Why become a member? ×

What power lead for an amp?

Lozz196

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1345655215' post='1780132']
Done it a lot for stuff thats connected into mains spurs, But , if you cut the plug off a foriegn KETTLE LEAD, you might find that the colours are not the same as with a UK one.

Theyre only cheap, and a moulded plug is a safer bet anyway imo, so why bother ? Just buy one.
[/quote]

I never mensioned foreign Kettle Leads! :blink: :D

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1345653173' post='1780090']
That's fallen out of use for some time. Some (few) countries still have them and you can still find one or anther in some very old houses but nobody's using them in modern construction nowadays
[/quote]

They're still standard here and apparently also in France, Belgium, Poland and Slovakia. I'm only 60Km from the Austrian border and got caught the first time I went down there. Czech plugs won't go into Austrian sockets but the other way is OK.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1345659888' post='1780213']
They're still standard here and apparently also in France, Belgium, Poland and Slovakia. I'm only 60Km from the Austrian border and got caught the first time I went down there. Czech plugs won't go into Austrian sockets but the other way is OK.
[/quote]

One of the main reasons that's making EU change to these plugs is the ability to either plug the socket one way or rotating 180 degrees. Like i said some countries are still using them and many device's plugs have both contacts for either socket but i recon that could start changing in a near future.

edit: just a curiosity, the "EU" plug shown in my pic will fit in both plugs, PT and CZ.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Couldn't you just "borrow" one from an old computer instead of buying new? And haven't you got extra leads in case one faults? I've been gathering leds for some time now (some remained from old PC's and some magicly apeared on my gigbag in the morning after gigs/rehearsalls - others have disapeared too so the thing balances itself ;) ) and now i must have about 10 leads stored in a case somewere in my house... :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1345664463' post='1780291']
Couldn't you just "borrow" one from an old computer instead of buying new? And haven't you got extra leads in case one faults? I've been gathering leds for some time now (some remained from old PC's and some magicly apeared on my gigbag in the morning after gigs/rehearsalls - others have disapeared too so the thing balances itself ;) ) and now i must have about 10 leads stored in a case somewere in my house... :)
[/quote]

The monitor leads from old PCs, with a male kettle plug one end and a female the other are great when your amp lead wont reach. Well worth keeping a couple of them in yer case. Take up less romm than an extension lead.

ebay, useful 2m long, £1.97 inc p&p.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-UK-Mains-Power-Cable-Kettle-Lead-Standard-PC-TFT-IEC-/180373184623?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item29ff14606f&_uhb=1#ht_1533wt_1042

Buy a spare and still have change from a fiver.

Why make things complicated?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1345727983' post='1780935']
Bet they do wonders for your tone! <_< ;) :lol: ................................................................. :blink:
[/quote]

But it has to be the straight ones for me, they're more defined, the angled plugs have a darker sound!

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1345728288' post='1780944']
The cheap leads are OK provided you use one of these to suppress the ectoplasmic emanations:

[url="http://www.hifi-advice.com/Shakti-stone-review.html"]http://www.hifi-advi...one-review.html[/url]
[/quote]

...must...resist...

legend has it that the EU wanted to move towards a standard design for plugs. They did a study and it turned out that our UK ones were the safest by quite a long way. The french were not pleased and the idea of a play standard based on the safest option got dropped.... might be just legend!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345740031' post='1781145']
legend has it that the EU wanted to move towards a standard design for plugs. They did a study and it turned out that our UK ones were the safest by quite a long way. The french were not pleased and the idea of a play standard based on the safest option got dropped.... might be just legend!
[/quote]

Don't have to look too hard to see the UK plugs and sockets are better than Euro and US designs. French probably objected due to the cost of changing, no idea how you'd start to calculate that.

I'm not trying to start an argument here but IMHO i often find very helpful the fact that i can plug to the same socket in two diferent positions but i have to agree that UK plgs look safer due to the fact that the ground connection isn't sticking out of the socket so you can´t touch it...

unless...