Why become a member? ×

f***in ghost notes

Pbmwhitehouse

How do you play ghost notes when you play fingerstyle?
I don't want to make it sound too simple or condescending,but it's really just a matter of lifting
off the note slightly with your left hand and hitting the string.
Try fretting a note,(say A on the E string) and play steady crotchets.Then gradually start to lighten the pressure
on the note,but still keep in contact with the string.You should find that the note becomes muted. Then it just
becomes a matter of being able to do it readily and easily.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348521744' post='1814841']
How do you play ghost notes when you play fingerstyle?
I don't want to make it sound too simple or condescending,but it's really just a matter of lifting
off the note slightly with your left hand and hitting the string.
Try fretting a note,(say A on the E string) and play steady crotchets.Then gradually start to lighten the pressure
on the note,but still keep in contact with the string.You should find that the note becomes muted. Then it just
becomes a matter of being able to do it readily and easily.
[/quote]

But he's slapping isn't he? Not playing finger style.

Don't think, FEEEEEEEEELLLL. I tried getting ghost notes when I was learning to slap and I consciously put a lot of unnecessary effort into it. Then one day I just relaxed and had fun with it and hey presto - I got a ghost note. I then 'backwards engineered' what I had done and realised that the effort that I had been investing to develop a new technique had been causing me to tense the muscles in my wrists and hands. The minute I stopped trying everything just fell into place.

Weird.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1348523776' post='1814894']
Don't think, FEEEEEEEEELLLL. I tried getting ghost notes when I was learning to slap and I consciously put a lot of unnecessary effort into it. Then one day I just relaxed and had fun with it and hey presto - I got a ghost note. I then 'backwards engineered' what I had done and realised that the effort that I had been investing to develop a new technique had been causing me to tense the muscles in my wrists and hands. [b]The minute I stopped trying everything just fell into place.[/b]

Weird.
[/quote]

That's the way it works innit. I had exactly the same thing with slap. I don't really play slap much, but my mate showed me and he does that double thumb hit thing which I can't do, but I do a four note thing with a ghost that he can't do. It just happens doesn't it :)

I struggled a lot with it at first as well. It was just a matter of practicing really slowly until I had it down. Then it all comes naturally with feel. Also MaroloweDK on youtube had some nice videos to practice - he uses his slap like a metronome a lot of the time so he adds in plenty ghost notes (certainly helped me).

Also once you have certain techniques down you can add them together really simply, so you only really need to learn once. For example the Mark King left hand slap mutes and some of the triplet variations can be added to other lines a lot of the time.

PS. What line are you currently working on?

Edited by ScreencastTutor

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1348524897' post='1814906']
OK, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. What's a ghost note?
[/quote]

They're sometimes called 'dead notes' too; it's the percussive, non-pitched noise that you get when you either pluck or slap a note that isn't fully fingered (also called left hand muting). Try resting all four fingers on your fretting hand on the strings and then pluck a string, it'll give a non-pitched sound that hasn't got any sustain to it - that's a dead note.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1348525323' post='1814915']
They're sometimes called 'dead notes' too; it's the percussive, non-pitched noise that you get when you either pluck or slap a note that isn't fully fingered (also called left hand muting). Try resting all four fingers on your fretting hand on the strings and then pluck a string, it'll give a non-pitched sound that hasn't got any sustain to it - that's a dead note.
[/quote]

I actually started with slap bass. Now whenever I play fingerstyle I always do the left hand mute. Whereas I see pretty much everyone else just place their right fingers onto the string.

Edited by ScreencastTutor

mmm....I could be really condescending here and say it's all about first, third and little finger left hand technique....(how many of us play ghost notes with the second finger of the left hand - assuming you are right handed of course) - however, it is horses for courses and experimentation is good... for instance, I actually play ghost notes with my right hand with the little, fourth and third finger tapping on the fretboard in sequence to create a triplet, add in the thumb (right hand) and third finger again (left hand) I get five 'taps'..f**k I must have been bored that night....

Bottom line is don't be afraid to just try stuff....heck, we haven't even talked about plectrum and finger style combined to play ghost notes, include the thumb and we can start talking about James Jamerson and Brian Wilson.....sh+t, I'm even boring myself now.....

I woke up in the middle of the night to hear an interview on the World Service with Larry Graham. He was saying how he just wanted to be a drum kit. He was asked by the interviewer what he thought of all the bassists he's influenced since, like Mark King, Flea, Marcus Miller .. he said it feels gratifying hearing all his bass children :lol: Sorry, bit off topic. What is it with the BBC and bassists at the moment?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1348524897' post='1814906']
OK, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. What's a ghost note?
[/quote]

when I played in an "originals" band we recorded a demo and after I had finished my part the guy recording us asked me if I meant to play "all those ghost notes?"....I had no idea what he meant so I said "yes"....everything was left as was and that was that......
I still have no idea what they are (even after reading this thread :ph34r: ).....I don't (read CAN'T) play slap and play fingerstyle rock type stuff.....
some times ignorance really is bliss :D

I find that like anything a s a beginner if I ever put too much thought in to it, that killed it. Like Doddy said at the beginning, if I were you I'd just play quarter notes then start to try to put ghost notes every other note. just try doing that for a good while to a metronome.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1348525551' post='1814920']
Oh, I get it. Just a normal damped note but with a new name. Thanks.
[/quote]

No, that's not right. If you damp a note it will still have pitch, you're just altering its envelope.
Ghost notes don't have pitch. They're more of an atonal thump or click used to add rhythmic structure & variety/interest.

[quote name='Pbmwhitehouse' timestamp='1348520543' post='1814809']
I play finger style bass and have been learning slap bass and I'm having a nightmare getting the ghost mute notes sorted it so hard any tips guys and girls
Regard
[/quote]
you wouldnt be using them tony levin funky finger attachments by any chance?? ;) :gas: