Why become a member? ×

halp! Just bought a Hohner B2a from fleabay and think it's broke

mr bassie

Went to pick it up yesterday and tried it over headphones in a noisy kitchen - seemed alright but turning on the preamp, the volume seems to dip massively

when you adjust the two concentric pup selectors they seem to turn the sound completely off at various points...

Edited by mr bassie

[quote name='mr bassie' timestamp='1343563105' post='1752063']
this may be an increadibly stupid question - when the bass is active the red light is on right?
[/quote]

If the switch is in the active position then the red light will be on.

his response from ebay :

[color=#000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]I sold Hohner Headless Guitar cash on collection basis on Ebay.Condition of the Hohner was immaculate and you agreed.I accepted your offer of £250.00.
You came to collect with all electrical connectors to test before paying.You were absolutely satisfied and said "everything seems perfect" and you paid collected the Guitar and left.
How you handled guitar since yesterday, I don't know, and damaged it.
You are responsible for your actions, have it fixed repair it yourself I don't want to get involved anymore and waste my time.Report to the police and ebay and we will take it from there.
best regards[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='mr bassie' timestamp='1343562009' post='1752048']
when you adjust the two concentric pup selectors they seem to turn the sound completely off at various points...
[/quote]

If they are there instead of a pickup selector switch are you not just turning the volume of both down? If it's at more than one point it could be the pot's sweeper is oxidised, it's possible a squirt of switch cleaner might help.

Standard procedure would be to try it with a different lead, & then with a different amp. After you've put a new battery in it of course.
Have you a decent music store near you, one that might have a good repairs guy?

The seller has a point, if you went & saw it, tested it - said 'everything seems perfect' - I don't think you've got a leg to stand on regarding a claim against him.

If something has broken, it's probably only a wire off or battery problem.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1343568993' post='1752136']
If they are there instead of a pickup selector switch are you not just turning the volume of both down? If it's at more than one point it could be the pot's sweeper is oxidised, it's possible a squirt of switch cleaner might help.

Standard procedure would be to try it with a different lead, & then with a different amp. After you've put a new battery in it of course.
Have you a decent music store near you, one that might have a good repairs guy?
[/quote]I've just bought one, with no problems. But as Stu says, a quick clean of the electrics could solve this.
More detail with the problem please. Where do you live? If you are near the Wirral, I'll take a look at it for you.

A picture would help at this early stage as the description of the controls doesn't sound right. There should be neck pup vol knob, bridge pup vol knob, a stacked knob for bass (outer/lower ring) and treble (inner/upper) plus the active on/off switch with red light to indicate it is active. I did have one that was different to this which was apparently a very early model.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1343585488' post='1752391']
A picture would help at this early stage as the description of the controls doesn't sound right. There should be neck pup vol knob, bridge pup vol knob, a stacked knob for bass (outer/lower ring) and treble (inner/upper) plus the active on/off switch with red light to indicate it is active. I did have one that was different to this which was apparently a very early model.
[/quote]

thanks for the help guys, I live in Cambridge

the active mode is definitely buggered - the stacked volume pots don't boost or cut the treble/bass - it just crackles hisses and completely kills the sound in certain points

as suggested above i swapped the battery for a brand new 9v duracell and it made no difference

the seller was exceptionally confrontational on the phone, immediately so. I didn't jump down his neck - I just said that i taken it home and turned it on and that there was a problem

er... I kinda agree with the seller here. You were happy when you bought it. Did the active mode work then? - I can see why he might be pissed off that you just get back to him out the blue and say it's not working.

Bass preamps are quite simple circuits for the most part- have you tried fixing it yourself?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1343600903' post='1752671']
Legally, you went to his place, you tested it, you declared yourself happy when you paid.

Game over.

Caveat emptor.
[/quote]
Yes agree - if you got it posted you'd be in a different boat. You had the chance to inspect the goods and took it. Take it on the chin and accept help offered here to fix it.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343600675' post='1752668']
I have a B2a (5).
Red light on = active.
Controls should be V/V/ stacked Bass/Treble.
Is there a screwdriver-sized hole in the control cavity cover? Mine has a trim pot for the pre-amp. Does yours have one. Is it turned down, perchance?

Hope that helps!
[/quote]

yeah it does, a small plastic screw with preamp h-l (high/low?)

I tried turning that and it does nothing

if (worst case scenario) I have to swap the preamp/pups can anyone make a suggestion for a combo to replace it?

From your OP, it implies that the output in passive mode is alright. If this is the case, the pickups are probably ok. That leaves the pre amp as the likely culprit. The cavity in these basses is hardly large, so a non-original pre amp might not fit.
On the up side, the original unit is very basic, so a repair or replacement ought not to to be too expensive...

[quote name='mr bassie' timestamp='1343587544' post='1752438']
the seller was exceptionally confrontational on the phone, immediately so. I didn't jump down his neck - I just said that i taken it home and turned it on and that there was a problem
[/quote]

Yeah, sounds like he knew. I don't think you're going to have much of a hope, given you tried the bass - unless you're willing to be economical with the truth.

As it's cash in hand, there's no third party to dive in and secure the funds, which will be the sh*tt*r. Report to Ebay in any case, and leave him some awful feedback.

Should be straightforward enough to fix, however - hopefully some knowledgable BC'er will be local.