Why become a member? ×

I don't really understand Rickenbackers

cloudburst

With reference to the post topic, I don't understand them either..

I'd have one to hang on a wall cuz they do look cool if not a bit arkward but most certainly not to play. Sorry guys, can't stand 'em on both their sound or the way they feel. I'm not saying they're a bad bass, I'm sure many people enjoy their quirky character but not for me.

I'll stick to my Warwick thanks :P

I absolutely WANT to like the RIC neck. I've been lusting after one for years, but never taken the plunge.

I tried one in Soundslive and it sounded totally dead...no twang....could have been old strings. This was a few years back as well.

I also disliked the ergonomics.

Part of me thinks I can just push through all of that and get used to it, just because they look so frickin' cool. Looking cool is more important than most things.

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1342797209' post='1741158']...I'll stick to my Warwick thanks :P
[/quote]

That's just it. Horses for courses. :)

To me Warwicks look like perfectly good basses but with a dildo for an upper horn. Hey fine when your comfortable with your own sexuality like. :lol:

I'm going to link this to Rickresouce and you're all gonna get flamed!! :modspank:

(joking by the way!)

Love 'em to bits, so I'm always on the plus side, despite some bad experiences!

As for the tone, I love my Ric to sound like a Ric - clangy, toppy, middy, and cutting - not for everyone, and I don't use it in both my bands (P-bass for the R'n'B trio, need more floor-shake and bottom). But I've never recorded with anything else, and never will.

I don't get 'modern' basses (anything after about 1970 I suppose, before I even existed!), same as some don't get Rics. Don't fret it, just play what you feel and roll with it.

For me, there's only three types of bass player - those who love Rics, and those who haven't played one yet, and those who are in denial!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342798707' post='1741200']

To me Warwicks look like perfectly good basses but with a dildo for an upper horn. Hey fine when your comfortable with your own sexuality like. :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:

Seriously though, this is it. I don't understand lots of things; the obsession with b*llocks like TOWIE, why some people think Beyonce makes good records, the Crankies, the Chuckle Brothers, why some people like gherkins, Mick Hucknells "singing" (I use the term loosely), why nobody else thinks Angelina Jolie has horrible arms, ad infinitum. It's just down to personal taste. To use my age old analogy, just because my shoes feel comfy to me doesn't mean they'll fit you. ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1342803868' post='1741330']
:lol:

Seriously though, this is it. I don't understand lots of things; the obsession with b*llocks like TOWIE, why some people think Beyonce makes good records, the Crankies, the Chuckle Brothers, why some people like gherkins, Mick Hucknells "singing" (I use the term loosely), why nobody else thinks Angelina Jolie has horrible arms, ad infinitum. It's just down to personal taste. To use my age old analogy, just because my shoes feel comfy to me doesn't mean they'll fit you. ;)
[/quote]

+1 especially Angelina's spindly veiny forearms spoiling an otherwise damn perfect package. But nobody disses the Crankies on my watch... they were .... well .... fandabidozy.

Not. :D

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1342803868' post='1741330']
...why some people think Beyonce makes good records, the Crankies, the Chuckle Brothers, why some people like gherkins, Mick Hucknells "singing" (I use the term loosely), why nobody else thinks Angelina Jolie has horrible arms, ad infinitum...[/quote]

Yes, you leave the Krankies out of this!
If an old woman of pensionable age wants to dress up as a schoolboy and pretend her husband is her dad, then so what?
It's a free country last time I looked (it isn't of course, but you know what I mean).

Rics? I like the look of 'em, I like the various sounds they make, but I find them difficult to play.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342805590' post='1741359']
+1 especially Angelina's spindly veiny forearms spoiling an otherwise damn perfect package.
[/quote]

Excluding her trout face, of course.

Anyhooo... this is the best I've ever heard a Ric sound:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCgO_COsUM[/media]

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1342806809' post='1741384']
And that has become even funnier since it came out they were swingers :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Not a set of keys I'd be particularly charmed to pick out of the fruit bowl.

It has to be asked - what kind of person takes the RISK of remaining at a swingers party once Jimmy Krankie arrives???

CB

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342798707' post='1741200']

To me Warwicks look like perfectly good basses but with a dildo for an upper horn. [i][b]Hey fine when your comfortable with your own sexuality like.[/b][/i] :lol:
[/quote]

I am indeed, cheers man! :)

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1342807525' post='1741397']
...what kind of person takes the RISK of remaining at a swingers party once Jimmy Krankie arrives???[/quote]

A paedo who wants to avoid being put on the sex offenders register?

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1342807525' post='1741397']
Not a set of keys I'd be particularly charmed to pick out of the fruit bowl.

It has to be asked - what kind of person takes the RISK of remaining at a swingers party once Jimmy Krankie arrives???

CB
[/quote]

One in need of medication. :lol:

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342806438' post='1741378']
Excluding her trout face, of course.

[/quote]

Oh no man that's her bestest bits.

Cool choons like. ;)

There's my Cousin Randy (hey he ex-pated to France quite a few years back, look him up!)
Giving Geo Harrison a Rick; then shaking hands with Sir Paul, tho he wrote "It looks like I'm about to slap him!"
I even saw the letter on NEMS stationary that Geo wrote thanking him. Pretty cool for Geo to have done that.
Minneapolis MN way back when.

Ric Bass-
I had a FG 4003 and a MG 4004 Laredo, whichis something a bit different.

I liked them both, but sold them both when I made a move and had to trim the herd.
Damn, I let some fine one's go then inc. a Sadowsky, Lakland USA Decade, Lull T-Bass and a G&L LCF Centennial ltd edition. :angry:

How I miss them all.

Wouldn't mind having EITHER Ric back in the fold. I kind dug them.

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342806438' post='1741378']

[/quote]

Oh yeah, loving a bit of Om!

Of course, he was rocking the Ric sound back in Sleep too - it's been a bit of a staple in stoner rock circles for some time, looking at Sleep, Kyuss, etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

Good topic.

I borrowed one from a work mate a few months ago and had a noodle for half hour. Didn't actually like the look of it (the white binding and slab-o-plastic pickguard was off-putting - there's shots up on BC of plain finish ones with non-white plates that do look peachy), it was horrifically set up (high action, the intonation was off), but note for note, it sounded very pleasing, either direct or through my Sansamp.

To be honest, all my playing life I wanted Geddy Lee's tone, only to discover many years ago that he used a Jazz on a lot of the early recordings. I get a similar tone out of my existing set up (Thunderbird/Sansamp), so I'm happy.
P

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342821213' post='1741658']
I liked them both, but sold them both when I made a move and had to trim the herd.
Damn, I let some fine one's go then inc. a Sadowsky, Lakland USA Decade, Lull T-Bass and a G&L LCF Centennial ltd edition. :angry:
[/quote]

This bit reminds me, how many of them were Fender styled? Because seems the rule is, if you play somehting Fender styled, it is refered to by its own manufacturer, but if you playt somehting rick styled, you get claimed as a rick player, even if it wasn't a Rick. The lsit of Rick players on Wikipedia includes Peter Hook who played a Hondo, Cliff Burton who played an Aria (and a blatant one too, it had the mudbucker), Lemmy who probably started off with a CMI and plays various custom copies and the guy from the Jam, who also played an Aria (but at least probably owned a Rick).

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1342862677' post='1741922']
.To be honest, all my playing life I wanted Geddy Lee's tone, only to discover many years ago that he used a Jazz on a lot of the early recordings. I get a similar tone out of my existing set up (Thunderbird/Sansamp), so I'm happy.
P
[/quote]

Geddy only started recording with the Jazz on 'Moving Pictures' - maybe (I've read also) a track or two on 'Permanent Waves'.

Classic Ged tone? Ric all the way, but add studio trickery, compression....and Ged's technique!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1342822387' post='1741689']
Oh yeah, loving a bit of Om!

Of course, he was rocking the Ric sound back in Sleep too - it's been a bit of a staple in stoner rock circles for some time, looking at Sleep, Kyuss, etc:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE[/media]
[/quote]

I was going to post that video, but forgot.
Can't wait to see Om in September!!!

Al Cisneros makes me want a Ric.
Cliff Burton makes me want a Ric to jam in different pickups...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1342872535' post='1742129']
Geddy only started recording with the Jazz on 'Moving Pictures' - maybe (I've read also) a track or two on 'Permanent Waves'.

Classic Ged tone? Ric all the way, but add studio trickery, compression....and Ged's technique!
[/quote]

He used a Precision as well...the one he cut into a teardrop shape.
P