Why become a member? ×

Anyone see the Quadrophenia doc on BBC4?

molan

Not sure exactly when it was on but must have been sometime in the last three weeks.

One of my favourite albums and I really enjoyed the doc.

Not a great deal of Entwhistle content but some fascinating stuff about the creation and recording of the material :)

The biggest surprise for me was Pete Townshend's comment regarding Keith Moon, saying that he "really didn't think much of him as s drummer". It's really interesting to hear the viewpoint of the individuals involved at the core of the creative process.

I watched it too. One of my altime (Goosepimples) albums for my all time fave group. I had to put the original vinyl on and had an emotional hour or so :D 'The real me' and '5:15' do it every time!

I then did a bit of googling about stuff. 'Chad' (Real name Terry Kennett) the kid on the album was one of my first. He died in 2011. This was prompted by the final credit on the program. I tried to find stuff on him but nothing past the actual use of him. He went back to being a 'sprayer' after his 15mins of fame. I finally tracked some info on a mod forum. Some woman posted that she used to live next door to him and he was an ungrateful old sod who scrounged and had all his scraounging mates around. He died of Emphasima I think.

The other very interesting thing was about the recording of the sound effects (Which you dont get most of on the CD reissues btw). From memory:

They bunged a driver a wad of cash to blow his whistle in Padington station and recorded it. Doing so is a sackable offence when not needed.

They tried recording the trains going past but they didnt sound right since they needed the whistle as well. So they stood on the line as the train aproached which made the driver whistle then they stepped back and recorded the lot!

Pete went down on the beach in Wales somewhere and recorded himself walking along on the pebbles as he sang.

They couldnt get a decent 'AM' emulator for the news broadcast so they bribed John Curle (A high profile news reader at the time) to say the speach about the Brighton riots live during the news and recorded it with a bad AM reception. The riots never happened when he read it!

They stuck 4 very expensive mikes on poles in the sea to record the waves for the quadrophonic effect. They never used it and had to wait 8 hours for the tide to come int to record it then had to wait 8 hours for the tide to go out so they could get them back.

We live in tame times.

As for the doc. It was really enlightening to hear from the horses mouth how the story pans out and Petes intentions for how it should be.

As for the 'I never rated Moon as a drummer' bit. Any Who fan knows that all through his career he has talk an awefull load of [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] in regular intervals. Dont take that comment at all seriously!!

As for the other two progs after. The film - God thats crap these days. Very low budget with little care for when it was actually set (Half the cars in the streets were 70s!!). I remember watching it wide eyed as a kid thinking this was sooooooo cool. The concert was prety poor to. Anyone els notice how tame Pino was on the solos! Very disapointing in deed.

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1342892026' post='1742524']
One of my all time favourite LP's, it's played from front to back on long car journeys.
[/quote]

I've done this as well :)

It's one of the few albums I still have on original vinyl & CD (plus downloaded on my iPod).

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1342888339' post='1742452']As for the 'I never rated Moon as a drummer' bit. Any Who fan knows that all through his career he has talk an awefull load of [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] in regular intervals. Dont take that comment at all seriously!![/quote]
Oh, I don't know about that. Townsend became disillusioned with Moon's limitations as a drummer. Why Townsend had Kenney Jones replay some of Moon's parts on both the "By Numbers" and "Who Are You" albums.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342911853' post='1742777']
Oh, I don't know about that. Townsend became disillusioned with Moon's limitations as a drummer. Why Townsend had Kenney Jones replay some of Moon's parts on both the "By Numbers" and "Who Are You" albums.
[/quote]Kenny Jones is an 'OK' :unsure: drummer, but... he was a disaster for The Who!
It's well documented that as time went on Moon was becoming a bigger liability... but Kenny Jones??? :scratch_one-s_head:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1342912891' post='1742793']Kenny Jones is an 'OK' :unsure: drummer, but... he was a disaster for The Who!
It's well documented that as time went on Moon was becoming a bigger liability... but Kenny Jones??? :scratch_one-s_head:[/quote]
His tenure with The Who correspondent with a time Townshend was writing by numbers, but you can't blame Jones for being with The Who at a time when The Who had gotten stale as a creative force. As for Moon, even if he'd not died, Townshend was likely to replace him. Moon had been forced to redo and redo his parts on "By Numbers" and, even more so, "Who Are You", and had to endure the indignity of having Jones redo those parts he couldn't cope with. Sure, the flair, the energy, and the power, that characterised Moon's playing had come to represent erratic timing, unconstructed fills, and chaotic solos. After Townshend had used Jones on "Tommy" the writing was on the wall.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342911853' post='1742777']
[/quote]

I always thought it quit odd that Kenny Jones was used to cover Moon. They couldnt be more different drummers. Replace a 'Lead drummer' with 'Mr Metronome'. Kenny went back quit a way as friends with Townshend anyway. Just to clarify what I meant: Saying "I never rated Moon as a drummer" is quit different to saying "By the time we made Quadrophenia he was past it" Two very different statements. The later I would understand if he had said it but the former, which he did say, is a bit daming.

A

As an aside I thing By Numbers is an absolutely brilliant album full of introspective stuff that was brave to produce considering thier status at the time.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342918170' post='1742827']
His tenure with The Who correspondent with a time Townshend was writing by numbers, but you can't blame Jones for being with The Who at a time when The Who had gotten stale as a creative force. As for Moon, even if he'd not died, Townshend was likely to replace him. Moon had been forced to redo and redo his parts on "By Numbers" and, even more so, "Who Are You", and had to endure the indignity of having Jones redo those parts he couldn't cope with. Sure, the flair, the energy, and the power, that characterised Moon's playing had come to represent erratic timing, unconstructed fills, and chaotic solos. After Townshend had used Jones on "Tommy" the writing was on the wall.
[/quote]

What? When did Kenney Jones play/record with the Who before 1979 if you discount the Tommy soundtrack album? That can't be true.Unless of course I've misunderstood what you meant by that. There certainly wasn't anything on Tommy that Moon couldn't cope with otherwise Live at Leeds would have sounded crap wouldn't it?

The Who by Numbers stuff was down to Glyn Johns taking away half his kit to get him to simplify his playing. As for Who Are You, they made an album with a simpler rythmic feel to appeal to American audiences which prohibited him from playing. At all. Listen to the drums on 905. They're horrible. It's so far removed from his style is it any wonder he couldn't cope aside from the fact that he was an alcoholic mess by then?

Ultimately, Jones and Moon is an apples and oranges comparison. Moon's drumming is a force of nature. Jones' is 1,2,3 (hit snare). Simplicity itself and not necessarily in a good way. The Moon era Who stuff would have sounded worse with Jones playing on it and the Jones era Who stuff it wouldn't have made any difference who played drums on it as the material was rubbish, so in that respect he did get a bum deal.

How much I love Pino I can't understand what he's doing in the Who..
You need someone with a bit of frustration, agression or wit in that bass chair (you play what you are) and Pino is far too sweet to deliver the thing Entwistle supplied..
Not that he has to copy Entwistle but it takes a certain kind of egoistic over-self confident bass playing which still blends with the rest of the band.
It's more than putting a leather jacket on, like someone said "cleverness is no substitute for true awareness"

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1342954537' post='1743036']How much I love Pino I can't understand what he's doing in the Who..
You need someone with a bit of frustration, agression or wit in that bass chair (you play what you are) and Pino is far too sweet to deliver the thing Entwistle supplied..
Not that he has to copy Entwistle but it takes a certain kind of egoistic over-self confident bass playing which still blends with the rest of the band.
It's more than putting a leather jacket on, like someone said "cleverness is no substitute for true awareness"[/quote]
Probably not someone Townshend would have thought of asking, but think Bruce Foxton would have fitted The Who sound perfectly.

It's no use - with all this Who chat I've had to put the album on :)

Reallyinteresting stuff about Keith Moon, to me The Who simply aren't The Who without Moony on drums. I love his playing on Quadrophenia!

I also agree about Pino not really working in this context. I saw them at the first gig after Townsend's grief with the media a few years back. He was on fire and thrashing away at his guitar like a teenager again, Daltrey was his usual showman self but Pino was kinda anonymous (and not in that way Entwhistle had with so much sheer presence on stage).

I have to own up that I can't remember a thing about the drummer - must have left a big impression on me! Jason Bonham maybe?

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1342955536' post='1743062']Good suggestion....[/quote]
And there's the Simon Townshend connection. He and Foxton having worked together with Casbah Club.
[quote name='molan' timestamp='1342958683' post='1743106']I have to own up that I can't remember a thing about the drummer ... Jason Bonham maybe?[/quote]
Zak Starkey most likely.

One of my favourite albums ever. The Ox's bass tone on this album just blows me away, in particular on The Real Me and The Punk and the Godfather! In fact I'm going out in the car now and think I might have to take it with me! ( Added bonus that our new estate car has got Bose sound system with a woofer under the boot floor!! :D)

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342955163' post='1743054']
Probably not someone Townshend would have thought of asking, but think Bruce Foxton would have fitted The Who sound perfectly.
[/quote]

Good call.

Don't know their names but I reckon either of the bassists from The Beta Band or White Denim would make a good go of it.