Why become a member? ×

How fecking cool is this bass?

merello

http://www.destroyallguitars.com/newarrivals-extras/4842-pheo-viola-bass

If you're new to Pheo Guitars, read on. These fractured, yet crafted, random yet profoundly organized instruments are the creations of Phil Sylvester of Pheo Guitars. They are the very epitome of functional art – they play, beautifully, even startlingly well. They are consummate instruments that press hard at the boundaries of what we normally think an instrument “should” be. From Pheo you will find remarkable guitars and amplifiers made from found objects and crafted elements – old instrument parts, hairdryers, grills, vacuum cleaners, etc. all deconstructed and reassembled into a whole that only vaguely resembles, and certainly transcends it’s origins.
[b]Pheo Viola Bass - $2400[/b]
McCartney style bass but made with a real viola body, solid spruce top, solid maple back and sides. A rock maple spine from neck pocket to tailpiece takes the string tension, leaving the top free to vibrate. 34 inch scale, 12 inch radius, graphite reinforced neck. P bass type pickup with volume knob, suspended over the body.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1343752520' post='1754655']
It's so wrong it's kind of right!
It would be Interesting to hear what it sounds like. I suspect neck dive may be an issue. And verbal abuse at gigs.
[/quote]
Just ask for a brick to be inserted during the build!

To me - not cool at all! Looks a Feckin mess, neck is totally wrong & far too wide, (at the heel at least) complete abortion of fitting a P-bass pup, how the hell can it be cool?

Sort of thing I wouldn't give a Fiver for at a boot sale, must be the most unbalanced POS ever.

YHMV
John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1343753106' post='1754668']
To me - not cool at all! Looks a Feckin mess, neck is totally wrong & far too wide, (at the heel at least) complete abortion of fitting a P-bass pup, how the hell can it be cool?

Sort of thing I wouldn't give a Fiver for at a boot sale, must be the most unbalanced POS ever.

YHMV
John
[/quote]

I also think is 'orrible.

Which probably means it [i]is[/i] cool.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1343767282' post='1755010']
Is this real or a photoshop bodge?

Looks awful and, probably, unplayable :(
[/quote]

You think that's unplayable, pity the poor viola player with a P bass body with viola neck wedged under their chin.

Errr... has anyone seen my jaw... it fell off with a thud to the floor and rolled under the table. I'm not sure if I should go looking for it or sit here in shock, dribbling all over my keyboard.