Why become a member? ×

Never been gigged = less damage?

Dave Vader

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1344011736' post='1758757']
Is there something wrong with looking after your gear and being a bit precious about it?? I look after all my gear - I don't want it being a victim of some drunkard w***er climbing on stage and falling all over it or spilling beer on it.

To me "never been gigged" says "looked after", "cared for" or "treated with some respect" - yes, they may be tools of our trade but that doesn't mean they should be subject to "accidents". If they get damaged in your home/studio then you need to be a bit more careful...
[/quote]

Plus one. I've gigged my 'go to' Ray a lot, and it's still babied all the time.

I used to get told to look after my possessions as a mark of respect for whoever bought them for me as a gift when I was a young lad. My dad is equally as caring when he brings his old Lambretta out or even his VW van that is immaculate. I was brought up to be quite careful with money so if you spend £1500 on a bass, why wouldn't you do you best to keep it as new?!

It's horses for courses I guess. Some love the old beaten look.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1343996004' post='1758381']
Would anyone really buy a bass without seeing and handling it?
[/quote]

Yes, me. I am geographically challenged and the vast majority of my basses have been bought on the strength of specs and pics at distance. If you live near a great bass shop or have easily satisfied mainstream tastes then good for you, but we're not all the same.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1343996004' post='1758381']
Would anyone really buy a bass without seeing and handling it?
[/quote]

Yes as well. If the basses you like are all obscure makes and models then trying by buying is the only way.

The last time I tried the actual bass that I bought before parting with my money for it, I ended up moving it on within 6 months. An hour or two in a music shop is no substitute for a couple of rehearsals and a gig. I won't really know if an instrument is for me until I've used it in a band context, so unless I can have it on extended loan first, most try before buying situations are of little value to me.

Edited by BigRedX

I`ve bought a fair few basses unseen, and one of them, my 77 Precision, is my main bass, and a keeper. To be honest, much of my hobby of playing bass is buying and selling gear, as well as playing. I find it great fun.

Some sellers give out very little info. I tend to put everything into a sale ad, so to me "never been gigged" could be relevant information to a buyer. I've never seen an instrument that has been gigged in as pristine condition as an NBG instrument.

At home all my basses are kept in their cases. They are never taken out unless it is to play them so my understanding would be that an NBG bass would be in better condition than even the most carefully gigged bass. In a sale I would confirm that first, though.

There seems to be a lot of players out there who buy basses, many of them boutique, just to play at home so an NBG bass is no indication that it's any worse than someone else's favourite and hard worked and bashed about instrument.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1344074529' post='1759377']
Yes, me. I am geographically challenged and the vast majority of my basses have been bought on the strength of specs and pics at distance. If you live near a great bass shop or have easily satisfied mainstream tastes then good for you, but we're not all the same.
[/quote]
Ditto

We have one good bass shop in about a 60 mile radius and the prices are, well, more than i would pay from Basschat, Ebay etc. Most of my basses are bought unseen - if i don't get on with them or see something else more shiny i sell em.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1344011736' post='1758757']
Is there something wrong with looking after your gear and being a bit precious about it?? I look after all my gear - I don't want it being a victim of some drunkard w***er climbing on stage and falling all over it or spilling beer on it.

To me "never been gigged" says "looked after", "cared for" or "treated with some respect" - yes, they may be tools of our trade but that doesn't mean they should be subject to "accidents". If they get damaged in your home/studio then you need to be a bit more careful...
[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with looking after your gear. But "never been gigged" doesn't mean "really well looked after", "unmarked" or "in as new condition". It could mean "has been lying on the floor, the kids use it as a cricket bat and last week the cat was sick on it".

When I'm looking at for sale ads, one of the things I look for is clear, specific information about the condition, not vague statements that are supposed to imply something, but don't actually mean anything.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1343992383' post='1758281']
The scratches down the back of my SG came from shoving it into a gap behind my acoustic (doh, stap button), most of the dings on my instruments comes from standing up from my chair and knocking them against the table.
The bent tuner on my rickenbastard is from whacking the headstock against a shelf in the studio by mistake.
The bent pot on my fretless is from it dropping into the table leg as I reached across for a mandolin...

[/quote]

Does this mean we should be wary about buying basses from you :)

I've been asked if gear I'm selling has been 'gigged', so I state whether it has/hasn't in the description.

Whether it's useful information, I don't know as any dinks/scratches I've done to mine have been anywhere but at a gig. In fact, I don't think I've ever had any dinks to my gear during gigs as I'm even more careful when transporting them.

I'll try my hardest to avoid the first dink, but once it's there, I'm not so bothered about the second and onwards.

Guest bassman7755

Being a bit of a super/classic car enthusiast you get the same phenomena i.e. "never been used on a track" - but really if youve a got a 180mph capable car it would be rude not to give it the odd outing wouldnt it ? its as if using something for what god intended is somehow wrong.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344240146' post='1761485']
there was a rally car over here. Guy advertised it as "Only driven on weekends " :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

:D :D

Most of us have basses because we're in bands, gigging is what they're for. I don't have mine to hang on the wall or to keep in my uncle's loft. Anyway, all of mine were secondhand, and for all I know they could have been used as a paddle in white water rafting.