Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='224040' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:11 AM']RATM is always fun to play though i've never got 'Take The Power Back' down because my slap technique is terrible.[/quote]

I posted that then thought i havent tried in a while picked up my trusty Squire ( i always have my Squire to hand) and did it first time BOO YA i must be getting better

[quote name='The Funk' post='219290' date='Jun 15 2008, 04:50 PM']Don't you mean [i]Forget Me Nots[/i] by Patrice Rushen?[/quote]

I heard a great interview with Ready Freddie Washington once.

He got a writer's credit for the coming up with the bass line to Forget Me Nots. It was a big enough hit in it's own right but was then used for Men in Black & covered by George Michael on Fast Love. Serious multi-platinum sales stuff for each of these.

I think Will Smith gave him a jont writer credit but he didn't initially get a co-credit from George Michael. The stories were that Patrice Rushen & Ready Freddie settled out of court though. Also some additional credits when Randy Crawford covered it and it was featured in the movie Big.

He reckoned he was earning enough from this one bassline alone to pretty much retire if he wanted to!

One of my favourite bass stories, session guy comes up with great bass line, gets writer credit and earns a fortune - how often does that happen?

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='186256' date='Apr 27 2008, 01:09 AM']Midnight at the Oasis - been trying to get the BNH version sorted but settled for the original Maria Mulduar![/quote]

Have you got that line down yet? Was listening to it on the radio this moring and it sounds nice but a little tricky!

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='189601' date='May 1 2008, 11:38 AM']+100

lazy gits :huh:

er oh yeah back on topic

Hysteria - Muse
Tobacco Road - David Lee Roth version (Billy Sheehan on bass :) )
Vertigo - U2
Paranoid - Black Sabbath[/quote]

I bet you really suggested 'Elephant Gun' by Diamond Dave!! :huh:

[quote name='jonsmith' post='192410' date='May 5 2008, 07:38 PM']Mission by Rush - working on this with my Rush tribute at the moment. Hardest bit seems to be getting the transition from the 5/4 bit under the first guitar solo to the marimba/bass unison part really tight (and the tail end of that part is a bit tricky too). Good fun.[/quote]

Good on ya! A bit of a challenge that one. Every Rush song has a great bass part. Have you looked at 'territories' or 'analogue kid'?

[quote name='StevieC' post='224951' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:50 PM']Have you got that line down yet? Was listening to it on the radio this moring and it sounds nice but a little tricky![/quote]

I got pretty close (with some YouTube assistance!). However other band members struggling so seems to have been dropped from the set for the time being!

Nirvana - Milk It.

Well not exactly recently learnt, but went over it to make sure I've still got it down after all these years, since my band wants to cover it. Not the most technical bassline in the world by a long shot but hella fun to play. Easy to jump around and not f*** things up with this one :)

[quote name='shaundixon666' post='223954' date='Jun 22 2008, 07:18 AM']Should give Bombtrack a go :)

Love playing that song[/quote]
plus the one, awesome stuff

just learnt soul to squeeze by rhcp, lovely riff