Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1351529925' post='1852239']
Looking forward to the rehearsal, but hope Vox and Guitar don't start bickering as usual. :o
[/quote]

I feel for you. That was a big problem in my last band. Guitar and Vox were a couple, and rehearsals pretty much always descended into a nasty row. Sometimes bands are like abusive relationships - once you're well out of it, and into something better, you wonder why you put up with all the cr*p for so long.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1351530064' post='1852240']
I have spent the day in London with my other half :)
Still managed a visit to Wunjo bass lol
[/quote]

Pix of the other half and all the basses you bought, please. Trust doesn't come for free, ya know. ;)

best,
bert

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1351549419' post='1852604']
awesome nailed the soul intro to the chicken by jaco, did section rehearsals for LCM big band which i'm really enjoying, bought some pa speakers for a really good price and worked on a trade for a very nice new rig

all told today has been an exceptional day :D
[/quote]

Cool 8)

I love the Chicken, great piece of music. Can't play it myself.... Can play bits, but find it sooooo hard to keep up!

Weird rehearsal last night. Guitar asked me if I ever wrote any of my own stuff, and when I said 'No', he kept going on about it. Up to now we have been doing covers and some of their originals, all of which I have learned dilligently. I told him if [b]he[/b] wanted to write a new song I would come up with a bass line for it, but that didn't seem to satisfy him. He kept saying 'Seriously? You don't write any of your own stuff?'
in the end I said 'Look, you asked me if I wrote any songs and I said No, and you can keep on asking all night and the answer will still be no!'
He is a bit odd at times.

Thing is, when he writes a so called song, all it is is a succession of chords with no melody as such. I actually tried to put a bit of a melody to a thing we were working on last week, but I can't play a melody and a bass line at the same time! So I was either playing one or the other and Vox couldn't seem to learn the melody in order to free me up for the bass line.

Anyway, all this could have a positive result because I'm feeling a bit riled now. So I think I'll go and bloody well write a song over the weekend and come in to rehearsal next week saying 'OK mate, learn this!'. I don't suppose I can come up with anything clever or original but at least it will be something to get him off my case. I hope.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1351578948' post='1852748']
Cool 8)

I love the Chicken, great piece of music. Can't play it myself.... Can play bits, but find it sooooo hard to keep up!
[/quote]

check this page out it helped me when learning it. if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a chord chart of the form which may be helpful

[url="http://www.jazzguitar.be/jaco_pastorius_the_chicken.html"]http://www.jazzguitar.be/jaco_pastorius_the_chicken.html[/url]

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1351627902' post='1853517']

check this page out it helped me when learning it. if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a chord chart of the form which may be helpful

[url="http://www.jazzguitar.be/jaco_pastorius_the_chicken.html"]http://www.jazzguitar.be/jaco_pastorius_the_chicken.html[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352043045' post='1858059']
I have written a song! Provoked by Mr Guitar at last week's rehearsal I have sat down and created something. Although I 'll probably realise tomorrow it is actually some already existing song that I have half remembered.!
[/quote]

Post it on soundcloud and let us have a listen :)

My new Precision was delivered today, tried to adjust the truss rod but noticed the allen key hole was rusty and corroded.
Fair play to Dawson's, they said they've ordered a new one from Fender which should arrive in store next week, and they've let me keep hold of the broken one in the meantime :)

...even though I can't play it because the strings are too high.

I finished putting together my bitsa Precision at the weekend (Mighty Mite Jazz neck, one of the nicest I've played, no-name white pearlescent body, white pickguard, white EMG pickups, chrome hardware), but can't decide whether to take it to rehearsals tonight. I probably won't, as it's intended for my surf band, so it'll wait until a couple of weeks' time. Probably.

today ?

sh*te !

quit one band today and given the continued inability of the members of another band to organise themselves, they may not be graced by my presence for much longer.

frankly i'm pretty darn close to quitting all my musical endeavours, selling all but a couple of instruments and hanging up my band shoes.

EDIT: sorry folks, i was reading this thread when my rant came on.

Edited by ahpook

I had fun on my own :D

Usual practice cancelled, so I stayed home and messed about with a recent acquisition (Aria GB, which I will be selling because I don't get on with the neck - otherwise it's pretty good) and an old mate (Yamaha RBX200 fretless, which I love to bits even though I can't play fretless for toffee). I haven't enjoyed a solo practice/twiddle that much for ages.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1352222880' post='1860398']
I just played back a recording to my youngest daughter.....

Hey dad, who is that, it sounds really good.

Why that's me playing.

It sounded almost professional...... until I realised it was you :(
[/quote]

My daughter is my harshest critic.

Yesterday I played the bare bones of my new song to the Ex and showed him the rough draft of the lyrics. To my amazement he thought it was quite good, and he had a go at putting some guitar chords to it. Also gave me a few ideas about doing it in various time signatures (he's a drummer).
So the next step is, we're going to flesh it out a bit and do a little demo type recording I can play to the rest of the band.
I figured that would be the best way of showing them how it went because if I just played the melody and sang it to them with my extra feeble voice I don't think they would quite get the idea. It would sound a bit pathetic. Whereas if I can play them a recording with the Ex playing guitar and singing it would sound stronger. We'll see.