Why become a member? ×

Where did all the gigs go?

Bilbo

I have one on 25th August, then the next one is NEW YEAR'S 'kin EVE!!

That is by far the worst it has been since I started gigging in 1980. I will value the time for writing and composing but, 'kin 'ell...

So much for 'get a double bass and you'll get loads more gigs' :lol:

A lot of pubs seem to have axed Saturday night bands - it's all Fridays now round my way and that's halved the number of slots available.

We played 15 gigs last year (bloody amateurs) and we reckon we'll do better than that in 2012, but we're having to try MUCH harder to get new ones.

It seems the gigs are fewer and further between than ever. Even ten years ago, would we have entertained pay to play? Or selling a certain number of tickets before the venue would book? Or being expected to play for free and make the cash back by flogging merchandise to the pub drinkers?

Plenty of gigs up here if you want to play R 'n' B or blues covers. Done that. It's dull. Function bands getting plenty of work too - but it's much harder for anything that's original or slightly left of centre... :unsure:

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1345044689' post='1772795']
It seems the gigs are fewer and further between than ever. Even ten years ago, would we have entertained pay to play? Or selling a certain number of tickets before the venue would book? Or being expected to play for free and make the cash back by flogging merchandise to the pub drinkers?
[/quote]

I remember all these scams running 20 years ago, so yes. Yes we (well not us, other bands that went along with it) did.

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1345043866' post='1772784']
We do covers. We're called The Lowtones. Playing The Swinging Arm on the 31st in Brokenhead!
[/quote]

TBH I kinda guessed as much. Each to their own, but playing covers is just not my thing...we've found it nigh on impossible getting gigs round Wirral as an original outfit, they've almost all been in Liverpool.

Still, I'd rather do 10 original gigs a year than 50 cover gigs, but then I'm not tring to make a living out of it B)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1345044689' post='1772795']
[/quote]

Interestingly there's an article just come on the BBC website about the free comedy gigs at the Edinburgh Fringe. Totally unheard of a few years back there will be something like 800 put on this year. The comics perform at a venue for free and pass a hat around. Since the vast majority of these performers will have had to fund travel to Edinburgh, food and lodgings, is it much different to 'paying to play'?
Obviously the similarities with music only go so far, but it does seem to indicate a common trend. There seems to have been a 'game change'.
Is it adapt or perish?

I couldn't be busier - 5 gigs last week, got the next two weekends off while the drummer's on holiday then gigging every weekend til the end of the year. That said, we've worked fecking hard to ensure we're that busy.

It is probably down to the sort of music on offer - these days, pubs are reluctant to take a punt on anything new or adventurous and stick to bands they know can pull/please the masses.

Never mind where did all the gigs go, where did all the bleedin' 'bass player wanted' ads go? I've been looking since my last band broke up in January and the only real nibble I've had was with an originals band that I ultimately didn't think were right for me and turned down after a couple of weeks learning their material. Whilst doing that I missed out on applying to another band who play covers and apparently (according to a guy who I know that has seen them) are distinctly average. However I got in touch anyway and found out that this band had no less than EIGHT bass players they could have chosen from apart from me and the slot had been filled. Time to get some singing lessons from McGraham and switch to warbling instead!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1345046378' post='1772833']
Interestingly there's an article just come on the BBC website about the free comedy gigs at the Edinburgh Fringe. Totally unheard of a few years back there will be something like 800 put on this year. The comics perform at a venue for free and pass a hat around. Since the vast majority of these performers will have had to fund travel to Edinburgh, food and lodgings, is it much different to 'paying to play'?
Obviously the similarities with music only go so far, but it does seem to indicate a common trend. There seems to have been a 'game change'.
Is it adapt or perish?
[/quote]

We've all got so bored with hearing about the Recession that we've stopped noticing the bleedin' obvious.

There's MUCH less cash out there than there used to be.

It's not just pubs that are going bust and closing, it's all sorts of venues and potential venues. It's not just landlords who are feeling the pinch, so are a lot of people who five years ago would have hired a band for their 40th party or their Silver Wedding but will now settle for a selection of toons played through their daughter's iPad into the house PA.

And that's just the demand side.

Look at the supply side, where you have a growing number of people prepared to play for very little, or even nowt, and you have to question why people will continue to pay serious money to hire amateur or even semi-pro bands.

I'm no happier with the situation than anyone else, but there's no point sticking our heads in the sand ... it's only going to get worse, and for several years yet. :(

Gig? What is gig?

Such is life that I currently can't afford to be in a band because it involves far too much time and money for travelling to where there are bands, and then more than I can sensibly afford on a crappy rehearsal room.

So, I look for bassist wanted ads hoping there's something closer to home that I can stomach and get nowhere, look further afield (London) with a vague interest fully aware that I really can't afford to commit unless there are paid gigs waiting.

I left a prog metal band 2 years ago because, even after being honest about it and scaling things back it simply cost too much to rehearse for what turned out to be 1 and a half gigs in the space of 8 months (from an established band that had hadsome very respectable gigs in and around london).

I assumed the band had died a death as there is no internet presence left, but seems they've been continuously working on the album we were writing when I left despite many line up changes.

they asked me to rejoin to help complete and promote the album, but have no gigs lined up...