" i think its great to bring up kids listening to music like that... did me the world of good being subjected to micheal mcdonald and george benson when i was a nipper

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1350840176' post='1844102']
I also quite like the later albums. Two Against Nature, especially. Gaslighting Abbie is a bass masterpiece and was a nightmare to learn.
[/quote]
I love Gaslighting Abbie! It was a firm favourite of my dad's to, those low D's sound wonderful.
The Aja album is an early memory of visiting my dad in London and always reminds me of it. I remember seeing that cover and not knowing what it was exactly, still don't if I'm honest! I was always drawn to them 'cos my name was on the cover! That album in particular always struck me as 'one of those' albums, it's difficult for me to describe but the kind of album that knew what it was. If that makes any sense? Home At Last and Josie are fantastic pieces of music and I'll never tire of them.
Hey Nineteen is great to.

Dan