Why become a member? ×

The Producer's: Trevor Horn "Two Tribes" bassline

iconic

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1346962090' post='1795482']
Agree about the tone he's getting there -like that.

I thought Norman Watt Roy played on some of the FGTH stuff or is my memory making that up?
[/quote]

I seem to remember a mag article that stated Norm & the other session guys were jamming in the studio and 2 Tribes came from that.

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1346962090' post='1795482']
Agree about the tone he's getting there -like that.

I thought Norman Watt Roy played on some of the FGTH stuff or is my memory making that up?
[/quote]
Not at all, he did play on Relax. I think most of the Blockheads played on that one, that band certainly did the rounds for people, especially when they were signed to Stiff records.

Dan

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1346966202' post='1795564']
I seem to remember a mag article that stated Norm & the other session guys were jamming in the studio and 2 Tribes came from that.
[/quote]

Complete bollocks. Two Tribes existed as a song long before FGTH were involved with Trevor Horn and ZTT.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1346966251' post='1795565']
Not at all, he did play on Relax. I think most of the Blockheads played on that one, that band certainly did the rounds for people, especially when they were signed to Stiff records.
[/quote]

There certainly was a version recorded with some of the Blockheads playing on it. How much of that ended up on the actual release probably only Trevor Horn and whoever did the Fairlight programming of Relax knows. The article I remember said that while the Blockheads were more accomplished musicians than Frankie, their version still didn't have the feel that Trevor Horn was after.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346968082' post='1795598']
Complete bollocks. Two Tribes existed as a song long before FGTH were involved with Trevor Horn and ZTT.

There certainly was a version recorded with some of the Blockheads playing on it. How much of that ended up on the actual release probably only Trevor Horn and whoever did the Fairlight programming of Relax knows. The article I remember said that while the Blockheads were more accomplished musicians than Frankie, their version still didn't have the feel that Trevor Horn was after.
[/quote]

Very much this ^

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346968082' post='1795598']
[/quote]

The funny story went (I think) that Norman Watt Roy got called in one day by Horn, who got Norman to have a mess around sampling some stuff whilst Trevor sampled it on his new Fairlight, just having a laugh. Apparently the next time Norman heard his bass it was all over FGTH's stuff. Don't know how true it is of course, but with it being Trevor Horn I wouldn't be very surprised! Incredible producer.

Edited by risingson

I recall reading an article about the bass-session with Norman Watt-Roy who was invited to play all kinds of fancy stuff on Relax..
He was very surprised when he heard the final result with just that one note and even that was send through a Fairlight.
I remember having an extended single-version of Relax with some great slap lines which you couldn't find on the single-version.
Perhaps those were left-overs from the original version ?