Why become a member? ×

is it possible to play drums and bass well...?

lowdowner

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1349467493' post='1826851']

The difference is that Jaco played drums first, a wrist injury was the reason he switched to bass IIRC
[/quote]

Im fully aware of this but felt it was slightly irrelevant (and i imagine widely known on here) and therefore not worth reguritation. Does it matter whether Jaco learnt drums or bass first?

The question is; Is it possible to play drums and bass well?

My answer that it is (as Jaco has proven, regardless of order) still stands.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1349470699' post='1826917']
Wasn't it Lennon who said that Ringo wasn't the best drummer in The Beatles? :lol:
[/quote]

He later went on to say he was one of the best drummers of all time! Ringo was a really great drummer.

To the OP, drums, guitar, keyboards, trombone, glockenspiel, it doesn't matter what instrument you take up, if you feel you have the time then there should be no reason at all why you shouldn't take up the drums. Obviously spending as much time being close to the drummer as you probably have playing in a band should give you a vague idea about the physicality and dexterity involved in playing. Just do it, there's no limit on the amount of instruments you can and can't play.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349473936' post='1826985']
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be going anywhere near a gig like that with a guy who has been playing a few years, let alone less...
[/quote]

<frowns> Right - that's *you* off my invitation list then... shame, 'cause there's free cup-cakes and everything! :) </frowns>

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1349465290' post='1826807']
... not at the same time obviously, that would be completely insane... :)

[/quote]

I saw Billy Sheehan play bass and kick drum/hi hat at the same time as part of an insane bass solo. That was quite impressive. I tried it during a band practice and fell over the drum stool, dinging my headstock in the process. :(

I started learning drums maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I found it really easy to get some simple beats, a bit more difficult to get fills in time, and it would be a lifetimes work to sound like a really good pro drummer. There's no substitute for time behind the kit, it really shows in your playing.

So it depends what level you want to take it to and how much time you've got to invest I reckon.

But I'd also say drums is one of the most enjoyable learning experiences there is.

I found it really frustrating.
As much of my bass playing style hinges upon rhythm and timing/delivery, I found that my lack of ability on drums clashed very badly with my sense of rhythm.
That and a lack of practise space scuppered my attempts. I had an electric kit, but even that occupied too much space, and the neighbours hated the noise the kick pedal/pad made, even with the solid concrete floors downstairs...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1349514753' post='1827182']
I found it really frustrating.
As much of my bass playing style hinges upon rhythm and timing/delivery, I found that my lack of ability on drums clashed very badly with my sense of rhythm.
That and a lack of practise space scuppered my attempts. I had an electric kit, but even that occupied too much space, and the neighbours hated the noise the kick pedal/pad made, even with the solid concrete floors downstairs...
[/quote]

Very good point, I've lost count of the number of times I'm playing some fantastic stuff on the drums, full of great dynamics and groove. Listened back and thought it actually sounded a bit flat. Plugged in the bass to play along and found my drumming was all over the place and I was a drummer I didn't want to work with. :blink:

All part of the learning process I guess.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1349511698' post='1827141']
I can play a lot of different instruments, but I've never got anywhere with drums. It requires the kind of physical co-ordination of all 4 limbs that you've either got, or you haven't!
[/quote]

I've had a similar experience, play quite a few things but with drumming it is so hard to get your feet working properly.

But I say go for it! we all have a different amount of natural talent at varied things,maybe it's one of your best.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1349511698' post='1827141']
I can play a lot of different instruments, but I've never got anywhere with drums. It requires the kind of physical co-ordination of all 4 limbs that you've either got, or you haven't!
[/quote]

I had a lesson (just 1!) back in may and found the coordination between feet and hands relatively natural - I found I could pump out a syncopated, or slowly changing, pattern without too much practice. I know there is far more to it than this, but my teacher at the time said that my coordination was pretty good.

I've booked another lesson - just managed to squeeze this task in before my up coming 5 hour band rehearsal with loads of bass playing :)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1349506553' post='1827099']
<frowns> Right - that's *you* off my invitation list then... shame, 'cause there's free cup-cakes and everything! :) </frowns>
[/quote]

:lol: I meant in general.... and the cup cakes might be pursuasive....!!

Yes, it is. I will be doing it myself in some thirty years from now. Watch this space.

I seriously believe playing the drums as well as you can in addition to a musical instrument (couldn't hold myself) is one of the best things to do. At any rate, one normally won't play the main instrument any more than 5 or 6 hours a day, so that leaves a lot of time for learning to play drums.

Don't gimme no crap about jobs and kids, please. You've only got one lif

Sorry, kids shouting BRB