Why become a member? ×

Overrated Bassists.

Josh

[quote name='Astronomer' post='188039' date='Apr 29 2008, 01:03 PM']If Jaco were still alive he'd possibly be in the top 100 or so, in terms of sought after and respected and accomplished bassists. Good, sure, but nothing special. He's only regarded as some sort of diety because he died tragically, and tragically young. If he was still around I doubt we'd even notice him.

So to answer the original question, Jaco - for me - is the most overratted bassist of all time.

:)[/quote]

It was his style and innovation that caused him to be regarded as "some sort of diety". Was Miller so heavily influenced by Jaco because he was dead? I don't think so. I can't even imagine what bass would be had Jaco not been alive.

Just thought you should know. And perhaps actually listen to his work before trying to give an opinion.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='670778' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:28 AM']Strange thread this- like what is overated?- seems to me this thread is about technique not musical ability. Theres a quote on here that says Jamerson would be a better bass player if he played with two fingers- no doubt some bright spark will say he would be better if he slapped or double thumbed. Both suggestions however will miss the point its not how you play but WHAT you play. There will never be another as successful as Jamerson and his music will be listened to in 100 years- same as the beatles and mozart. Can you say the same about Level 42 ( I still think Mark King is a terrific bass player though) - but its just chops.

Bob[/quote]

Got to agree about Level 42 , Mark King can play but there music is the dullest thing, most soul less music ive ever heard

[quote name='Rich' post='190234' date='May 2 2008, 06:20 AM']I can't tell if he's overrated or not... I can never bloody hear him... :lol:
On the odd occasions when he does poke his head through the mix, my first thought is always "Ye gods, what a [i]terrible[/i] bass sound..." :)[/quote]

Maybe thats the reason for the terrible bass sound, he can't hear himself either :rolleyes:

[quote name='Josh' post='671632' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:01 PM']That's seriously uncalled for if you ask me.

Seems like a humble guy from what I've seen.[/quote]

Calm down love, i'm not stupid enough to think he's really a twat, it's a 'god you're a twat' thing like a mate wearing his bluetooth headset when he's not driving, if you take it out of context, then it's easy to go off on one, feeling hurt.
The 'he sounds like a drinks carton stuck in a bmx wheel' was more offensive as far as i'm concerned.
Get a grip duck, no offence intended, if you like bbd, then nice one, if i got that upset by the things being said about L42 and Mark King on here, i'd surely kill myself.

It was a joke, ok?

f***s sake, brew anyone?

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='670778' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:28 AM']Strange thread this- like what is overated?- seems to me this thread is about technique not musical ability. Theres a quote on here that says Jamerson would be a better bass player if he played with two fingers- no doubt some bright spark will say he would be better if he slapped or double thumbed. Both suggestions however will miss the point its not how you play but WHAT you play. There will never be another as successful as Jamerson and his music will be listened to in 100 years- same as the beatles and mozart. Can you say the same about Level 42 ( I still think Mark King is a terrific bass player though) - but its just chops.

Bob[/quote]

the Jamerson thing was possibly me? My post was in reply to Jamerson comments before, and I stand by it. After Motown he didn't get the work due to his style. In no way was I saying he was overrated, but if he had adapted - which he was unwilling (unable?) - to do he might still be with us making great music.

Jamerson with one finger has his place in history as a musical and bass playing genius/colossus. Jamerson with a picking hand technique to match his musicality would probably have kept working and still be with us.

I thought Jameson's lack of work came down to him being unreliable at that time..... as he had 'issues'..? and wasn't down to his playing...??

Ditto Jaco later on..

FWIW, I thought Jaco really raised the bar in his time....
His work might not rate now..but that happens in all walks of life..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='673232' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:35 PM']FWIW, I thought Jaco really raised the bar in his time....
His work might not rate now..but that happens in all walks of life..[/quote]

I think a lot of people knock Jaco because he is otherwise held in universal high regard - a kind of 'anti' statement. IMHO, no-one has improved on what he did at the heights of his career as a player and musician. There are those that have taken the bass elsewhere and done other wonderful things but Jaco's thing was, at its best, timeless and unsurpassed.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='673256' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:01 PM']I can't be arsed to read the whole thread I'm sure Jaco, Flea, Wooten, Sheehan, Miller Ect.... have come up and yuah they are all over-rated especially Jaco and Sheehan.[/quote]

Ah, lame. Another weak opinion with no substance.

Try playing with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhkPSEXs1Q"]this[/url] much groove, tone and fluidity. It's never gonna happen, not in your whole life time. And if you can't at least respect his playing and achievements, well then good luck becoming a respected musician yourself.

Edited by deathpanda

I think cliff burton is very overrated as is chris squire. sorry but i cant stand burtons tone,i liked his flares and attitude though.I like yes especially the first album,i just dont think there is anything mind blowing about squires playing,although he is very good.

[quote name='deathpanda' post='673457' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:42 PM']Ah, lame. Another weak opinion with no substance.

Try playing with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhkPSEXs1Q"]this[/url] much groove, tone and fluidity. It's never gonna happen, not in your whole life time. And if you can't at least respect his playing and achievements, well then good luck becoming a respected musician yourself.[/quote]

When did I say I didn't respect them as musicians? I just said they were over-rated, I think I'll get further by looking at all different styles and enjoying them than being a fanboy.

IMO Jaco was a good bass player but nowhere near as good as people make him out to be.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='673240' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:46 PM']I think a lot of people knock Jaco because he is otherwise held in universal high regard - a kind of 'anti' statement. IMHO, no-one has improved on what he did at the heights of his career as a player and musician. There are those that have taken the bass elsewhere and done other wonderful things but Jaco's thing was, at its best, timeless and unsurpassed.[/quote]

+1 on this

Well Mrs Clarky thinks I am a great bass player. Bless her but I am not technically gifted (16th note punk being my forte) thus I am overrated :-)

More seriously, overrated implies highly praised which for most bass players is irrelevant as we 'do a job' for the majority of members of the public (how many outside of the bass community have even heard of Jamerson despite knowing loads of records he has played on?). This tends to imply the pyrotechnical bass players for the most part that are admired by bassists! Given BC is populated by bassists then virtually anyone put forward will offend certain members of BC. But I have to say technicality for its own sake (eg that dreadful Alain Caron slap-fest clip on BC recently) leaves me absolutely cold.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='673513' date='Dec 3 2009, 06:33 PM']But I have to say technicality for its own sake ([b]eg that dreadful Alain Caron slap-fest clip on BC recently[/b]) leaves me absolutely cold.[/quote]

+1 on this too.

That clip sounds like someone dropping a box of cutlery down the stairs!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='673582' date='Dec 3 2009, 08:10 PM']To be honest, I think it was when I saw Pino's name, I lost the will to live. Take those blinkers off...please.[/quote]

I think you are taking it too seriously anyway it's not who is a good bassist it's who is overrated, as I said before I'm sure Jaco is good but no where near as good as the hero worship he gets would suggest.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='673608' date='Dec 3 2009, 08:37 PM']I think you are taking it too seriously anyway it's not who is a good bassist it's who is overrated, as I said before I'm sure Jaco is good but no where near as good as the hero worship he gets would suggest.[/quote]

How much of his work have you listened to? This has been the main problem with Victor - everyone just picks up on his 'party pieces', which are strictly for trade shows, etc. This is a guy who started playing bass at 3 years'old and was playing major shows - and I'm not just talking crappy pub gigs, but supporting the like of Curtis Mayfield - when he was 6 years' old. Try reading the biography that's available. He is just a genius, and probably the most gifted musician on the planet.

As far as Jaco is concerned, listen to his first solo album. I'm not trying to be patronising, but study it, and then make your comments.

There will always be Jaco bashers. In that era there were IMO a few players turning things upside down in the bass world. They did some great things, things that I reckon shouldn't be forgotten or listed as overrated. Those few lead the way for bass as it is today. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='673582' date='Dec 3 2009, 08:10 PM']To be honest, I think it was when I saw Pino's name, I lost the will to live. Take those blinkers off...please.[/quote]

I rate him as overrated purely based on from what I've heard of him, and with respect to him and his ability, I don't get any buzz out of his playing. I don't think anyone has thrown any slander about him around in this thread.

Why should people retract their opinions merely because you think differently?

If such was the case this place would be fairly Republican and increasingly dull.