Why become a member? ×

Korean vs German Warwick

Bo0tsy

Hi, all you Warwick owners. I've been giving some serious consideration to purchasing a first Warwick bass, but, wanted a few opinions on what differences there are between the Korean Pro & Artist Series and the German made Warwick's (other than lots more money!).

Would appreciate some honest opinions, is there a noticeable difference in sound and/or build quality, is it worth spending that much more on a german made bass?

Have never tried German or Korean models. My two are Chinese made, the quality is staggeringly good, every bit as good as my USA basses (or any I have owned). They were also incredible bargains s/h. I would not hesitate to own another Chinese built one.

You will not pay more for a German made model, you can pick up mint condition Warwicks for little more than £500.
I know from experience as I sold two Corvettes recently, one a 2010 natural ash for £550, and a 2007 bubinga for £500, both in showroom condition.

The second-hand market is the route to take IMO.

Hard to tell Bootsy.

I've been a fan of Warwick basses for as long as I can recall. The German made basses are extremely well built, solid, made of choice woods, beautifully finished and preform perfectly in the bassists arena.

I've never tried a Korean one and can only guess from experience that the basses will indeed look the same and to the novice sound more or less the same but they definitely won't feel and growl like the real thing ( that X factor they have ). I think it's great to have accessible, cool basses that imitate their more professional inspiration. The Koreans will be great, but maybe not so great when A/B tested with the real thing.

Just my thought

Go For a second hand Germany made model is what I'd do.

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1346228201' post='1786626']
You will not pay more for a German made model, you can pick up mint condition Warwicks for little more than £500.
I know from experience as I sold two Corvettes recently, one a 2010 natural ash for £550, and a 2007 bubinga for £500, both in showroom condition.

The second-hand market is the route to take IMO.
[/quote]

Bo0sty, do this.

I had a good look at some of the Pro series Corvettes close-up when they came out. Woods, electronics etc look to be the same, there was a slightly different lamination pattern for the neck, but otherwise they looked identical. The only hints that they weren't original German models were that the pickup routs were nowhere near the size and shape of the pickups and looked as if they'd been done in a hurry - still a few chips of wood sticking out of one corner. That's being very picky though, and may have been restricted to the first run as "proper" Korean-made basses usually have excellent fit and finish. As has been mentioned above, you can pick up a used German original for the same price or less so why not go used? Even better, find a late '90's wedge-necked model. Same price, lots of character and growl.

I had a German Dolphin 4 string and a Korean Corvette Rockbass 5 string - both excellent instruments, both with exceptional build quality..Had I given them to somebody else and asked which was built where I doubt anybody could have told the difference other than the "Rockbass" logo on the 5er.

I think that it may be difficult to justify the "new" price for a German Warwick especially when you look at what else you get for your money - more expensive than Wals/Overwaters/ GBs/ Status but they don't hold their prices as well as those named..You do get a lot of bass for your money though - especially if you buy second hand...

I've never owned a Warwick, sadly, but I do still have have a mint 20 year old Korean Fender Dg41s dreadnought and would highly recommend it
It is as good as any American Fender instrument I have owned or tried and would hold its
own In every way the with lower priced Martin acoustics
Don't mistake Korean made guitars for poorer relatives, in my experience this is just not the case
I would say try each one you come across on it's own merits but keep an eye out for the German ones which seem to represent a second hand bargain

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1346260775' post='1787188']
I had a German Dolphin 4 string and a Korean Corvette Rockbass 5 string - both excellent instruments, both with exceptional build quality..Had I given them to somebody else and asked which was built where I doubt anybody could have told the difference other than the "Rockbass" logo on the 5er.

I think that it may be difficult to justify the "new" price for a German Warwick especially when you look at what else you get for your money - more expensive than Wals/Overwaters/ GBs/ Status but they don't hold their prices as well as those named..You do get a lot of bass for your money though - especially if you buy second hand...
[/quote]

The Rockbass line is made in China. The Pro-Series is made in Korea. The Rockbass' that don't have the 'W' on the headstock are the older version, prior to the current revised models. Hope this helps...please let me know if you've got any questions or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

I got a 2nd hand corvette standard (2006.German made) off the bay about 6 months ago for £350 and the bloke brought it to my house!!!! Best bass I ever owned in 20+ years of playing,search out a good used one. Did try a new Chinese one in bass merchant (RIP), which was still a very good instrument for the money,but had a maple neck rather than the dark wood. The German one does feel a bit more "substantial" if that makes sense,not heavier though.

I too paid £350 for my German Corvette, a trans black $$. It was battered and bruised, and dirty, but after some TLC it's a belter, and my youngest daughter will disown me if I ever sell it. In fact I'm thinking over moving the Stingray on to get another Warwick.

Buy second hand. Every time.

I paid top doller for my new German made Thumb 4 B.O. - it's absolutely perfect (and I'm a real stickler for quality)... everything about it screams quality, and the smell (ok, now I'm probably sounding freakish!) :gas:

If it wasn't for the fact that it's played, or gigged, every day, it'd be hanging on the wall and I'd invite people to stroke it :)

I love warwick stuff , and while I grabbed a bargain on a fretless streamer a while back , you do have to be looking for the deal , they are not everywhere , I have a Korean Spector and is my bass of first go to . the margins of manufacture are very very slim nowadays and my ear / palette is not refined enough to tell , and my touchy feely bit doesn't see the label

Thanks for all the advice guys. At the moment I really like the look of the German Warwick Corvette $$ basses and seems the only way to go with these is second hand as they are so pricey new and from what everyone is saying above they don't appear to hold their value well. Some of the doublebuck special editions are absolutely stunning basses though.

Will continue to take a close look on the bay and on the for sale forum here.