Why become a member? ×

A dumb question

Leon Transaxle

Basic physics says that a 100W amp is twice as loud as a 10W and and a 1000W amp twice as loud as 100W.
[url="http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1951.pdf"]http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1951.pdf[/url]
If I therefore buy two BA115s, crank them both up to the max and run one channel of my Korg AX10 through each will it be as loud as 1000W and if not why not?
It can't believe it would but I can't see the hole in the argument.
Please feel free to point it out.

I have no problem with radiation physics but always struggle a bit with sound.

If I've understood correctly, it seems that you are assuming that two 100W amps will be twice as loud as one of them. This simply isn't the case. The two amps may pump out twice the power, but the result will not be twice the loudness.

Edited by mart

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1345202971' post='1774894']
Roll the balance control on your stereo fully left, then fully right then back to the centre for a quick demonstration of that theory ;)

Not twice as loud but there may be a benefit from having two sources of sound instead of one.
[/quote]

Where's that function on my iPod? Can't find it anywhere... <_<

Thanks for the replies. I realise I was potentially setting myself up for a load of ritual humiliation but it is something that has always got me thinking.
The whole thing is counter-intuitive. If I have two sacks of spuds they are twice as heavy. If I have two light bulbs they are twice as bright. So why not twice as loud?
I suppose it was obvious it wasn't the case otherwise Ritchie Blackmore would be seen standing in front of a massive stack of Marshall practice amps

I suspect that 2 x the same amp will be twice as loud as 1 x the same amp ..... but only under certain conditions. The signal you have going into the 1 x amp scenario would need to be replicated into the second amp in the 2 x amp scenario. So, you would need to pay attention to the input sources and how they were generated.

Also, placement of the two amps may well have an effect - i.e. right beside or on top of each other versus placing them a distance apart .......... but I'll leave that to someone else.

A decibel meter will give you the answer.

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1345201282' post='1774857']
[b]Basic physics says[/b] that a 100W amp is twice as loud as a 10W and and [b]a 1000W amp twice as loud as 100W.[/b]
[/quote]

You've answered your own question with your first line! .. so if you understand this .. what makes you think 200w (2x100watt amps) will be twice as loud as 100w ?

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1345213286' post='1775083']
The whole thing is counter-intuitive. If I have two sacks of spuds they are twice as heavy. If I have two light bulbs they are twice as bright. So why not twice as loud?
[/quote]

It's only counter-intuitive if you assume the ear is a linear device. But it isn't, so it's not.

1000 watts is twice as 100 watts (

100 watt amp produces so much perceved volume
2 100 watt amps 2 lots of the same amount of volume (ie twice as much)
therefore 2 100 watts amps produce the same volume as a 1000 watt amp
therefor 2 100 watt amps are louder than one 900watt amp

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1345216019' post='1775137']
1000 watts is twice as 100 watts (
[i]twice as loud, yes.[/i]

100 watt amp produces so much perceved volume
[i]OK[/i]

2 100 watt amps 2 lots of the same amount of volume (ie twice as much)
[i]twice as much power[/i]

therefore 2 100 watts amps produce the same volume as a 1000 watt amp
[i]No, twice as much power (200W) but only 3dB louder.[/i]

therefor 2 100 watt amps are louder than one 900watt amp
[i]Just obviously no[/i]

[/quote]

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1345213286' post='1775083']
The whole thing is counter-intuitive. If I have two sacks of spuds they are twice as heavy. If I have two light bulbs they are twice as bright. ....
[/quote]
Counter-intuitive, yes.
Spuds, yes.
But are two light bulbs really twice as bright as one? They are brighter, sure, but are they twice as bright?

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1345217453' post='1775160']
Counter-intuitive, yes.
Spuds, yes.
But are two light bulbs really twice as bright as one? They are brighter, sure, but are they twice as bright?
[/quote]
I don't know.
Maybe light bulbs weren't the best example as the production of light is a inefficient process involving much heat as a by product so there are too many other variables in the equation.
Its the old candlepower unit that made me think of it.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

It's been a long time since I studied this,but it's not about watts,it's about decibels and how the human ear percieves volume.( as has been pointed out). I believe the human earhole percieves doubling of loud as an increase of around 6 decibels.So if you want twice as loud as the 100watts rms amp,then you need to be using (around) 1000watts rms of amp.Then we complicate it further by adding that the human ear percieves lower frequencies as quieter than higher frequencies ( which is why the woofer on your hifi or PA is much more powerful than the tweeter)...I'll get me lab coat....Bottom line is,it's got little to do with basic physics.My head hurts now.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345221492' post='1775232']
No one mentioned the effect the type/size of speakers used will have yet? *runs for cover*
[/quote]

Or whether they are a mile away or clamped to each side of your head like headphones!! *runs faster.....*

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1345225076' post='1775285']
Or whether they are a mile away or clamped to each side of your head like headphones!! *runs faster.....*
[/quote]
Or if they are valve watts or solid state watts..... *runs past usain....*