Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street.

allighatt0r

I went to London on Monday, after looking forward to it for months, and really enjoyed myself, I got the tube from Epping and went straight to Charing Cross Rd, with one goal in mind for the morning: Denmark Street.

I was with my brother (aka: Rodders) and we decided to start at the top and work our way back towards Borders, starting at the shop opposite the 12 Bar Club (i forget the name, it could have been Regent guitars. :) ) where we tried a couple of Italia basses, a Modulo (precision with a twist) and a Maranello (Les Paul with a twist).

The modulo was definitely my favourite bass of the two. It sounded really good nice, with the tone rolled off it was strong and warm, and with the tone full on it was punchy and bassy. My only dislike was the strange gold string that ran round the edge, it looked ok, but was odd and uncomfortable when i felt it against my wrist or arm or leg....

After that we wandered into a couple of other shops, only to walk to the bottom of the shop, find around five very un-interesting basses and walk out again. So we crossed the road to the Bass Cellar.

We walked in, half expecting to be greeted with a hello like the other shops all had, and we were treated as if we weren't even there. We wandered round and saw two Rockinbetters and some nice basses worthy of time spent playing them and possible money spent buying them, but the hostile vibe coming from the owners meant neither me or my brother wanted to even ask if we could try something out. We were unimpressed. Biggest collection of basses in a shop? Smallest collection of w**kers.

So we walked a couple of shops down to Wunjo Guitars. By far the best shop in the street, we weren't in the store two minutes and the friendly scottish guy came up to us and said "hey guys, anything you want just grab it and plug it in! enjoy yourselves!" so we stayed there a fair while and i got my first try on a Gibson Grabber. I loved it. :huh:

My brother desperately wanted to visit Vintage & Rare guitars, so we went to the back of there and played the most expensive basses either of us have had the pleasure of holding. The owner came over and talked to us, quite impressed by my brothers style (he surpasses me in technique by miles) and was subtley and very in-directly asking if we were actually going to by something (so subtley that my brother didn't have a clue...) but when he realised we weren't, he was still happy to let us try whatever we wanted. I loved the Gibson EB-0 in there. There was no sign of the expected mud. My brother wasn't impressed that i wanted to run it through a bit of distortion though.

We had a great time, and I really can't wait for my next visit to the Capital. Just a shame about the Bass Cellar. Anyone else had better experiences in there?

Sorry for going on for so long, I really have written an essay. ;)

Bass Cellar are legendary for their rudeness and lack of interest. It's almost as if they're proud of it. The only solution is to go in there and be as obnoxious as possible. Ask them to get down the hardest-to-reach instrument in the place, plug it in to the most expensive amp, play really really badly and loud, then ask them how much the bass is and wet yourself laughing when they tell you. Then leave.

The guy who owns Wunjo is Brian, and he's absolutely the opposite end of the spectrum.

As a very general piece of unasked-for advice, I wouldn't even consider buying anything in Denmark Street and I work 50 yards from it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='188837' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:22 PM']As a very general piece of unasked-for advice, I wouldn't even consider buying anything in Denmark Street and I work 50 yards from it.[/quote]
As someone In The Know, the whole place is likely to get levelled in the next 15 years anyway if the current land owner gets their (somewhat optimistic) asking price.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='188879' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:08 PM']As someone In The Know, the whole place is likely to get levelled in the next 15 years anyway if the current land owner gets their (somewhat optimistic) asking price.[/quote]

Makes sense given the location. Maybe a useful bargaining tool if you buy anything from there in future.

Crossrail is going to bring a whole load of change to the area which is not only underdeveloped but also dysfunctional (anyone discovering by accident the lack of a pavement around the fountains will already know this for themselves). One my last projects at my job-before-last was looking into how to redevelop the whole St Giles/TCR area given the impacts of Crossrail.

The only positive thing about that area is that Denmark Street is one of the few central London locations that still has its original building facades intact and unmodified. St Giles Church is quite nice too, apart from the clustering of out buildings.

They treat everyone like a twat, so I just treat them like a bunch of twats too. I try whatever I want when I'm in the area and want to kill some time - and I never buy anything. The situation was different when Simone worked there but it looks like she left a year or so ago.

EDIT: The guys in Vintage & Rare and Wunjo are awesome. Music Ground is ok if a little expensive. Some interesting stock - especially when it comes to pedals. Hank's has a useful stock of acoustics too.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='Clarky' post='188890' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:22 PM']... and the 12 Bar Club in Denmark St (where my band playedon Saturday) is cool :)[/quote]

Hey - I was there on Saturday - my mate was playing guitar in the Rockabilly band, I just caught the end of your set I think.

Nice one.

I was the cool one :)

Your mate's rockabilly band (The Jumpstarters) were wicked - and I don't normally like rockabilly! Bass player v cool and prompted me to go and buy a set of nylon strings for my gathering-dust-never-used double bass!

Sorry if this is a bit off-track ... over to the Denmark St bashers!

Just in case there's any doubt, please note that most of the shops in Denmark Street are actually one shop - Music Ground (based in Leeds).

Regent Sounds, Bass Cellar, Drum Cellar, Hank's Acoustics, Rockers, etc. etc. are ALL just 'departments' of the same shop so any attempt to play each of them off against the others on price is a complete waste of time.

Rose Morris (I think) are independent, as are Vintage & Rare, Wunjo's, and Chris Bryant Guitars.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='188879' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:08 PM']As someone In The Know, the whole place is likely to get levelled in the next 15 years anyway if the current land owner gets their (somewhat optimistic) asking price.[/quote]

Sooner than you think.

The north side of Denmark Street (most of it, anyway) could be gone within two years, as will The Astoria which will probably close - again - at Xmas this year.

But I didn't tell you that.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='189084' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:13 PM']....and it doesn't actually lead to Denmark.[/quote]

Y'know Beefy, I've often thought that you bear a striking resemblance to Brian, who runs Wunjo.

Are you guys related?

I think we should be told ...

Here we go again with one of my favourite subjects... :)

I'll never cease to be amazed by how much contempt the (B)Ass Cellar seems to show to their potential patrons. Astounding how unrepresentative of the bass playing world that shop is.

I've experienced friendliness and enthusiasm in Wunjo, but they don't have a particularly big range of basses and I've never really found anything in there to take my fancy.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='189082' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:13 PM']Sooner than you think.

The north side of Denmark Street (most of it, anyway) could be gone within two years, as will The Astoria which will probably close - again - at Xmas this year.[/quote]

Its been a matter of [url="http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storyCode=3078569"]public record[/url] for quite some time. Although the writer of that article has confused Denmark Place with Denmark Street.

I was approached, in a professional capacity, in the middle of last year to comment on the development proposals by Derwent Valley and Crossrail (the developers for the Astoria site) as I'd already been project managing the design of the area immediately in front of Centre Point. Demolition work on Tottenham Court Road station starts in December this year IIRC. The whole of Charing Cross Road in front of the Centre Point Tower is eventually being dug up for the Tottenham Court Road station improvements as well because its the only way they'll get new escalators down there.

There's a report on the proposed works to Tottenham Court Road station on the back of Crossrail [url="http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk/files/Home/Home3/01.Environmental%20Statement/Volume_08b/0007_R_C5TottenhamCourtRd.pdf"]here[/url].

The Astoria is probably going to be demolished to make way for the Crossrail station but that doesn't mean the area will lose a venue.

[url="http://prosoundnewseurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=551&Itemid=26"]http://prosoundnewseurope.com/index.php?op...1&Itemid=26[/url]
[url="http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entrtainment/music/article3549396.ece"]http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle3549396.ece[/url]

It depends on how planning negotiations with Westminster go because an alternative venue has been discussed on the St Martins Central School of Art owned site almost next door. St Martins Central School of Art are selling up all their holdings and moving lock stock to a single campus at Kings Cross behind the revamped station.

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art-and-architecture/features/central-st-martins-the-art-college-that-is-redrawing-its-future-791848.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...ure-791848.html[/url]

I think the part of that block north of Denmark Place is probably going to be redeveloped on the back of Crossrail, but who does the developing depends on whether the site gets sold or not. I think the current owner/developer (Consolidated Developments) was asking for something like £25 million which even the owners of Centre Point told me they'd baulked at.

If you know for sure that the whole block is being developed then it sounds like the decision has been made by Consolidated in the last few months perhaps.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='189080' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:11 PM']Regent Sounds, Bass Cellar, Drum Cellar, Hank's Acoustics, Rockers, etc. etc. are ALL just 'departments' of the same shop so any attempt to play each of them off against the others on price is a complete waste of time.[/quote]

It's surprising that Hanks are part of that setup. They have real guitars and seem to be run by real people.

I was down there last week and popped in for a visit. Same old same old. The Bass Cellar still has that obnoxious sign on the till: "Want a bass but got no cash? Don't waste our time." Guys, I have news for you: your time is worthless and I'll waste as much of it as I see fit. Bizarrely, they had a Hofner Senator and a Vox Wyman (my first two basses) hanging in the 'Vintage - do not touch' section next to one another. I was very nearly sick on the spot. I'd love to go in there with a credit card inscribed: "Want to sell a bass but have sh*t stock and non-existent customer service? .... "Hopefully the place will be flattened and turned into a McDonalds, where the current droids might learn something.

Another +1 for Wunjos. There is still at least one real guitar shop in Denmark St, though who knows for how much longer given the other comments in this thread. What will we have left to moan about?

Also a big woo for Macaris a bit further down Charing X road for having a Guitarron in stock, even if they don't know how to tune it! I was very very tempted :-)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='189114' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:46 PM']If you know for sure that the whole block is being developed then it sounds like the decision has been made by Consolidated in the last few months perhaps.[/quote]

But then I'd have to kill you ...

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' date='Apr 30 2008, 06:11 PM' post='189080']
Just in case there's any doubt, please note that most of the shops in Denmark Street are actually one shop - Music Ground (based in Leeds).

Regent Sounds, Bass Cellar, Drum Cellar, Hank's Acoustics, Rockers, etc. etc. are ALL just 'departments' of the same shop so any attempt to play each of them off against the others on price is a complete waste of time.

Rose Morris (I think) are independent, as are Vintage & Rare, Wunjo's, and Chris Bryant Guitars.

MB1. :)
Tis True!.....all part of the musicground organisation.......and nowhere near Denmark.