Why become a member? ×

Great covers YOU'VE played.

pietruszka

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1349876875' post='1831639']
I can't ever get past the fact that a great cover is only a cover. There is a simple buzz to be got from a job well done but it has always remained a shallow victory for me.
[/quote]
I appreciate that it might not be the same as creating your own material but surely you must admit that it is great fun to get to grips with the music that your favourite bands made. Even players of the caliber of Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan & Mike Portnoy (along with various singers) get together to play tribute gigs of their heroes (Led Zep, The Who & Rush, etc) just for fun!

Some of the best moments of my recent musical life have been in a rehearsal room playing in a band with a s*** hot guitarist jamming Highway Star or working out Led Zep, Van Halen & Randy Rhodes era Ozzy material note for note, seeing how it was put together and knowing that you are doing these great pieces of music justice. Almost gives you an idea of what it was like to have been in that rehearsal studio when the songs that made you want to play in the first place were put together!

Sometimes it is satisfying enough to simply know that you are standing in the footsteps of giants…..

Edited by peteb

There's a huge difference between playing the instrument well (whatever the instrument may be...) and writing/creating great music (especially lyrics, I find...). Take our (modest...) band, for example. None of us have any inspiration for writing genuine good stuff. No 'big statement' to make about the Human Condition (at least, not in song to a crowd of folks...). What do we play..? Other folk's stuff that we enjoy playing and others enjoy hearing. There's a touch of 'barge-pole' attitude, I feel, in the perceived distain for 'covers'.
I get a thrill when we get 'Grace' (Jeff Buckley...) right, and 'Killing in the name of' (Rage etc...) bring up wells of emotion. There are others. Good music is good music.
Most orchestral music is 'covers' (Tchaikovsky, anyone, or Schubert..?).

Edited by Dad3353

If the guys can play then they are going to be able to take a whole load of bog standards and run with them.....
and when they get hold of a track and go through the gears then you know you have a fun band and any gig
has the potential to be excellent

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1349876330' post='1831627']
Got a few good musicians in my band- but still as I am a grumpy old man I am never satisfied- never happy with the sound- cant stand our audience- or indeed other band members. Love playing my bass though-
[/quote]

Could we be related?

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1349897446' post='1832037']
:0 Do you have a recording of this?! I'd love to hear it!
[/quote]

Sorry no we only played it live once I think. It was something that sprung up in a rehearsal one day and bizarrely it got a round of applause from some other bands in the rehearsal studios when we finished, so we snuck it in live later that week when our guitarist was tuning up. It did sound immense though. :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1349898161' post='1832055']

I appreciate that it might not be the same as creating your own material but surely you must admit that it is great fun to get to grips with the music that your favourite bands made. Even players of the caliber of Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan & Mike Portnoy (along with various singers) get together to play tribute gigs of their heroes (Led Zep, The Who & Rush, etc) just for fun!

[/quote]

I guess its easier to enjoy playing this stuff for fun when you are generally satisfied with the stuff you do all of the time. If I did 200 great gigs a year, doing 2 tribute gigs or whetever may float my boat. It is the idea of doing the 200 gigs of this stuff that puts me off (mind you, doing ANY of the gigs by the three people you named would not really work for me either! :lol:).

Interesting point. I play with Brazilian guy and enjoy the Brazilian covers he does but hate all of the English language covers. The problem is, the English ones are, to him, 'exotic' and the Brazilian tunes are cheesy. I guess its all about context or familiarity breeding contempt!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1349946837' post='1832484']

I guess its easier to enjoy playing this stuff for fun when you are generally satisfied with the stuff you do all of the time. If I did 200 great gigs a year, doing 2 tribute gigs or whetever may float my boat. It is the idea of doing the 200 gigs of this stuff that puts me off (mind you, doing ANY of the gigs by the three people you named would not really work for me either! :lol:).
[/quote]
Different things for different people - playing Van Halen songs with Paul Gilbert would be my idea of heaven...!

Another 2 i'd like to add are when me and my friend Jess were messing around after a live lounge. The first time we'd ever played guitar together (It's normally me on guitar and her on vocals, then she takes the guitar and i f*ck off to take pictures), threw out Your Call by Secondhand Serenade and up to the second solo of Sweet Child of Mine whilst just stood in the kitchen doorway with 2 acoustics. Both came out of nowhere, and i really wish they'd been caught on camera (Except my singing, get rid of that)

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1349875397' post='1831619']
....That band was so satisfying, even though we played just covers....
[/quote]

This is the point for me.

With very few exceptions I don't mind what I'm playing as long as the other musicians are good players, nice people and the band is working well as a unit.

All the bands do a few "toe curlers" but I can live with that when I see the audience reaction, singing and dancing, and then when the band gets re-booked for the next year (I had to buy the 2013 diary in August!) I know were doing something right.

Did a bee gees song the other night at a run through, thought it would be awful when I saw it on the list, but it was one of those moments where you just smile cause it just sounds so right

Re the op , madness songs and the like are real fun, and hats off if you pulled of that blockheads line well

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1349989932' post='1833355']
Did a bee gees song the other night at a run through, thought it would be awful when I saw it on the list, but it was one of those moments where you just smile cause it just sounds so right

Re the op , madness songs and the like are real fun, and hats off if you pulled of that blockheads line well
[/quote]
Yeah, we got hit me nailed, the sax player did all that odd blow your nose Payne type stuff, I'm sure he did the 2 saxes at the same time on occasion to. We did Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll to, which was also really good. Man that line up made everything sound good!

Dan