Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Bass?

ThePilot

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am new to this forum but not new to playing bass.. I have played for many years at different levels with the many bands that I have been in. (The Wallbirds, The Pilots)
I currently play a re-issue of a Burns Bison bass.
I am looking at the obvious choices of Fender and either a precision or a jazz.. But Should I splash out on an MIA or the alternative cheaper options of a MIM or MIJ?

I know it's all down to personal preference and feel. But i would like to know what other people think??

Cheers

Luke

[url="http://www.the-pilots.co.uk"]www.the-pilots.co.uk[/url]

Get a non-export Fender Japan. They are sublime. Try very many MIMs, you may find an nice one, apparently the roadworns are good.

The current MIAs are very good, but I don't know if they are worth the money.

Keep your eye on this website [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedbasses.htm[/url] John gets some lovely S/H Japan Fenders in and they are almost always non-export, and priced very fairly. Expect to pay around £650-£750. I had a superb Jazz off him and so have a good few other BC members.

As you say - personal preference, but once you've decided i'd go to the basses for sale section on this very forum. Some superb instruments at realistic prices from knowledgable and dedicated people who share the common interest. Personally i'd be looking for a MIA standard P or J. A 2010 model on would be a good option due to the upgrades/quality control improvements that were introduced then but like I say, it is personal preference. One of the deluxe models (if you like active basses) would also be an option for you to consider. I have a 2009 deluxe jazz and it is superb and very underestimated bass. As such, second-hand prices on these make them something of a bargain

Hi Luke and welcome to the forum. This topic has been brought up many times on the site and it may be worth your while cruising around the archives using the 'search' function to pick up on old threads. You will get many and varies responses I assure you. I once had a reissue Bison and I have to say it was the bass that stayed in my collection the shortest. Never got on ewith it at all. I'm not the tallest person in the world and the headstock end always seemed miles away from a comfy playing position for me. As for fenders it's a whole can of worms. I have 2 US Fenders from 2003 and I think they are well made and good quality instruments. However I bought them 2nd hand way under what their new price would be. I really don't think I'd pay out the current rate for a brand new Fender from US.

Hey,

Thanks for you're responses so far.
I enjoy playing the bison andsounds great for live perfomances with the head because I have got a nice warm sound out of it and it also looks great but sometimes sounds decent in the studio, but not always.
My brother has a J MIM and its alright.. Wasnt blown over by it. Obviously I have played many basses as many of you have. I was wondering also if it was worth buying Mex or Jap (and then upgrading if thats the word) with new pick ups bridge etc.. Whilst on tour many years ago, I had a P bass MIA.. I thought it was fantastic.. So I am hopefully going to looking their.
I know the j has a thiner neck than the precision, again, im off to play a few and my local music shop which stocks fenders so I guess I will see?

Please keep the feedback coming..

Fender, probably more than any other manufacturer, are known for the inconsistency of their quality control. A £200 Squier can play as well as (or better than) a MIA costing ten times as much. Which is great if you own that Squier - less good if yours is the MIA!

That is why it is so important to play lots before you buy - and buy the one you played and liked.

Having said all that, I would go with what several others have said and look for a Japanese one - export or non-export.

I wouldn't worry too much where they're made, all Fenders are highly variable and should never be bought without trying them first.

If you can find somewhere with loads so you directly can compare them and play as many as you can to get a feel for what you like, you'll find something that grabs you sooner or later.

In my experience:

Pre CBS- generally really good to astonishing, but a few lemons
CBS - range from being absolute junk to really really good, highly variable
80s - OK but somehow not that exciting
Japanese - generally very good, occasionally excellent - often benefit if you fit better pickups
MIM - some diabolical ones out there, some truly excellent, and everything in between :blink:
MIA - always found them a bit lacklustre although I've a feeling they seem to have got better in last few years

Plenty of Fender alternatives too, if it's Fender shaped and you like the look of it have a go!

You'll probably find some good deals here on Basschat.

Good luck!

Just thought I'd mention that I got both my US Fenders (see pic below) untried via eBay though I [i]did [/i]pick both up in person I was not really in a position to play them through any gear, just a cursory look over. Hence I wouldn't really say I genuinely 'tried before I bought' and I was pretty much committed to it as an eBay transaction anyway. However they both played extremely well from the off and have had minimal tweaking from a luthier since. Other players that have tried them at jams etc seem to think they play well also. All mass manufacturers are going to have some QC issues and Fender are probably no worse than most given the huge number of instruments they churn out. For MIA as the OP's preference then yes I'd say buy second hand but preferably from somewhere you can give it the once over first.
[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/IMG_0938.jpg[/IMG]

As usual, G&L basses always get overlooked in threads like these.

You should check out either the USA or Tribute G&L SB2 ( G&L's answer to the Fender precision) or JB2. The tribs are made in Indonesia to USA specs. They have the same PUPS and electronics as their USA cousins. IMO a Trib SB2 beats any MIM Fender precision, hands down. The SB2 has a jazz width neck. Here are some links :

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2/index.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/JB-2/index.asp[/url]

Another G&L worth considering is the L2000. One of the most versatile sounding basses out there.

Can only speak from my very limited experience, but play as many as you can and buy the one that speaks to you. I was in a shop recently, tried all their fenders and the one I fell in love with (but couldn't buy) was a secondhand highway one jazz. Tried MIA's at twice the price through the same set-up that sounded weak by comparison, and felt lifeless. If you can go and play enough basses one will out-shine the others even if it ends up being a cheaper model.

I tried a lot of Fenders before getting the couple that i use. They vary tremendously in build quality. There are better Fenders than Fender if you know what i mean.

For a Jazz Bass you could try and score a Hamer Cruise bass. G & L do a lovely P Bass. Old Yamaha BB1100s are amazing if you can find one.

I`ve had many different Fenders, so my thoughts are as below:

MIMs - can be good, can be very good, luck out on one, you`ll be happy, but there is a lot of different quality ones out there.
Classic Range (50s Precision, 60s & 70s Jazz) - very good, great build quality, sound and play great.
MIJ - very good, great necks on these, if any downside found the electrics/pickups to be slightly less full sounding, but easily upgradeable.
Road Worn - not had one, but tried one out, not keen on the looks, but they play and sound really good, prob one of the best basses I`ve ever played, the finish seems to let the bass resonate and "breathe" so the sound is very good on these.
US - very good, all round great basses, my personal faves.

Edited by Lozz196

Cool, Thats great.. I played a 50's re-issue last night j bass in my local shop.. Thought it was a little steap for the price £876 or something like that. The feel was good. But however didnt jump out at me.. Great colour too, it was the fiesta red..

Can i ask, what are the differences between the standard and special MIA??

Well from the write-up I can`t really see much difference, apart from the current MIA has Custom Shop pickups, and the Special has the Greasebucket Tone control - reduces highs with still keeping the lows. However, seeing as new, the difference in price is some £500 - £600, I would assume differences in quality on woods/electrics.

Not saying this because I have a Precision up for sale on here, but going 2nd hand you`ll get a much better bass than for the same money new.