Why become a member? ×

landlord switched off the mics because of over run

Ou7shined

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342359462' post='1733663']
Having been involved in drafting use agreements for major concert venues, you'll find it has a lot less to do with the so-called local "miserable bastards" residents objections to noise than it has to do with concerns for the safety of attendees and working time regulations, for venue custodial and security personnel. Timings are carefully coordinate with local policing provision, and usually set to allow attendees safe and ready access to local public transport routes and hubs in order to leave the area afterwards. Yes, of course, noise pollution is a consideration, but it is by no means the primary consideration.
[/quote]

Considering what silddx does, there is a certain irony regards your post :) SILDDX, SORT YOURSELF OUT MAN. GET YOURSELF INFORMED ;)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1342362431' post='1733711']
3 hours FFS! They obviously ain't doing enough gigs.
[/quote]

Springsteen's renowned for doing long sets.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342356606' post='1733632']
Oh come on guys. Has no one here ever over-ran... or is it that we are mainly just all support acts who can take liberties and leave it up to the main act to take the brunt?
[/quote]

Or the main band hasn't arrived in time and just as you're finishing the set someone tells you you have carry on for another 40 mins! :blink:

But, I suppose that's not over-running.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1342362892' post='1733727']
Sorry, thank you, you were entirely right to amend :)
[/quote]

I'm a massive Soundgarden fan. I saw them many years ago play for 2 hours straight. Then went off and came back for 30 mins of encores. They went off again, and came back.
By that point I was rather bored and left...
Apparently they played for another 25 mins.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342348543' post='1733456']
'When did England become a police state?'
'Around forty years ago, Steven'.
[/quote]
He should be thankful to have stopped just before the snipers opened up..! :mellow:

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342362802' post='1733724']
Or the main band hasn't arrived in time and just as you're finishing the set someone tells you you have carry on for another 40 mins! :blink:

But, I suppose that's not over-running.
[/quote]
Nah that's not over-running. That's just doing what you've been told by them that's in charge. Hope you upped your fee for the extra work like. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342366188' post='1733785']
Nah that's not over-running. That's just doing what you've been told by them that's in charge. Hope you upped your fee for the extra work like. :D
[/quote]

We were given all the main band's booze.
I have no idea what happened.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342363063' post='1733731']
I'm a massive Soundgarden fan. I saw them many years ago play for 2 hours straight. Then went off and came back for 30 mins of encores. They went off again, and came back.
By that point I was rather bored and left...
Apparently they played for another 25 mins.
[/quote]

Me too (you can probably tell by the name) but they've never really been all that great live. I don't blame you.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342366294' post='1733792']
Me too (you can probably tell by the name) but they've never really been all that great live. I don't blame you.
[/quote]

They used to be good, but not for that length of time... in one evening.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342366550' post='1733798']
Lots of haters hating the Boss but no love for Macca. (kinda why I posted it here and not in OT)
I'm personally brimming with ambivalent about both but I thought there might have been some sympathy for that '60's beat combo dude. :)
[/quote]

I hate his 'royal' smugness...

What's with all the Springsteen hate on here? Thought there'd at least be a little bit of love for the boss (and the excellent Mr Gary W Tallent) round these parts.

If they were just rounding off the last song and saying goodbye then it seems a bit harsh chopping them off at that point.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1342369910' post='1733861']
What's with all the Springsteen hate on here? Thought there'd at least be a little bit of love for the boss (and the excellent Mr Gary W Tallent) round these parts.
[/quote]

Well according to that Seven Ages of Rock programme that was on the telly a while back, he sold out and single handedly sounded the death knell for all credible rock music.... thus driving it undergound for folk like me to enjoy. :D

If they were just rounding off the last song and saying goodbye then it seems a bit harsh chopping them off at that point.
[/quote]

Ah but if a what was said few posts back is anything to go by, if there was an ounce of professionalism in his body he should have been checking his watch every few minutes and timed it just right. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342371796' post='1733894']
Ah but if a what was said few posts back is anything to go by, if there was an ounce of professionalism in his body he should have been checking his watch every few minutes and timed it just right. :)
[/quote]

Or it should have been on his autocue.

[/quote]

They were 30 mins over the curfew and from tweets going on they would have played more

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342374426' post='1733949']
They were 30 mins over the curfew and from tweets going on they would have played more
[/quote]

If that's actually the case then IMO it's gross irresponsibility on both the organisers and performers parts.

I think that's out of order too. I wouldn't be so upset by it as to say it's grossly irresponsible or anything - you know that's just rock and roll to me :D But having gone 1 maybe 2 songs max over our limit occasionally in my entire lifetime of gigging, I agree half an hour over for an open event is pushing it.
Although the topic was more about the irony in how even the big guys get a ticking off as well as us little leaguers, rather than if in fact an "offence" had been committed which is why I'm guessing we are getting the big reaction from some guys here.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342378359' post='1734046']
Although the topic was more about the irony in how even the big guys get a ticking off as well as us little leaguers, rather than if in fact an "offence" had been committed which is why I'm guessing we are getting the big reaction from some guys here.
[/quote]

My take on it is that the "big guys" should be held to the same rules as the "little leaguers". And it should apply to both the performers and organisers. Maybe at big name festival level the artists have a bit more of a say in running orders and timings, but the organisers should plan a workable event in advance and then make sure that the performers stick to the agreed schedule.