Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346839735' post='1793798']
I don't think anyone is suggesting force feeding any art form to people.
[/quote]

Well, there has been plenty of general comment about bands playing for free spoiling things for those trying to earn a living from gigging, which is a sort of 'command and control' sentiment.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346839735' post='1793798']
All we suggest is that leaving things to market forces seems to result in everyone looking to the common denominator and everything getting blander and blander (like cable/satelite TV - 800+ channels of fluff rather than infinite variation).
[/quote]

I agree, but it's the lesser of two (or more) evils isn't it? Dumbing down (which is actually rather disrespectful for the masses who actually like such things - who amongst us has the right to decide what's worthy or not?) might affect the mass media but there'll always be some basement jazz club somewhere to cater for the minority. ;)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1346837680' post='1793766']
Besides - something I'd impress on young bands in particular - Playing other people's music is a good way to see if your skills are developing enough to be able to recreate your original ideas with a degree of competence. You can't bend or push the rules unless you know them first.
[/quote]

Good advice that,

Things change, kids dont always realise that most of these big names with all their 'artistic integrity' will have started out playing covers in workie clubs, and before those days, in dance halls.. They didnt just wake up one day and start to write great stuff.

Gone are the days of dance halls and workie gigs, 3 gigs a night etc. Todays covers bands and trib bands are just whats replaced it thats all.

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1346842021' post='1793842']
What's the difference between a tribute band and another production of Macbeth ?
[/quote]

" life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

William Shakespeare, Macbeth

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1346840752' post='1793815']
Somebody, anybody, please close this thread, it is beyond boring.
[/quote]
nobody is forcing you to read it, just like nobody is forcing anybody to go and see a tribute band or an originals band, lets just be thankful that we have the choice to do what we want.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1346841463' post='1793832']

Things change, kids dont always realise that most of these big names with all their 'artistic integrity' will have started out playing covers in workie clubs, and before those days, in dance halls.. They didnt just wake up one day and start to write great stuff.

[/quote]

Very true.Fortunately they didn't concentrate on being in those bands just so they could play and get paid..

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1346844372' post='1793879']
Very true.Fortunately they didn't concentrate on being in those bands just so they could play and get paid..
[/quote]

So they all knew they were doing it to learn their craft, thinking of their future and all had a plan ?
Doubt it, they were young, most were just having a good time and hoping for the best. It was much better than working in a factory, there were loads of bands, and loads of gigs, back then you could make a living out of club gigs.

Not a Beatles fan myself, but remember their first album was all covers from their set, and they never expected success to last more than a year or two.

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346833363' post='1793675']
I'm going to write a tribute novel....

'In a hole in the ground there lived a Boggit. Not a rotton, muddy, wet hole full of the ends of caterpillars and a mouldy smell, nor yet a arid, empty, dusty hole with nothing in it to lie down on or to drink: This was a Boggit hole and that means luxury. It had a square door like a cupboard, painted yellow, with a shiny, green copper knob on the side. THe door opened onto a wide, long hallway with half-panelled walls and floorboards provided with sturdy chairs and one peg for the Boggit's hat and coat - the Boggit hated visitors'.
[/quote]

So far yours is no worse than the steaming turd that was the original. :)

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1346841463' post='1793832']

Gone are the days of dance halls and workie gigs, 3 gigs a night etc. Todays covers bands and trib bands are just whats replaced it thats all.
[/quote]
[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1346846990' post='1793932']
So they all knew they were doing it to learn their craft, thinking of their future and all had a plan ?
Doubt it, they were young, most were just having a good time and hoping for the best. It was much better than working in a factory, there were loads of bands, and loads of gigs, back then you could make a living out of club gigs.

Not a Beatles fan myself, but remember their first album was all covers from their set, and they never expected success to last more than a year or two.
[/quote]

But you are talking about a situation that is 50+ years old. Today if you are an originals band you don't even have to step on a stage if you don't want to. Recordings can be made in a bedroom that are better quality than the best studios were not that long ago & you don't have to hawk your wares around the closed shop that was the record labels & distributors. The use of "social media" sites means you can build up a fanbase before playing live.
The main difference seems to be (and this is very much a generalisation) that people who play in covers/tribute bands are the ones that want to go out & "entertain" people, whereas with people who want to play/write original stuff the music & how they themselves feel about it is the driving force, and are genuinely happier playing their own material to an empty room than to be playing other peoples songs to a bigger audience.

And ne'er, it would appear, the twain shall meet. :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1346848763' post='1793970']
Some posters here seem to be confusing the whole "Covers Band" "Tribute Band" thing.
[/quote]
Think we've already opened that can of worms, a very grey area, just to confuse things even more the band I'm in do mostly punky covers but probably do one of our own tunes about every 3rd song, don't know how you would classify that, but it gets us gigs in pubs we wouldn't normally get one.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1346848763' post='1793970']
Some posters here seem to be confusing the whole "Covers Band" "Tribute Band" thing.
[/quote]

Indeed.Considering the first post was a Michael Jackson IMPERSONATOR then my spleen is being vented at Tribute acts,which I consider to be acts/bands IMPERSONATING other acts.Covers bands and function bands are a totally different thing.Want to play AC/DC/Kiss/Jacko/whoever tunes? Go for it.Just don't dress up like them to do it.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1346706023' post='1792287']
probably get slagged off for saying this, but, I would rather go and see a good tribute playing in the local pub, free admission decent beer nice and dry, than pay £100 to stand in a wet cold field or a massive arena with crap sound , with about 50000 other people watching the original thing from about half a mile back. I agree with a couple of posts on here, the secret is not to take youself to serously, saw a stones tribute once and 'Brian Jones' came on wearing angels wings, brilliant
[/quote]

Definitely.
I used to be a huge Bon Jovi fan back in the late 80'-90s. Ive seen them maybe 5-6 times in the Arena's. Each time there seemed to be less and less effort put in, and the main part of the set was more to promote the new album.
Last time i saw them was Hyde park a good few years ago. They wore t-shirts and jeans, hardly moved around and played most of the current new album (that was no more than soft country/Ballard stuff IIR).

Two weeks later i saw a band called By Jovi. They played all the hits, looked like the band at the height of their popularity and it cost £5 to get in.
Same thing with the Stones. Sod paying £100 just to see them spend most of the night jamming (and with more backing musicians than are in the actual band). Ive seen the Counterfeit Stones many times and always thought they put on a better show, and at a fraction of the cost.

So yes, IMO Tribute acts, even if the real act are still going, have a place and as long as they do it well and entertain i dont see the problem.

Am I the only one whos noticed that impersonator usually gets applied to elvis, otherwise its just a xxxx tribute. I wonder why that is.

To me a tribute band plays the stuff, while a tribute act dresses up and parodies. Pesonally, I'd feel a prat dressing up as somebody else to play pubs, maybe I'd feel different on a big enough stage or in a theatre. Then it would be more like acting, or in my case, panto.

Edited by BRANCINI