Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feeder bass tabs taken down?

Themrperson

Hi guys I have noticed a problem when looking of feeder bass tabs on ultimate guitar they all all appear to be taken down! When you try to go on one this message appears...

"This tablature has been made unavailable in your country at the request
of the rights owner."

Its the same for all the guitar tabs and chords, so what has caused this to happen? I think it is copy right that has caused but its only feeder that is like that. I'm not really bothered getting them on ultimate guitar as I can get them else where on the internet but I would like to add them to my favorites on the ultimate guitar app.

because unofficial tab can be viewed as infringing copyright under the DCMA.

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/about/dmca.htm"]http://www.ultimate-.../about/dmca.htm[/url]

the arguments have been going on for years....anyone remember the problems [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-line_Guitar_Archive"]OLGA [/url]had ?

Edited by ahpook

Pain in the backside when you want to learn something in a hurry and you're used to reading tabs - had a right game trying to find one for Bowie's 'Life on Mars' a year or so ago. Emphasises the usefulness of being able to listen and figure a song out though - and Feeder basslines are probably a good place to start :)

Try 911 tabs. This seems to have lots of other options but the pop up and adverts are a pain even with an anti pop up setting.

[url="http://www.911tabs.com/"]http://www.911tabs.com/[/url]

I have just realised how stupid the last bit of that sentance sounds but you will see what I mean.

Edited by jezzaboy

My personal feelings about tablature aside, I think it's a bit OTT for publishers and owners to be so heavy-handed with these types of sites. There are much worse things going on out there with regards to copyright infringement than dealing with tab sites, it's just finding that line.

A ridiculous heavy handed approach to something that really isn't causing the music industry a problem regards lost revenue. If you try looking for official transcripts for bass your choice is severely limited. I personally take a dim view of bands who would support blocking unofficial tab.

Whats wrong with listening to the record and figuring it out for yourself? I don't think I've ever used tabs to learn a song and as a dep for function bands I've often had to learn 20 or more in a week! Improves your listening skills no end if you can listen to a tune once or twice and figure it out... One of the guitards I know used to send me tabs for songs all the time, usually I can tell they are wrong within one listen - who writes these things!?

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1349107202' post='1821895']
Whats wrong with listening to the record and figuring it out for yourself? I don't think I've ever used tabs to learn a song and as a dep for function bands I've often had to learn 20 or more in a week! Improves your listening skills no end if you can listen to a tune once or twice and figure it out... One of the guitards I know used to send me tabs for songs all the time, usually I can tell they are wrong within one listen - who writes these things!?
[/quote]

Time, mainly. I used tab loads last year when in a covers band. I don't have the time to work it out by ear, I have the trappings of a full time job, kids etc.

Although I can't see how lecturing someone on 'learn yourself by ear' is pertinent to the thread.

And surely it's obvious who writes tabs, people who learn songs by ear. Given that most of it's wrong then, learning by ear can't be as accurate as it's cracked up to be.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1349097190' post='1821690']
Arguably, if it's wrong it shouldn't infringe copyright. It becomes someone else's interpretation of the original.
[/quote]

I agree. If by some miracle the tab was 100% correct then the artist / composer could have grounds to have it it removed. Most other tabs are just something to get you started IME.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1349128737' post='1822315']

I agree. If by some miracle the tab was 100% correct then the artist / composer could have grounds to have it it removed. Most other tabs are just something to get you started IME.
[/quote]

Can it be deemed infringement due to the title regardless if the content is 100% accurate ?

Yep, so rock n roll isn't it

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1349127914' post='1822303']
Time, mainly. I used tab loads last year when in a covers band. I don't have the time to work it out by ear, I have the trappings of a full time job, kids etc.

Although I can't see how lecturing someone on 'learn yourself by ear' is pertinent to the thread.

And surely it's obvious who writes tabs, people who learn songs by ear. Given that most of it's wrong then, learning by ear can't be as accurate as it's cracked up to be.
[/quote]
No....it means that certain people haven't trained their ear well enough. Most of those that have trained their ear well
don't write tabs on the internet.

Learning by ear is a relevant point because I get the impression that some people think it's a bummer that the tabs have
been removed-but if you spend 5 minutes searching for a (dodgy) tab online,that's 5 minutes that you could have spent
learning by ear.Even if it's only 4 bars,you are improving your ear so that next time you might be able to 8 bars in the same
time..it's all an improvement.
Feeder songs aren't that difficult..they'd be a good starting point to get your ear together.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349130686' post='1822346']
Learning by ear is a relevant point because I get the impression that some people think it's a bummer that the tabs have
been removed-but if you spend 5 minutes searching for a (dodgy) tab online,that's 5 minutes that you could have spent
learning by ear.
[/quote]

I think it's a bummer they've been taken down, but not because I'd need them to learn the songs

This 'copyright' turned into blatant fascism some years back. In this case all that's being shared is a raw plain-text file. No sound, graphics or classical music notation. On top of that they're being shared non-commercially (aka not for profit) and the tabs are largely derivatives made by fans. This isn't simply a case of "well it's better to learn by ear".

there is something very holier than thou about the people telling us to just 'develop our ear', just a touch of arrogance.

Of course in an ideal world we'd all be able to read music, play scales sing in perfect pitch and be able to improvise in 11/4 time etc Guess what some of us have cloth ears, others have jobs and families and other commitments, for some of us it is just a hobby we enjoy. If tabs help us on the way then what is the harm, actually if they help people get started then that's more than OK it's brilliant and the sometimes inaccurate tabs are done by people who are kind and generous enough to give their mite to strangers. Come to think of it who decided being able to read music notation is fab and reading tab is for thickies? Rant over, sorry.

Actually you are allowed to copy small parts of copyrighted material for private study. As far as I know this has never been tested in court for tabs so how much constitutes a small part is completely unclear. Is it just a riff or could you copy the whole part for a single instrument? I feel sorry for UG, as the biggest player in the market they are such an obvious target for the big music publishers/copyright holders they had to do a deal.

911 is just a crawler I found all the 12 versions of Nutbush City Limit chords are the same (incorrect) version I put on UG several years ago interesting that one claims to be a piano piece and some are rated 5* and others 3*!!! Actually most of the tabs on 911 are found on other crawler sites so I guess each time one of the sites finds a tab on 911, 911 will log that as a new version a nd eventually the internet will crash under the combined weight of billions of incorrect Nutbush chords :D

A shame, but no suprise, that as usual we have the [i]Tab is crap learn by ear[/i] brigade posting. The thead is about the fact that Tabs have been removed due to what appears to be a
contentious reason.