Why become a member? ×

Bass play - a pick or no pick?

Alex Nikitin

Fingers for all of those. There is a certain sound and attitude to be had from playing with a pick and some of my favourite bands had pick-using bassists so no disrespect to pickers but there it is.

All except the 'more talented' part, you can't gauge someone's talent by their string plucking choices.

Edited by surfinbernard

Hi Alex, see you're new here, so I guess the question is serious ;)

You can "Groove" with [b]both [/b]pick and fingers.
Using [b]both[/b] shows you are more talented. ;)
I have respect for a player who uses [b]both[/b]...well!

I would guess that these days many more players use fingers rather than pick, but one is no better than the other.

FWIW I'm predominantly a 'fingers player'

Be profficient and confident with both, and use what the song calls for. Some songs sound better with fingers, some with a pick. I'm mostly a pick player with the band, but mostly fingerstyle at home. Being good at both allows me to choose what the song needs, and also means if i drop my pick i'm not stuck in the sh*t trying to find another, i can just carry on.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1342609241' post='1737726']
I'm mostly a pick player with the band, but mostly fingerstyle at home. Being good at both allows me to choose what the song needs, and also means if i drop my pick i'm not stuck in the sh*t trying to find another, i can just carry on.

Liam
[/quote]

Same here. I find i get a better grove at home with fingers , but cant get enough speed up at gigs so tend to use the pick 99% of the time. Its something i really should work on.

I tend to need my fingers to hold my pick so i guess its both ;-)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1342607888' post='1737690']
The fingers are far more versatile. That's all there is to it. There may be pick players who deny it, but it is true.
[/quote]

Using both is most versatile. Try playing the intro run on No More Heroes with your fingers. You might be able to do it, but it just doesn't sound as good.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1342609513' post='1737740']
Same here. I find i get a better grove at home with fingers , but cant get enough speed up at gigs so tend to use the pick 99% of the time. Its something i really should work on.

[b]I tend to need my fingers to hold my pick so i guess its both ;-)[/b]
[/quote]

That's very true, in that case you could say that your thumb is used too. I can play my bands stuff fingerstyle, it just sounds better with a pick and it means i don't get my sweaty hands all over my strings as much.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1342609702' post='1737746']
That's very true, in that case you could say that your thumb is used too. I can play my bands stuff fingerstyle, it just sounds better with a pick and it means i don't get my sweaty hands all over my strings as much.

Liam
[/quote]

I really wish i didn't have to use a pick. It sounds stupid but i dont really like it a lot of the time.At home everything sounds fine with fingers but at gigs it all goes to pot. I think part of it is my band need me driving the songs along, and the pick sound works better, plus my speed is better with a pick, and it helps me keep the drummer in check.

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342607743' post='1737683']
[b][color=#000080]Playing bass with a pick or fingers[/color][/b]

[color=#000080]which gives more groove? which shows you are more talented? which is more respected?[/color]
[/quote]

[b]Don't[/b] go on Youtube with this one. I've seen less ball bags in the shower after a match, than on that load of sh*te.

In short, you can groove with both techniques.

Having the ability to use both shows you have more capability in your playing than someone limited to one technique.

Both are equally well respected.

Tone is the real changing factor - and it's an individual call as to what you prefer, and what the song calls for.

Sadly, pick players still get ragged on sometimes because it's seen as 'easier'... However if you heard me play with one you will probably think otherwise :P

You can groove with either, and how talented (or well practiced) a player can be isn't affected by whether they use their fingers or a pick.

However I think playing with your fingers does give you moren flexibility, as different types of stroke can give you a totally different sound.. From a light soft touch, to a sharp aggressive strike.

If you want to be totally versatile learn both ways... But the golden rule would be to just do whatever YOU want. Whether it be because its easier, you prefer the sound, or just because you think it looks cooler! ;)

EDIT: Oh!... And right hand muting is SO MUCH EASIER if you play with a pick!

Edited by chrismuzz

[color=#000080]For all my music life I’ve seen so many bassists playing slow beat music with a pick, and I questioned myself plenty of time, why do they do that?[/color]
[color=#000080]I can understand when some music genres (e.g. death metal) mostly require a bassist to play 16[sup]th[/sup] and 32[sup]nd[/sup] notes which might be a bit too fast for fingers.[/color]

[color=#000080]As for soundung itself, a decent effect pedal board or processor can turn a bass sound into any tone wanted.[/color]

[color=#000080]So IMO finger play is more respected, apart from few exclusions.[/color] [color=#000080]No offence to pick-style bassists[/color]

I play with a pick nearly all of the time...

Interestingly I find I can get a wider range of sounds from what I'm doing with a pick to fingers. I can play with fingers to a degree but I just don't enjoy it as much most of the time.

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1342611271' post='1737795']
[color=#000080]For all my music life I’ve seen so many bassists playing slow beat music with a pick, and I questioned myself plenty of time, why do they do that?[/color]
[color=#000080]I can understand when some music genres (e.g. death metal) mostly require a bassist to play 16[sup]th[/sup] and 32[sup]nd[/sup] notes which might be a bit too fast for fingers.[/color]

[color=#000080]As for soundung itself, a decent effect pedal board or processor can turn a bass sound into any tone wanted.[/color]

[color=#000080]So IMO finger play is more respected, apart from few exclusions.[/color] [color=#000080]No offence to pick-style bassists[/color]
[/quote]

You prefer fingerstyle, go for it! So do I :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1342611415' post='1737798']
I can play with fingers to a degree but I just don't enjoy it as much most of the time.
[/quote]

This is an extremely valid reason, even if it's a player's only reason. If it's fun, DO IT :D