Why become a member? ×

Overrated Bassists.

Josh

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='675983' date='Dec 6 2009, 06:55 PM']I'm still waiting.[/quote]

If you want mine (which you probably don't) it's music that convey the performer's feeling of the song whether it's their song or not.
This man exudes it for me.

I always find listening to Jaco leaves me feeling sterile but that's my opinion and that is what this thread is about.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='675988' date='Dec 6 2009, 07:02 PM']If you want mine (which you probably don't) it's music that convey the performer's feeling of the song whether it's their song or not.
This man exudes it for me.

I always find listening to Jaco leaves me feeling sterile but that's my opinion and that is what this thread is about.[/quote]

Fair enough - and I dig the White Stripes as well, Jack White is amazing - but I'm noticing a lack of bass playing that clip... :)

I think your point - and it's an utterly valid one - is that 'music' made by the likes of Jaco et al ain't your thing (?) - therefor any bassist that plays that sort of stuff (i.e. jazz-informed music with a tendancy to feature soloists) is more than likely to be overated...

I could say the same anout the 1000s of guitar bands, pop bands, indie bands etc.(and quite a lot of jazz bands too!) out there - with some very important exceptions - but then we're into a debate on taste not being overated - Jaco was a monster musician besides being a brilliant bassist - I don't know how that makes him overated? If you don't like his stuff then fair enough...

Mike

A valid reason for me to say that Jaco is overrated: a little while back in the alt.guitar.bass newsgroup, someone said that Jaco had influenced every fretless bassist on the planet. As I'd been playing fretless for years before I'd even heard of him, and since then have only heard two or three of his tracks, then that statement was very definitely overrating him.

[quote name='urb' post='675971' date='Dec 6 2009, 06:46 PM']Yeah that'll be that really souless, crappy singing, really awful bass and voice duet - I hate that too... :)

No idea why anyone would enjoy that at all :rolleyes:[/quote]

I couldn't agree more! Bobby Mcferrin is just so stale and souless (apart from in 'Don't Worry Be Happy' of course, that's a well funny song). :lol:

(beaut of a bass by the way)