Why become a member? ×

is this really a Bongo?

alyctes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-STRING-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-UNUSED-UNUSUAL-LOVELY-METALLIC-RED-FINISH-/150922825951?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2323b390df

I have no idea - I don't like the shape, so I haven't paid much attention to them. But this might go cheaply.

That's strange... It IS a Bongo, but the top horn looks out of shape... In fact the whole body does... Inlays are all wrong... And the angles that the strings go towards the tuning pegs from the nut looks all wrong...

But then again, maybe the fact that you asked if it's real has put doubt in my mind :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

Fake. No way is this a Bongo.

Body shape wrong.
Knobs should be recessed into body - and are in the wrong position anyway.
Inlays should be crescent-shaped.
Musicman engraving missing from bridge.
Strap buttons are not Musicman shaped.
Headstock graphic too small.
Tuners too long.
Nut wrong.
Trussrod wheel missing.
Pickup covers wrongly shaped around attachment screws.
Stacked knobs missing.
And the text describes non-Bongo electronics. On a Bongo, the pickups do not have their own volume and tone controls.

I've probably missed something real obvious - but need I go on?

CB

Edited by cloudburst

That is (must be) a copy. The strings from the machine heads to the nut should be straight and parallel with each other. The top horn goes no higher than the 13th fret and it should stop at the 12th. The dip at the highest nob, is totally wrong. There is no logo on the bridge. The knobs look cheap, etc.

Its a MoosicMoon Bingo.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1350249618' post='1836441']
[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/new-Music-bass-5-Sterling-Silver-Black-Pickguard-electric-bass/149880-2460644.html"]http://www.tradetang...80-2460644.html[/url]
[/quote]

Apart from the paint job, this is a VERY convincing copy!

Okay - you forced me into it - it's a Wrongo :-)

On a more serious note. These aren't copies. Copies display the legitimate manufacturer on the headstock. These are illegal fakes. Given Chinese efficiency and the fact that they aren't going to tool up just to turn out a small number, you have to wonder just how many of these are in circulation. And how many budding players are being hindered or put off. We're all quick (and right) to get uptight about MD Phillips' misadventures. This is just as bad in my book.

Doubly bad, in fact, as the potential is there for MDP to start importing these and then doing a "professional" setup on them.

CB

Edited by cloudburst