Why become a member? ×

No One Knows Bassline

AndThenSome1

I'm currently working on a recording project covering Queens Of The Stone Age's track No One Knows - i'm pretty sure most people will be familiar with the bass solo/break that the track builds up to, and as I'm going to be laying this down in a few weeks, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

1. Does Nick Oliveri record this track with a pick or his fingers, or both? The video seems to show him playing with both.

2. Aside from using a vintage P-Bass, does anybody know what amps or effects were used for the bass tone?

I'm fairly sure he's done a few Bass Player interviews over the years and if anyone who has seen them could shed some light it would really help!

Cheers,

Martyn

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1345588276' post='1779314']
Remember reading some article where he said he hated using effects pedals and liked a simple p bass -> amp -> cab sound. Hope that's of help :)
[/quote]
When I saw them live (first album tour, mind you) he was just using p-bass > SVT (II?) > Ampeg 8x10

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1345594807' post='1779373']
P bass into cranked SVT, simple as that, only pedal I ever saw him use was a volume pedal for muting between songs.
[/quote]
That's a great site , never knew about it until now !

Dunno about in the studio but saw him live many times on the songs for the deaf tour...

P-bass with Basslines SPB3 quarter pounder, bass tuned C-F-B flat- E flat with what looked like quite regular strings as they were REALLY floppy! Played hard with a pick cranked thru a scruffy Ampeg rig.

Sounded the same as the album cut to me... Effing awesome!
A Sansamp Bassdriver DI will get you there for a recording.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1345585043' post='1779234']
These folk are only allowed to say they use what they're endorsed for. Without speaking to the engineer, you will never know. Just play the bloody thing!
[/quote]

If you do some hunting you might find some forum posts about it from Eric Valentine, the producer.
Not sure where exactly you'll find it but I know a friend of mine found him on a forum and got him to answer a few questions about Songs For The Deaf. He found out how they tracked the drums and what amps Josh Homme used so there may very well be something about what Oliveri used.

I agree with the others though, it does just sound like a P through an SVT turned up to full.

This was one of the few covers that an originals band I briefly thought about joining did in their set. I got reasonably close in terms of the playing (detuned a cheap practice bass a couple of tones) but can't stand the fuzzy overdriven sound. Gave up on the band in the end but I found this quite useful;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEYHmVYvU0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEYHmVYvU0[/url]

If you go on youtube and look for 'Qotsa Glastonbury 2002 No One Knows' (sorry I can't put the link up directly - my phone is cack) you can fleetingly see Nick O finishing a passage with his fingers then reaching to the mic stand to grab a pick for the next bit. Never noticed this before.
The rest of the tunes from them that day are well worth a look - that was one hell of a line up back then!
Also on one of the tunes (soz can't remember which one and I've got an armful of newborn baby right now so I can't really go trawling even though I want to!) you can clearly see the large pole pieces of his quarter pounder and the down-tuned flubby strings I mentioned earlier.

I is a 5 string either my stingray 5 or the Dingwall a markbass head and 4x10 and a vt pedal and it sounds pretty close.

I can prob say when you play you will more than likely the only person in the room thinking about you tone ! Unless there is another bass player in the audience, if you spot one beware he is most likely think more about how he can rob your gig !
Just make sure you lock in with your drummer and play your balls off :)