Why become a member? ×

Short-Scale recommendations?

MattB

Hi

Due to a wrist injury I need to reduce the stress on my left hand so have juggled strap heights and experimented with different playing positions, and am now looking at short-scale basses. I've been playing an Ibanex Ergodyne 24 fret, thin necked bass for years, so really looking for recommendations from anyone with experience of short-scale guitars.
I tried out a fender Jaguar but it had such a fat, deep neck radius it didn't feel too comfortable as I'm used to a thinner neck.

Anyone with experience could maybe suggest some short-arse basses to consider?
:)

many thanks as always

Matt

Not much experience here, but you could always try the custom route?...
Quite a few manufacturers make custom shorties these days.
There's always this too >> https://www.acguitars.co.uk/Available/8/

Another option might be to find an off the shelf shorty and have a someone either build a slim neck for you or shave down the stock one?

Good luck and I hope the wrist injury isn't too bad :)

Eude

My first bass was a Gibson EB3, neck profiles can vary with age & the tone of the big mudbucker neck pickup is a Marmite thing. The Epiphone EB0 goes for peanuts at most shops leaving enough change to do a pickup change if that's what you want.
They also do a reissue of a 60's profile white one which Dawsons were doing cheap last I saw.

[quote name='MattB' timestamp='1346336314' post='1788003']

I tried out a fender Jaguar but it had such a fat, deep neck radius it didn't feel too comfortable as I'm used to a thinner neck.

[/quote]

Wow, I thought the Jag bass had a Jazz-style neck - a lot of people treat that as the definition of a thin neck. I was going to suggest the Squier SS Jag, but if you found that neck too bulky (presumably the Squier neck is fairly similar to the Fender) I'm not sure what to suggest.

I've been suffering from arthritis in my thumbs for a few years now, and I tried the short-scale route too, but I just could not get on with the sound characteristics that short-scale basses tend to have.

I then tried a Ibanez SR500 and found it perfect, it feels more like playing a guitar, extremely light, balances perfect which makes the reach much shorter than most basses, and has just about the [i]thinnest/slimmest[/i] neck on the planet.

I've now upgraded to a Ibanez SR1200 Premium, which plays and feels the same, but has higher specs than the SR500.

I strongly recommend that you try a Ibanez SR500 (around £250 S/H), as I think you will be surprised just how easily they play, and they sound great too!

Good luck in finding a solution.

Short scale alone may or may not help your wrist. Having the same problem some years ago, I solved it for myself by having a custom fanned fret bass made for myself. The description and pix are here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174777-and-now-for-something-completely-different-in-a-pj/page__p__1632811__hl__fanned__fromsearch__1#entry1632811"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174777-and-now-for-something-completely-different-in-a-pj/page__p__1632811__hl__fanned__fromsearch__1#entry1632811[/url]

I recently purchased a Mikey Way Squier Mustang for my daughter. I'd played and really liked the sunburst Squier VM Mustang with the original style split pickup. Have to say both were/are really good basses. Easy to play with short scale anf good build qulaity. The MW has a humbucker, which although doesn't look quite right in a Mustang to my eyes, is pretty versatile. I don't think you would go wrong with either of these.

Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet. Less than 200 squids. Brilliant tone, brilliant to play, brilliant to look at. I cant say enough nice things (for the money they charge), and I have owned a few short scales a LOT more expensive. Have a look, you wont be disappointed.

Bob

[quote name='MattB' timestamp='1346506179' post='1790020']
Hey Bobpalt - do you know what the neck radius is on that? I can't seem to find it online as a spec. Cheers
[/quote]

I dont sorry, and I cant find it on line either! Its a really comfy neck though, and only Friday a pro musician friend played it and was blown away, commenting on how nice the neck was. I really cant fault it for what it cost, and whilst I have owned a "real" Thunderjet bass (which was awful), this is the opposite. If you are ever down Gloucestershire way, you would be welcome to try it.
Cheers,
Bob