Why become a member? ×

Peter Hook and Joy Division

Pete Academy

The great thing about joy division was that they ignored all the conventional instrumental roles. Just because you play an instrument that is traditionally associated with producing low notes doesn't mean you have to stick to them. Opened up a whole new way of arranging songs for me when I first heard them and I've never looked back.

Brilliant call, Clarky.
Lets put it this way. Steely Dan had their admiration of faded hipsters, long gone comforts of nuclear families, and had a canny ear for excellence.
Joy Division had faded families all around them, a world class image making machine and a great prouducer. You take from what is around you.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343250381' post='1747897']
The great thing about joy division was that they ignored all the conventional instrumental roles. Just because you play an instrument that is traditionally associated with producing low notes doesn't mean you have to stick to them.
[/quote]

:lol:
I always assumed Hook played high on his G string because he didn't have the faintest idea what could be done on the rest of the fretboard.

Joy Division were (for me at least) a band that was significantly greater than the sum of its parts. I would't consider any of the members a particularly great musician (Ian Curtis couldn't even sing), but that didn't stand in their way.

Fair play to them for getting up and doing it. They managed to capture everything about who they were and where they were from brilliantly, warts and all.

Even if you don't like Hooky or Joy Division/New Order, this bass riff is utterly brilliant at sorting out the intonation on a bass - I play it every time I get a new bass (which is lets face it quite often) to help me do the setup properly :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdheR0bUwI

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1343250743' post='1747918']
:lol:
I always assumed Hook played high on his G string because he didn't have the faintest idea what could be done on the rest of the fretboard.
[/quote]

hook didn't spend his whole time up the dusty end ! transmission and digital spring to mind as two played lower down. there are others tho....my memory fails me on the titles.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1343250960' post='1747926']
Even if you don't like Hooky or Joy Division/New Order, this bass riff is utterly brilliant at sorting out the intonation on a bass - I play it every time I get a new bass (which is lets face it quite often) to help me do the setup properly :lol:
[/quote]

hahahha - me too !

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343251388' post='1747945']
In a word, ethos.

I saw them several times in 79/80 and they were totally mesmerising. But I can't imagine a newcomer "getting" them from this distance, just as back then I didn't "get" 50's rock'n'roll. (Still don't, mostly!)
[/quote]Brilliantly put.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343251961' post='1747956']
Whether or not you like the band or what Hooky played, you have to admit he made people rethink about the role of the bass guitar in pop/rock.
[/quote]

Probably not.

If you liked him you probably tried to emulate or copy him. If you didn't, you ignored him, wrote him off as a useless bass player and lumped him in with the bloke from U2.

His influence on pop/rock has been minor at best.

Apparently Hooky started playing high up on the frets from the very beginning, because the gear he was playing through was so crap (I remember something about Bernard butchering his granny's old gramophone by wiring it up through where the needle went to play his guitar) that he could only really hear himself in the higher registers.

Jumping forward, by the time New Order were using lots of synth, there was generally a programmed synth bass line (think Bizarre Love Triangle), allowing Hooky to do his melodic thing. When I first heard PCL and Low-life, for example (I was a spotty teenage drummer at the time), I never realised that a lot of the melodies/tunes/riffs/whatever were a bass, I just thought they were lead-ish synth parts, and of course the thing is that it doesn't matter what they are, what they sound like or who plays them, all that matters is the song. And as someone else above said, New Order produced beguilingly sublime creations that are far more than the sum of their parts. Things like Your Silent Face, All Day Long, Leave Me Alone, The Village.... wow.

Listen to this, with the synth bass first, and then Hooky coming in. Doesn't particularly sound like a bass. Doesn't have to. Doesn't matter.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6P5H9ZUVk[/media]

I could go on and on about New Order. They also produced an awful lot of absolute crud. PCL contains four of my favourite songs from my teenage years, desert island disc stuff. The other four are dreadful. Complete dross.

Edited by Zenitram

It either hits the mark or it doesn't and I would imagine if they were able to hit that spot, they could be magical...but the musicianship ..or lack of it, made that a pretty hairy ride.

Not my staple listening but I've liked the New Order diet a bit more..
Each to their own